Are calories really king?!

Options
So, what the opinion here about eating whatever you want as long as it fits in your calories, orrrr actually trying to fill your day with only healthy options. This is tough for me because i absolutely despise salads and most vegetables. I hate veggie burgers and whole wheat breads and just a lot of stuff your technically supposed to eat while "dieting". But i saw a light at the end of the tunnel when i started hearing about eating within your calorie range and still losing weight. Anyone have experience with this style of dieting (still eating mainly what you want instead of dying with salads). Ive made some better choices like cutting fast food out (for the most part) as well as soda and limiting my juices but i just cant do salads and veggie burgers and letttuce boats instead of tortillas for my tacos..i just don't have it in me! Right now im eating mac and cheese and a pork chop which is a small portion and fits within my calories and this makes me happy! so if this is still a way to lose weight, ill be stoked.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your definition of "healthy options" actually is... and different people find different things work for them.

Personally, I am less focused on calories right now and not actively trying to lose right now either (though I could stand to lose 15-20 lbs., but will get back to that later). But I am heavily focused on macros (carbs in particular, protein as a secondary) because I don't make my own insulin. Not eating carbs, and taking insulin timed and dosed to properly process protein consumption is very important to me.

It is unlikely that these same things are important to you. So the answer is to customize your own plan in a way that works for you. This will likely take some time for trial and error if you don't yet know what works and doesn't work.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    So, what the opinion here about eating whatever you want as long as it fits in your calories, orrrr actually trying to fill your day with only healthy options. This is tough for me because i absolutely despise salads and most vegetables. I hate veggie burgers and whole wheat breads and just a lot of stuff your technically supposed to eat while "dieting". But i saw a light at the end of the tunnel when i started hearing about eating within your calorie range and still losing weight. Anyone have experience with this style of dieting (still eating mainly what you want instead of dying with salads). Ive made some better choices like cutting fast food out (for the most part) as well as soda and limiting my juices but i just cant do salads and veggie burgers and letttuce boats instead of tortillas for my tacos..i just don't have it in me! Right now im eating mac and cheese and a pork chop which is a small portion and fits within my calories and this makes me happy! so if this is still a way to lose weight, ill be stoked.

I ate whatever I wanted before I was pregnant and lost 40 pounds and currently postpartum and eating what I want WITHIN CALORIE RANGE, I currently lost 34 pounds with 20 to go! But losing quite drastically.

Well, but in fairness, you haven't been able to eat at all for a while, right? Hope you are doing better and/or got the medical attention you needed. :)
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I ate whatever I wanted before I was pregnant and lost 40 pounds and currently postpartum and eating what I want WITHIN CALORIE RANGE, I currently lost 34 pounds with 20 to go! But losing quite drastically.

Well, but in fairness, you haven't been able to eat at all for a while, right? Hope you are doing better and/or got the medical attention you needed. :)

You are correct, eating more and more slightly daily! Doing better daily, no medical professional has been helpful lol. Even before though I was at a steady loss but now it’s coming off more quickly (assuming it’s from the water retention coming off from labor and surgery)!
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Calories for weight loss/gain.
    Macros for satiety and adherance.
    Food choices for physical and emotional health.
    Exercise for health and fitness.

Well said, Kim! Beautifully concise.
  • Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I also hate salads! I have been losing steadily since Jan 1st just sticking to my macros :) I eat whatever I want. Mind you, I try to eat filling healthy things (oatmeal, eggs etc) to keep me full but ...girl you will never catch me wrapping my tacos in lettuce wraps haha. Today I've had a bagel...eggs...homemade chicken pot pie....avocado....a chocolate bar....oatmeal with maple syrup/apple. Stick with macros and cals and you are good! Just dont eat all your macros as junk food and ur golden :)