Day one! Anybody over 50 here?

Options
Hello everybody I'm trying to learn how to use this software and discover if it would be a good tool I have no idea if this will post just wanted to say to everybody good luck and was wondering if anybody on this app is 50 +? I am trying to lose 30 lbs I've gained in The Last 5 Years yikes! I have never had a weight problem in my entire life but it seems I've been a bit too busy and not focused on my health as much as I have in the past life has been busy
these last few years anybody else in this boat?

Replies

• mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was here last year and got side tracked after losing 20 lbs--I lost a few more, then recently started to creep back up again. It's not easy, but it is simple--take in fewer calories than your body needs each day/week.

I may try some different things this time around; maybe not. All I know is that I need to get back to it. I love jogging and my knees got sore when I used a treadmill this winter-I'm still working to rehab them safely. But my 60 year old body needs me to lighten its load--literally. So, here I go.

Feel free to friend me if you choose, and good luck.
  • campbellplb7504
    campbellplb7504 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m going to be 65 next month, and I have really enjoyed using MFP. Soon I will reach my goal, and I am wondering how I will transition into maintaining, and more importantly, how to do so without weighing and measuring all my food!
  • eaglesan47
    eaglesan47 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am going to turn 61 next week and I've been dabbling with MFP for a few months. I was a WW member last year and have lost 75 pounds. They wanted me to lose another 25 to hit "goal" and I was not comfortable with that....and I'd have to keep paying. So I let my membership go, but have continued to maintain my current weight. Finally had my appointment with my Dr. and talked to her about where I should be. She told me she'd only like me to lose 5 pounds more, but she'd give me a letter if I wanted to go back to WW. I told her no, that I learned what I can from the program, and will continue to follow those lessons and use another application to track. So, I am going to get back to square one today and track everything. I've reached the point where I need to count calories, not WW points, in order to get more weight off. I also need to get my activity back to where I am doing AT LEAST 30 minutes a day of something.......today I walked all three of our dogs separately for 1 mile each. They are exhausted and I am energized! Good luck on your journey!
  • nwnightowl206
    nwnightowl206 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and started this back in January, close to 30 pounds gone, I love MFP, another 4 pounds and I will be lower than I have been in about 15 years, it has worked well for me, I hope you find you like, I really enjoy hearing all the stories in the forums, they are very motivating. Best wishes.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yep, I'm almost 62. 178 lbs, 14% body fat, 130lbs/set curls, 400lb sets deadlifts. Walk 6 miles round trip to the gym on my days off and not pouring rain...

This is a good diet tool. Very good.
  • chewycat315
    chewycat315 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I’m over 50 and just started today. I gained a ton of weight due to medications, then lost almost 80lbs in a year because of illness and long term hospitalization. Once I was home and started eating all the bad foods they don’t serve you in the hospital, it quickly all came back. I’m so angry and disappointed with myself for not eating healthy and making good choices to keep the weight off. I hate the way I look and don’t really even want to leave the house. A friend of mine does keto and I considered it but I feel it’s too restrictive so I’m giving this a try. Any advice or words of wisdom are welcome!

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    50 and some! Like 71. Age doesn't matter you can do this. Good luck
  • LeeBo_Photo
    LeeBo_Photo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    50 1/2 here. You got this. Lots of support here too.
  • JMT5712
    JMT5712 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    52 and on the journey. Enjoy the wins and your knees will too!
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Lost 45 pounds on MFP a few years ago, wow 2012 to be exact. Over past 3 years weight has creeped back up. Need to lose 20 pounds to get back there. I am 51
  • JMT5712
    JMT5712 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it! Make it fun and it is easier🤪