Are calories really king?!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    When you have a small deficit and only 1200-1300 calories to eat, you really cannot eat whatever you want, at least not every day. If you don’t maximize nutrient-dense foods you will run out of calories and end up really hungry and/or eating more than you should. I need my calories to be in foods that will keep me full as long as possible while meeting my macros. Maintenance will be a different story.

True enough. I exercise to give me more calories to play with.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    When you’re lifting you don’t get many exercise calories, though. :neutral: I love hiking and intense cardio days.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I typically get about 100 for lower body days (30-40 minutes), 200 for upper body/core (55-65 minutes). I walk every day, shooting for 2 hours. Anything over 90 minutes is "good enough". If time gets away from me or the weather doesn't cooperate, 80 minutes on the glider.
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    edited April 2019
    I eat what I want when I want as long as it fits in but I am trying to be more mindful and I do want to eat more for health going forward so I'm making little changes as I go along but i will never force myself to eat something I dont want or like or upset myself by not eating something I really want. 28lbs down since Jan:)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    shaf238 wrote: »
    I'm eating a subway cookie right now (guess you would consider that 'unhealthy') but it's fine as it fits within my calorie goal and macros. So yeah, all about CICO (calories in, calories out).

Oatmeal raisin, I hope. Oh, man, now I'm drooling.

I also lost by just focusing on calories. I'd say I eat about 80% "healthy" and 20% "treats".
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I'm eating a subway cookie right now (guess you would consider that 'unhealthy') but it's fine as it fits within my calorie goal and macros. So yeah, all about CICO (calories in, calories out).

I also lost by just focusing on calories. I'd say I eat about 80% "healthy" and 20% "treats".

the subway cheesecake raspberry cookies - yum!

Second best!
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    When you have a small deficit and only 1200-1300 calories to eat, you really cannot eat whatever you want, at least not every day. If you don’t maximize nutrient-dense foods you will run out of calories and end up really hungry and/or eating more than you should. I need my calories to be in foods that will keep me full as long as possible while meeting my macros. Maintenance will be a different story.

While that may be true for many, it's not true for everyone. I don't get hungry easily and only start eating at 1pm usually. Some days I'll eat a toasted sandwich, some sweets and then a small snack when I get home at night. Those foods arent really healthy but its still around 1200 cals. I think it's about the person and what keeps them satiated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,021 Member
    Has no one posted a link to this thread yet?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it

I hope it's just that I missed the link on a repeat skim-through, because . . . jeesh.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Eat what you like, eat less of it, lose weight. You may be surprised how your tastes change as you move forward.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member

Double chocolate every time. I had another 2 today :#
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

the subway cheesecake raspberry cookies - yum!

Yessss, those are my favorite too!