5k times for the heavier folks

13»

Replies

• I was 215 lbs when I did my first 5k. I ran in 46 mins. I was so proud that I actually did the race and finished. It gave me the confidence to know that I could do more.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    I'm 235 and usually run a 5k in 33mins (average) - my goal in my last "official" race was to not walk the entire time, and I accomplished that and finished in 34 mins or so. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    It's all about the fitness level.
  • backinaction
    backinaction Posts: 28 Member
    My fastest time over 300 pounds was a 5k in 34 minutes. This past weekend (235 pounds) I ran a 5k in 26:30. Losing weight has helped a ton but adding miles (30+ miles per week) has helped a lot more.
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    my personal best time in a 5 k was when I was 240, and that time was 22:50, I did a 5k circuit challenge with a few friends about a year and a half ago weighing about 265 and my time was 29:36. I am 6'4" but i have relatively short legs for my height
  • stape21
    stape21 Posts: 1 Member
    I am glad I found this forum. I am 60 years old and my best time is 35:00. I was 255 when I completed that 5k. I try to run year around, but my job will not allow but about 6 months. I feel better knowing that I am an average runner for my size.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited April 2019
    Your pace time has many factors. Yes, carrying more weight makes it harder to run but your overall physical wellbeing is a big part of it as well. I run super S.L.O.W. I started running last October and have completed three 5ks, and a 10k. I am considered obese by BMI charts but I am doing my first half marathon in 24 days. My pace will be about 15 minutes per mile but that's ok with me. I will finish. You can do it!

@urbanmasala There is a documentary called From Fat to Finish Line that inpsired me to start running despite my weight. The have a free program called Run Your First Mile. I highly recommend it. It's where I started.

Edited to add...Da*n it, I got sucked into another zombie thread that was resurrected.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,423 Member
    I did c25k twice, once on the treadmill and once on the pavement, before I ran my 5k. I was 40 something and 200 lbs. My goal was to not walk during the race. I was successful, felt like I had ‘ran’ the whole thing, and my time was 47 minutes. I thought it would be the beginning of something (I wanted to do a marathon someday), but I just kinda gave it up. It hurts my knees too much now.
  • doingthisforme16
    doingthisforme16 Posts: 36 Member
    I'm encouraged to find this forum. I'm in the 250 range, but I want to begin (slowly) training for a 5K race.

Can anyone recommended an online training program or template for a complete beginner? Is C25K the place to start?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'm encouraged to find this forum. I'm in the 250 range, but I want to begin (slowly) training for a 5K race.

Can anyone recommended an online training program or template for a complete beginner? Is C25K the place to start?

Yep c25k is a great start, if you can comfortably walk for 30 - 45 minutes at a brisk pace?
  • doingthisforme16
    doingthisforme16 Posts: 36 Member
    @TavistockToad - Thank you; this information is appreciated.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    When I was Morbidly obese at 250 pounds, I'm 5'8", I finished my first 5k at an hour, I tried my best too!

When I went from morbid obese to just obese at a BMI of 32, I ran a 5k at 27 minutes and 27 seconds.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    This no longer applies for me as I haven't ran in a few years, but I was on the cross country team in high school, and my first race ever(all 5ks) was 44:19. I walked a lot because I wasn't able to pace myself. By the end of that season I managed to run 34:14 and not walk any of it. I don't remember how much I weighed then(probably close to 200), I was the slowest on the team, but I never gave up, and eventually wasn't the last to finish!

Even if you have to walk, don't give up! You'll definitely get faster over time!!! What matters is that you are out there doing it!!! And as it was previously mentioned, C25K is a great program to use when getting into running!

I'm hoping to start c25k after I come back from my vacation next week, as I really miss the feeling I got from running (especially in early spring and fall! The smell of the trail was calming!)
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm 226.2. Started running at 250 pounds and have run the distance of a 5K anywhere between 32 minute and 55 minutes. My average is probably right about 45 minutes. You can do it!