Why am I not losing weight? Feeling discouraged.

Options
Hi MFP community,

I’m hoping someone has words of advice. I’ve been on MPF for 5 weeks now. I exercise every day: circuit training twice a week, run/elliptical 4 times a week, and one <25 mile bike ride. I have certainly been gaining muscle. I’ve been meeting my 1200 net calorie goal 80% of the time, but haven’t lost any weight in the last three weeks. I feel strong, but I really want to lose these last 10 pounds. Any words of wisdom?

Thank you!

Replies

• jannekejlang
    jannekejlang Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I am.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What’s your weight and height? How much are you trying to lose? Have you taken body measurements?
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Are you having cheat days? Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What happens the 20% of the time that you don't meet your calorie goal? Are you over it, under it, or don't know because you don't track those times? By how much are you over or under your goal during those times?
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I’d shoot for hitting that calorie goal more often than 80%. Your exercise is good for your health, make sure you’re not over estimating your calorie burn from exercise.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I’m 5’ 8” and 160. My goal is 150. I started MPF at 168. I started taking measurements last week.

The other 20% of the time is usually one day a week when I drink a couple glasses of wine with friends or go out for a nice meal. On those days I typically track my workout and breakfast and lunch, but don’t complete the journal entry. But on my “cheat days” I do a big cardio day like a bike ride or long run. I’ve been logging my exercise calories using the presets that are in MPF. Is there a better way to do it?

I definitely feel stronger than when I started so it’s hard to imagine I’m not gaining muscle.

Is your scale not budging but are your measurements? You might not see a change in the scale always!
  • jannekejlang
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Very informative and sounds exactly like what’s happening. I have my profile set at losing 2 pounds a week and so the suggested calorie intake is 1200 net calories. Are you suggesting I may want to change my settings to lose 1 pound a week?

Also, I’m not sure about my activity level. I sit at a desk all day but I bike for transportation. I typically log 30-45 minutes of biking just getting around town. As long as I log my commute as exercise should I keep my profile at sedentary?
  • jannekejlang
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The bike speed related estimates in the database are a pretty hopeless way to estimate calories burned while cycling.
    Strava (free app) would probably be better.

For running the formula
    Bodyweight in pounds X miles run X 0.63 (efficiency ratio) gives you a net calorie estimate.