Exercise hiatus 😬

Options
I am getting married next weekend. The festivities are really starting monday when family gets in town and following the wedding we are leaving on our honeymoon right away. So basically, i am looking at two weeks out of my regular routine.
I religiously go to the gym 6 days a week. I do an hour on the eliptical and do a hard 6 miles. I then do around 15 minutes or so on the weight machines. I realize this isnt much compared to some of you mfp beasts out there! For me it seems to be working though!
I started at 175 when i had my daughter over a year ago. I am finally down to 132 but i want to be around 120-125 (im only 5 feet tall). My question is, have any of you taken such a long break from your normal exercise/calorie counting routine and easily got back into the swing of things? Did you gain? How badly could these 2 weeks set me back? Tips?
Thanks!

Replies

• katechris65
    katechris65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I need exercise for my mental health so would fit it in. Your family doesn't get 24 hours a day of your time ;)

Thanks! Good point, but they are all literally staying at our house. Feels a little awkward leaving them for the gym after they drove 7 hours to spend time with us. 🙃
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Why can't you walk while on your honeymoon?
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am getting married next weekend. The festivities are really starting monday when family gets in town and following the wedding we are leaving on our honeymoon right away. So basically, i am looking at two weeks out of my regular routine.
    I religiously go to the gym 6 days a week. I do an hour on the eliptical and do a hard 6 miles. I then do around 15 minutes or so on the weight machines. I realize this isnt much compared to some of you mfp beasts out there! For me it seems to be working though!
    I started at 175 when i had my daughter over a year ago. I am finally down to 132 but i want to be around 120-125 (im only 5 feet tall). My question is, have any of you taken such a long break from your normal exercise/calorie counting routine and easily got back into the swing of things? Did you gain? How badly could these 2 weeks set me back? Tips?
    Thanks!

I just wanted to say, that sounds like a TON of working out to me, 6 times a week! Whew! Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon.. you only have it once in your life (hopefully), you have the rest of your life to worry about counting calories & exercising.

• katechris65
    Options
    Why can't you walk while on your honeymoon?

Good point, yes we plan on it. Lots if parks and hiking if the weather holds up. I guess if i dont break a sweat it just doesnt feel like im making progress. I can handle maintenance just really scared im going to gain. Thanks!
  • katechris65
    Options
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    Thanks!

I just wanted to say, that sounds like a TON of working out to me, 6 times a week! Whew! Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon.. you only have it once in your life (hopefully), you have the rest of your life to worry about counting calories & exercising.

Thanks soo much! Actually after reading it back, it sounds like more than it is- the 6 miles are what i do during the hour on the eliptical not in addition!! I appreciate the response!
  • katechris65
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Congratulations on the wedding! You won't be at least a full two weeks without exercise. I am sure there will be plenty of dancing at your wedding :smile:. I would try to maybe see if you can meet it half way. There's no reason, even with family staying with you, that you can't sneak away for an hour, say 3 times during the week to get the gym in. I would think they would understand. Plus, you're the bride, so you get to do what you want and they just have to deal with it.

As far as getting back into it if you do take 2 weeks off though, it really won't be that hard. I was off for almost a month this winter from a combination of illness, holidays, and visitors. It took me a couple of weeks to fully get back in it but it wasn't long before I was doing even better than I was before my break.

That makes me feel much better, thank you!!
  • combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think taking a break from exercising every once in a while is good for us. When I'm really feeling burnt out sometimes taking a week or two off will get me re-motivated. Yes, you may lose a little bit of fitness, but it won't be much. Just don't let the break completely derail you and you'll be fine.
  • katechris65
    Options
    Personally, I think taking a break from exercising every once in a while is good for us. When I'm really feeling burnt out sometimes taking a week or two off will get me re-motivated. Yes, you may lose a little bit of fitness, but it won't be much. Just don't let the break completely derail you and you'll be fine.

Thank you!
    This is what i wanted to hear. Every response mentioned ways I could still fit in exercise but i truly wanted a worse case scenerio to put my mind at ease. Yes, i plan on getting right back into my routine when i get back!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have taken a couple of weeks to a month off before. It helps, I always feel fresh and motivated when its time to go back. Congratulations on getting married!!
  • katechris65
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I go through a period of denial pretty much every Fall, when on-water rowing ends, and I don't want to admit I have to start machine rowing. While it isn't zero exercise, it's greatly reduced. The impact is really not huge. I also tend to be a peak-y, celebratory eater, indulging deeply for a few days at a time (I'm talking like twice my maintenance calories for a couple of days or so, not some tiny amount). The impact is also not huge.

You're going to be busy during this pre-wedding time, I'll bet: Pretty high non-exercise activity. You're going to be walking on honeymoon, as you've said.

Worst case scenario example:

Let's say you somehow eat a full thousand calories over your (actual daily) maintenance calories every single day for a full two weeks (unlikely, right?). That's 4 pounds. (14,000 calories over maintenance divided by 3500 calories in a pound = 4 pounds).

In reality, you won't gain that much fat (though you may see some wild water weight changes!) . . . but if you did, you know how to lose 4 pounds, right?

Relax and enjoy yourself. This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Thanks so much for this!!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I need exercise for my mental health so would fit it in. Your family doesn't get 24 hours a day of your time ;)

Thanks! Good point, but they are all literally staying at our house. Feels a little awkward leaving them for the gym after they drove 7 hours to spend time with us. 🙃

Why would you feel awkward? It is your family and they should be ok for 90 minutes.