Weight gain caused by anti-depressants

Options
snooks44
snooks44 Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys! Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. I was on Zoloft from October 2018 and now I’m tapering off due to the weight I have gained but wondering if anyone else gained weight with this medication. If so did you ever get back to your “pre weight” before meds. I’m the heaviest I have ever been!! ☹️ any tips would be appreciated !

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    snooks44 wrote: »
    Hi guys! Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. I was on Zoloft from October 2018 and now I’m tapering off due to the weight I have gained but wondering if anyone else gained weight with this medication. If so did you ever get back to your “pre weight” before meds. I’m the heaviest I have ever been!! ☹️ any tips would be appreciated !

I don't think I was on Zoloft long enough to notice increased appetite leading to weight gain. It killed my libido and desire to and ability to orgasm.

I tried about a half dozen ADs before settling on Wellbutrin, with which I've been very happy.

My tip for weight loss - find which foods satisfy you the most for less calories so it is easier for you to create a calorie deficit, and move more.

Regular exercise is key to my mental health. (I realize this does not apply to everyone.)
  • snooks44
    snooks44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think for me Zoloft def. lowered my energy level. I’m always tired. I’m hoping with making better choices I’ll be able to lose the weight I gained. If you’ve never been on a psych med it’s super hard to just not eat. You’re always hungry and it like hunger pains. 😩
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    snooks44 wrote: »
    I think for me Zoloft def. lowered my energy level. I’m always tired. I’m hoping with making better choices I’ll be able to lose the weight I gained. If you’ve never been on a psych med it’s super hard to just not eat. You’re always hungry and it like hunger pains. 😩

it does depend on the medication and the person. zoloft had no effect on my stomach. lexapro made me unhungry. wellbutrin gave me vertigo so not hungry. remeron made me starving