Loosing weight too fast!

Options
I go to the gym 6 day a week, but I'm starting to go under my weight that I want to maintain. So I'm thinking I'm over doing it. I'm thinking of cutting back and adding an extra day rest. So my question is double really. What days should I take off to optimise my rest and build a little more and how long should I stay in the gym for a session?
I'm 6ft2 and weigh 180lbs. I have an almost visible 6 pack, just to give an indication of fat level, as I don't know.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    How fast are you losing weight?
  • IamSimonIam
    IamSimonIam Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In the last 2 weeks I've lost 4 pounds
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Eat more and train the same if your happy with yr workout days.
  • IamSimonIam
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »

Yeah, I love going 6 days a week. I don't feel right when I don't. That very well might be a good idea. Just have to stuff myself if I'm to eat more. I'm pretty much full and eating from 8am to 8pm.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Yeah, I love going 6 days a week. I don't feel right when I don't. That very well might be a good idea. Just have to stuff myself if I'm to eat more. I'm pretty much full and eating from 8am to 8pm.

Some easy ways to increase your calories without adding in a lot of bulk would be to choose fattier cuts of meat and use additional oil/butter when cooking. I doubt your level of fullness would change by making these adjustments. :smile:
  • IamSimonIam
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »

Some easy ways to increase your calories without adding in a lot of bulk would be to choose fattier cuts of meat and use additional oil/butter when cooking. I doubt your level of fullness would change by making these adjustments. :smile:

My main worry is I'm loosing muscle. My body composition hasn't change, as far as I can see. I like to stay lean and have my abs just about visible, or actually visible, so I avoid fat if I can. I do eat healthy fats, such as cheese, whole eggs, butter etc, but fatty meat is a no no.
  • Tic78
    edited April 2019
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Could always blend up some shakes. Milk, oats, banana, whey, peanut butter, drizzle of honey 😋easy way to get another 800 calories

4lb is a big loss though unless it’s been water weight. If you have been working out and counting calories for a while at your weight you shouldn’t be losing that amount

Edit

Soz just noticed was 4lb in 2 weeks rather than 1 week. Should be easy to increase your calories and go to 1lb week drop max.

Your using a trend app? So the 4lb loss was that from your moving average? Just trying to rule out that you had ate something high in sodium/salt or whatever
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »

My main worry is I'm loosing muscle. My body composition hasn't change, as far as I can see. I like to stay lean and have my abs just about visible, or actually visible, so I avoid fat if I can. I do eat healthy fats, such as cheese, whole eggs, butter etc, but fatty meat is a no no.

Gotcha! In that case if it were me I would probably start by adding in a protein bar every day (or shake but I usually find those to be more filling).
  • IamSimonIam
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Could always blend up some shakes. Milk, oats, banana, whey, peanut butter, drizzle of honey 😋easy way to get another 800 calories

4lb is a big loss though unless it’s been water weight. If you have been working out and counting calories for a while at your weight you shouldn’t be losing that amount

Edit

Soz just noticed was 4lb in 2 weeks rather than 1 week. Should be easy to increase your calories and go to 1lb week drop max.

Your using a trend app? So the 4lb loss was that from your moving average? Just trying to rule out that you had ate something high in sodium/salt or whatever
    My average weight has been constant for over 6 months. I've lost fat and gained muscle instead. I may have changed because I've reached the plateau where I've very little fat to loose now, and I now have to slow down or eat more to keep my weight at 182lbs.
  • IamSimonIam
    Options
    @Tic78. My calories are 2150 per day.
  • IamSimonIam
    Options
    Okay....thank you guys. So the consensus is that I need to go to at least 2800 calories. I just downloaded a TDEE app and put in all my stats. It came up with 2800 calories with working out 5 to 6 days a week.
  • Tic78
    Options
    I am 5’10 168lbs reasonably low bf % and I cut on 2200 cals per day. I also train 6 days and would say maintenance for me is around 3000-3500 depending on how many steps I do per day.

If you don’t have a trend app like happy scale or libra then I would get one. Free apps but will let you become more aware of normal fluctuations. Also if finding it hard to get the calories in then drinking them is the way to go. You don’t have to eat clean, it is ok to eat things are calorie dense such as peanut butter. Hitting your calorie goals and macro split is key.
  • IamSimonIam
    Options
    I am 5’10 168lbs reasonably low bf % and I cut on 2200 cals per day. I also train 6 days and would say maintenance for me is around 3000-3500 depending on how many steps I do per day.

If you don’t have a trend app like happy scale or libra then I would get one. Free apps but will let you become more aware of normal fluctuations. Also if finding it hard to get the calories in then drinking them is the way to go. You don’t have to eat clean, it is ok to eat things are calorie dense such as peanut butter. Hitting your calorie goals and macro split is key.

Thank you. That's great advice. I'll take that and run with it.

• Tic78
    Options
    For what it’s worth I’d imagine 2 things have possibly happened.

First perhaps you have underestimated the calories you have eaten. This is easy done, you forget to add something, pinch something off your partner/kids plate, make an eyeball calculation or when out and you have to guesstimate the calories in food it’s quite easy to underestimate.

Second it’s also easy to over estimate calorie burn.

The reason I think either/both of these are likely to have happened is at your height/weight your eating well under maintenance.

I’d guess you have actually been on a slow cut all along. Masked by water weight as your body is retaining water to repair muscle due to the quantity of workouts and the demands your putting on yourself while eating under maintenance for a prolonged period of time.

It’s likely that 4lb loss was your body finally letting some water weight go. Make sure you keep your water intake high as that always helps.

Don’t underestimate the benefits of a diet break or eating above maintenance for a week or so. It really can make all the difference. I have learned this myself the hard way.

On the plus side you are clearly doing well. The ab definition is a clear indicator of a low body fat.

I only mention the above as if you want to recomp you need to be a lot closer to your maintenance calories and by the sounds of it you will actually be eating quite close to your bmr rather than tdee.

Keep up the good work 💪

• IamSimonIam
    Options
    @Tic78 Thank you. That was very insightful, and I think correct. I do put everything into the tracker, but I'm way under what I should be eating. I've upped my intake to 2700 calories, and keeping with the clean eating philosophy I've started with. I was at 2150 calories, so I'll see how this goes for a week or so. Hopefully I'll gain back the 4lbs and be back at 180lbs soon enough. I'm not sure I mentioned that I'm 2 hours or more in the gym, 6 days a week and take 2-3 minute rests between sets, I've also upped the weights gradually, so I think I've reached a point where increasing the calories is a must. Again, thank you everyone.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @Tic78 Thank you. That was very insightful, and I think correct. I do put everything into the tracker, but I'm way under what I should be eating. I've upped my intake to 2700 calories, and keeping with the clean eating philosophy I've started with. I was at 2150 calories, so I'll see how this goes for a week or so. Hopefully I'll gain back the 4lbs and be back at 180lbs soon enough. I'm not sure I mentioned that I'm 2 hours or more in the gym, 6 days a week and take 2-3 minute rests between sets, I've also upped the weights gradually, so I think I've reached a point where increasing the calories is a must. Again, thank you everyone.

2 hours in the gym 6 times a week? does that also include cardio?

I hit the gym 4 days/week 40-minute lifting workout, no need to do 2 hours/day unless you are training for some type of competition/even.

What lifting routine do you follow?
    how long have you been lifting?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1