Gaining weight friends

Options
Lol We need to motivate each other! This is much harder than losing weight in my opinion. I cant keep weight to save my life even after 2k calories daily....

Replies

• teneille2019
    teneille2019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my first day tracking calories trying to gain weight has always been a struggle for me. It is such hard work. I almost ate all the calories I needed today. I’m very happy about that but noticed that I went over my recommended sugar intake and didn’t come close to the sodium goal. I don’t understand why there’s daily sugar, sodium, fat, protein, and carb goals set on my tracker. I thought I was just supposed to eat lots of calories, high protein and nutritious food. Idk why my recommended daily sodium goal is set high yet I am not active. I had always thought that salt is unhealthy for the body and have tried to avoid it. I feel overwhelmed with questions on how to properly track everything but also happy that I am eating more throughout the day. Calorie counting is motivating, I just don’t know why it is recommended that I track everything else.
  • EchoBlackheart
    EchoBlackheart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my first day too I suppose. New to the site. Wanted to see if I could do something to help build up muscle around my ribs to stop them from showing. No matter how much I may eat in a day, over 2000 calories or not, haven't been able to put muscle on in the area and get accused of being anorexic. (Burn over 2.6k calories a day). Any help or support would be fantastic.
  • LeeThomasMackie
    LeeThomasMackie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lol We need to motivate each other! This is much harder than losing weight in my opinion. I cant keep weight to save my life even after 2k calories daily....

What amount of calories were you eating before you started this? I’m a Personal Trainer and most my clients were around 2,500 calories a day to build on weight, 2,000 is the average amount for a typical weight and health women to maintain weight, not for gaining.

If you give me a little more information I can possibly help you.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Provided you are accurately tracking, 2000 calories is likely not enough for you to gain. You will need to either increase your calorie intake or decrease your cardio activity. For example I gain on around 3K without cardio, and I need to eat that amount consistently day after day to keep gaining and adjust my intake as I get heavier.
  • lilygarcia3
    lilygarcia3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My problem is not eating a lot maybe not enough calories. I’ve tried with the app but I still fall short. Idk what’s my problem. I get full so fast. I’m waiting for the weather to get warmer to start on the smoothies while looking for a dairy free milk beneficial for me in taste and protein. Soy makes my stomach hurt. Do you take any protein powder? Or ensure? I’m trying to avoid ensure since it has lots of sugar. I’ve also started working out at home
  • wheatbaby84
    wheatbaby84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey all! My problem is I am doing too much cardio and wasnt intaking enough calories. Im trying to keep stomach in tack and gain a little weight!
  • wheatbaby84
    Options

What amount of calories were you eating before you started this? I’m a Personal Trainer and most my clients were around 2,500 calories a day to build on weight, 2,000 is the average amount for a typical weight and health women to maintain weight, not for gaining.

If you give me a little more information I can possibly help you.

I wasnt eating nowhere near 2000. Maybe 1000..... It will help me gain.... I started at 106.... im around 111 now.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Hey all! My problem is I am doing too much cardio and wasnt intaking enough calories. Im trying to keep stomach in tack and gain a little weight!

Unfortunately you cannot control where fat gain goes, even with cardio. Following proper strength training and keeping your surplus around 0.5lb per week or less can help keep fat gains at bay. Also make sure you get enough protein for muscle growth (0.8-1lb per lb bodyweight).
  • wheatbaby84
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Unfortunately you cannot control where fat gain goes, even with cardio. Following proper strength training and keeping your surplus around 0.5lb per week or less can help keep fat gains at bay. Also make sure you get enough protein for muscle growth (0.8-1lb per lb bodyweight).

Yeap! My body has hardly no fat lol.... im just trying to gain some weight! Its just hatd as hell! I thought after 2 kids I would but nope!30gawfgqkp3r.jpeg
  • wheatbaby84
    Options
    Hard*
  • sardelsa
    Options
    You look great and in a good place to get some gains on. Good luck! :) Oh I forgot to link this great thread, it's a list of foods to help get the cals in and some strategies as well

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • wheatbaby84
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You look great and in a good place to get some gains on. Good luck! :) Oh I forgot to link this great thread, it's a list of foods to help get the cals in and some strategies as well

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Thanks! Yassss, the article will be useful for me! 😊
  • Myfitnessgoal27
    Myfitnessgoal27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble as well, always have. Most people would say that you do not need to gain weight. But only you know what your personal goals are. Let me know what works for you and I can share what works for me.
  • wheatbaby84
    Options
    I am having trouble as well, always have. Most people would say that you do not need to gain weight. But only you know what your personal goals are. Let me know what works for you and I can share what works for me.

I am eating like hell.... metabolism is high smh
  • JPuffers
    JPuffers Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Do you know what your calorie goal is based on your TDEE? I have always been able to eat like crazy and put on no weight but since I have been tracking my calories/macros and making sure I am eating at regular intervals I have been gaining. I added 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Peanut butter shakes are your friend. I have 2 a day one in the morning (with breakfast or as breakfast) and one at night before bed, they add 1,500+ calories a day on top of my regular meals.

My shake is a minimum of 2 servings of peanut butter or Pb fit, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 banana, 1/3 cup of raw oats, 1 tbsp honey, and 8 oz of chocolate almond cashew protein milk.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and fluctuate between 105-109 so I am definitely trying to gain weight. It's hard as I have 2 GI illnesses that make eating difficult. I have a J (jejunostomy) tube which is a feeding tube that bypasses the stomach (which is my bad spot atm) and goes into the jejunum (second part of the small intestine) and even with that I'm not gaining much.
  • wheatbaby84
    Options
    JPuffers wrote: »

Do you know what your calorie goal is based on your TDEE? I have always been able to eat like crazy and put on no weight but since I have been tracking my calories/macros and making sure I am eating at regular intervals I have been gaining. I added 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Peanut butter shakes are your friend. I have 2 a day one in the morning (with breakfast or as breakfast) and one at night before bed, they add 1,500+ calories a day on top of my regular meals.

My shake is a minimum of 2 servings of peanut butter or Pb fit, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 banana, 1/3 cup of raw oats, 1 tbsp honey, and 8 oz of chocolate almond cashew protein milk.

I cant drink those because of the milk smh.... my body wont digest milk products correctly. Let alone, it wont stay down! That’s part of my problem!
  • wheatbaby84
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and fluctuate between 105-109 so I am definitely trying to gain weight. It's hard as I have 2 GI illnesses that make eating difficult. I have a J (jejunostomy) tube which is a feeding tube that bypasses the stomach (which is my bad spot atm) and goes into the jejunum (second part of the small intestine) and even with that I'm not gaining much.

Oh man! Have u tried Ensure?
  • JPuffers
    JPuffers Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    JPuffers wrote: »

I cant drink those because of the milk smh.... my body wont digest milk products correctly. Let alone, it wont stay down! That’s part of my problem!

Almond milk isn’t a dairy product though. I am also intolerant to dairy products. Almond milk is free of dairy, gluten, lactose, whey milk, and casein proteins (milk proteins). It’s literally almonds soaked in water to make a milk substitute. Have you actually tried it before? I had some mashed potatoes made with a little bit of butter and milk the other day and my stomach went nuts. I drink 16 oz or more of almond milk a day in my shakes and I am fine. Hemp milk is also a good substitute too if you haven’t tried that one.

How many calories a day are you at? Are you meeting your goal on Mfp? 2000 isn’t very much especially if your active. I average over 3000 a day usually more like 3,500 sometimes 4000+
  • Myfitnessgoal27
    Myfitnessgoal27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options