Failing to reach my goals

Options
Hi everyone,

I am hoping your stories will help me. I have lost 80lbs and still have 30lbs to lose. Unfortunately I suffer from PCOS and hypothyroid and my sugar cravings are crazy. I have been trying for almost a year now to lose the last 30lbs but with no progress. I lose 10 and have something sweet and then eat like crap for a week and gain it back. My question is how did you finally get your mind right. It's mental space that isn't working. I workout 5-6 days a week and I know I am able to lose the weight if I kept at it. I need to get in the mental space as a professional body builder or personal trainer. Do you have any tricks. I am tired and exhausted. Thanks!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you had a diet break since losing 80lbs?
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I feel like I keep taking diet breaks with all those weeks of "cheating"
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    cloe31 wrote: »
    I feel like I keep taking diet breaks with all those weeks of "cheating"

But cheating is different to giving yourself permission to eat at maintenance.
  • cloe31
    Options
    To be honest no I have never done that I just swing back and forth to my plan and then having full on cheats. How long should I be at maintenance for before going back?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    To be honest no I have never done that I just swing back and forth to my plan and then having full on cheats. How long should I be at maintenance for before going back?

I'd go for at least a week, see if after that you're mentally ready for a deficit after that?
  • cloe31
    Options
    ok thanks I will try it
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Do you keep a food diary? Count calories? You mention the gym, how do control portions?
  • cloe31
    Options
    I have a trainer that does a meal and workout plan. Everything is measured with cups and weight. And I also write down what I eat everyday.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Eating at maintenance is how you'll spend the rest of your life (hopefully, at least that's the goal!) So it's a good idea to get some practice in now. That's the only way to stop the yo-yo.
  • TavistockToad
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have a trainer that does a meal and workout plan. Everything is measured with cups and weight. And I also write down what I eat everyday.

Have you told them about your feelings of burnout? What do they suggest?
  • cloe31
    Options
    I have talked about it but i think she just thinks i am not sticking to my plan. She never struggles with her eating so its hard to relate.
  • cloe31
    Options
    I also suffer with a bad relationship with food and binge eating
  • sindabeeson
    sindabeeson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and my doctor prescribed me Metformin. It helps with the cravings.
  • sindabeeson
    sindabeeson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I said helps. But what I meant to say is it took the cravings away completely.
  • eeanneli
    eeanneli Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would maybe also speak to yhem about building a few sweet things in. If you find sweet tooth takes you off plan try build in some and may feel less likely to go off plan for weeks
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I have talked about it but i think she just thinks i am not sticking to my plan. She never struggles with her eating so its hard to relate.

Will she do your plan for your diet break?
  • cloe31
    Options
    I have PCOS and my doctor prescribed me Metformin. It helps with the cravings.

I can't take metformin it makes me throw up
  • cloe31
    Options
    eeanneli wrote: »
    I would maybe also speak to yhem about building a few sweet things in. If you find sweet tooth takes you off plan try build in some and may feel less likely to go off plan for weeks

I think you are right I might need to add something sweet once a week or something like that
  • cloe31
    Options

No she won't. Like you said I might just need a brake from the constant dieting and trying to lose weight. This week I am concentrating on only eating when I am hungry and eating what I want.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

No she won't. Like you said I might just need a brake from the constant dieting and trying to lose weight. This week I am concentrating on only eating when I am hungry and eating what I want.

if intuitive eating works for you then that's great, a lot of people have to count calories because it doesn't.