So which are you ?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Athaiguy wrote: »
    Are you a person that Diets all in gung ho ? Or are you the type that is far more casual and cheats here and there at times ? I have always been the Gung Ho dieter not cheating keeping to my 1500 Calories a day. I walk 5 to 10 miles a day and amass many extra calories a day but never still eat over my 1500. Once in awhile but not often I will put a meal plan together for the day and find I am over those 1500 and I feel terrible because of it. I should not as I have amassed so many calories with the walking I am doing but still feel guilty none the less.

I only ever really dieted once and have been in maintenance for 6 years. I would fall in the camp of neither extreme...and I always made sure I fueled my fitness. If you're only eating 1500 calories and doing a bunch of exercise then you are under-eating. 1500 is the floor for a sedentary male...if you're doing tons of walking, you're not sedentary. You're doing your body a disservice. If you feel guilty about anything, it should be that you're not providing your body what it needs from an energy or nutrition standpoint.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I think I’m gung ho, I just want to get it done and over with.

Except it's never over...

Weight loss is never over? Pretty sure I only have five more pounds and I’m done.

I think she's talking about the fact that needing to manage your weight, health, and fitness is a life long endeavor. Most people who are "done" go back to old eating habits, stop regular exercise, etc and put the weight back on and then some and just go through life yo-yo dieting.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    apullum wrote: »

Weight loss is never over? Pretty sure I only have five more pounds and I’m done.

You’re only “done” with weight loss at that point, not with weight management. When you get to your goal weight, there are really only three things that can happen:

1) You follow a maintenance plan to stay in your desired weight range.
    2) You don’t follow a maintenance plan, gain the weight back, and engage in a cycle of yo-yo dieting until you move to either option 1 or option 3.
    3) You don’t follow a maintenance plan, gain the weight back, and decide to stay at the higher weight.

And that’s the only part I was talking about.
    That’s why I got confused as to why that poser said “ its never over”. Should’ve elaborated.

The OP basically asked what kind of dieters we are all are, no cheating or more flexible. That’s all I was answering to, the topic at hand

My maintnece weight always fluctuates between 3-5 pounds when I’m not watching my weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Weight loss is temporary, but most people find that *weight management* is something that requires a long-term commitment unless you want to regain the weight.

I started calorie counting in January 2015. I stopped losing weight in the fall of that same year, but I didn't stop any of the behaviors that allowed me to lose weight. I don't plan on ever stopping weight management because I have no intention of ever being overweight again. I'm just not eating at a deficit.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    edited April 2019
    Athaiguy wrote: »
    Are you a person that Diets all in gung ho ? Or are you the type that is far more casual and cheats here and there at times ? I have always been the Gung Ho dieter not cheating keeping to my 1500 Calories a day. I walk 5 to 10 miles a day and amass many extra calories a day but never still eat over my 1500. Once in awhile but not often I will put a meal plan together for the day and find I am over those 1500 and I feel terrible because of it. I should not as I have amassed so many calories with the walking I am doing but still feel guilty none the less.

As to the OP... do you believe that feeling guilty is a good and healthy feeling?

In case you're wondering if your thoughts are starting to stray into slightly less safe territory... you're right!
    They are.
    And the reason, quite probably, is the excessive deficit you're subjecting yourself to.

Your Total Deficit (TD) determines your weight loss and is equal to your average daily deficit (ADD) multiplied by the TIME you apply it (T).

TD = ADD * T

You're trying to maximize TD
    Minimizing T is not helping you!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm the 'Can I see myself eating this way (plus a few extra calories for maintenance) for the foreseeable future?' type.

Same.
  • vanillaorange2
    vanillaorange2 Posts: 63 Member
    My husband and I eat clean, for the most part. 6 small meals a day. Some are just protine shakes and bars. We like to call it a lifestyle not a “diet” We give ourself at least 1 good cheat meal a week. We also try to keep our drinking down to 1 night a week as well. Staying away from really sweet drinks with lots of sugar. We don’t feel bad about it either. We work hard in the gym to keep up with our workout... everyone needs to enjoy there favorite foods from time to time :) it’s a reword for all the hard work the rest of week.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I'm neither as well.

I'm on a steady, ableit very slow, loss, and finding it maintainable and relatively easy to manage. Sure, I could lose a lot faster, but this way it really does become a lifestyle, I know pretty close what maintenance is going to look like, and I can eat the things I enjoy.

My weight has normal fluctuations, but outside of that, there's a steady downward trend. I've still got a good 20ish pounds to lose, so I could certainly afford a faster loss, but I know restriction would make me binge and undo too much. Plus, I don't want to be shocked by what maintenance means to me at this point in my life.

Also, my fitness is more important than those last few pounds at this point, so keeping my energy levels up and mental clarity maxed is more important than losing a little faster, and I find those things suffer very quickly if I start losing at the 1/2 lb/week average rate.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I used to be gung ho. Then after a long time of failure, giving up, regain, guilt, and shame, I realized I needed to do something different. I am much more relaxed now, and feel so much better for it.

I think that's the kind of perspective that comes with maturity :blush:

That is one way to call her old.

It's the nicest way anyone has called me old today! :laugh:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I used to be gung ho. Then after a long time of failure, giving up, regain, guilt, and shame, I realized I needed to do something different. I am much more relaxed now, and feel so much better for it.

Or...not immature :smiley: I see the glass half full.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    My husband and I eat clean, for the most part.

What does this mean?

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

It's the nicest way anyone has called me old today! :laugh:

That's ok, I'm vintage, according to my jeans in the NSV thread :lol: