How do you tell your child that Santa isn't real?

Options

Replies

• AmyS79
    AmyS79 Posts: 65
    Options
    I was never told there was no santa but I figured it out on my own. it was fun to believe and it was fun for my parents. So why bust his bubble if he ask right out one day then you can choose to tell him there no santa or you can say santa is just a fun part of the holidays. I have kids and I love see their faces on christmas when they think santa came to our house.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    I tell my kids the same thing my parents told me. "When you no longer believe in Santa, he no longer comes to visit on Christmas". I still believe and I'm 40 - if only I could wake up at my parents house Christmas morning so I could get more presents :] lol
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    My mom still likes to act like Santa is real - I am 34 years old and I am the youngest.

What is the need in telling him?

We didn't always get the name brands or exactly what we wanted and no one cared and was thankful for what we did get. My parents made sure of that by having us take a Christmas dinner and presents to a less fortunate family.

Don't take the magic away from Christmas! Doesn't matter if Santa is real or not...there is a more important reason we celebrate Christmas after all.

I can't believe that the magic of xmas will be lost because the man in the suit is a lie??? I still find xmas magical and i was never lied to!!!

y lie to your children???
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    Tell him the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy got drunk one night, stole a car and killed Santa in a hit and run. They got caught, put in Jail, so they'll be no chocolate or money under the pillow this year either...

LMAO - gotta remember that one!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I can give you details on an elaborate scheme we used to tell my nephew. It involved some photoshop-ing, a picture of a creepy pedophile-looking guy in a santa suit, and a screen shot of our states sex offender registry. He is (rightfully) terrified of people dressed as Santa now that he knows what 'chimney' Santa really comes down when he creeps into childrens' houses at night.

This:

w221852291.jpg

Done.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It also occurs to me that finding out he isnt real/just a ploy used by pedophiles, is probably the third most traumatic thing a child experiences pyschologically - other than confusion over breastfeeding till age 8 and being born.

and if you are a female, why the hell you bleed every month!
  • krevelle65
    krevelle65 Posts: 189
    Options
    Tell him the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy got drunk one night, stole a car and killed Santa in a hit and run. They got caught, put in Jail, so they'll be no chocolate or money under the pillow this year either...

Too good, lmao

As long as you are not worried that defending Santa might get him beat up in school. Just play it down, don't push him to write Santa letters, etc. If you don't make a big deal about it he won't either. If he ask you point blank, tell the truth, if his doesn't let the subject alone.
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    they already know. mine is 10. she knows but she doesnt want to give it up so why not let her live a little? (mine i mean)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Wait.. Santa is not real?! Well now I know why Christmas morning sucks at my house. My kids thought they were just THAT bad.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    2158.jpg-254x300.jpg
  • Sbmtx
    Sbmtx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well my son is 9. I think he knows the truth but he asked last year if Santa was "really" real. And I told him the same thing my mom told us. If you don't believe in Santa then you don't get anything from Santa. In my house Santa always brought the coolest stuff like the swing set or the bike. Mom and dad usually put their name on the smaller gifts and took credit for the stocking once we were older.
    But I do like the idea of one of the posters. Why not tell him the story of Saint Nicholas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas).
    I agree that it does suck to be the one to break the news though. It's like you take another piece of your little kid away and they get one step closer to grown. Ugh!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    My mom still likes to act like Santa is real - I am 34 years old and I am the youngest.

We didn't always get the name brands or exactly what we wanted and no one cared and was thankful for what we did get. My parents made sure of that by having us take a Christmas dinner and presents to a less fortunate family.

Don't take the magic away from Christmas! Doesn't matter if Santa is real or not...there is a more important reason we celebrate Christmas after all.

I can't believe that the magic of xmas will be lost because the man in the suit is a lie??? I still find xmas magical and i was never lied to!!!

people like you get on my nerves. that is all.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Find a homeless person that looks like Santa and have them tell your child that Santa (the person) lost his job due to the bad economy.
  • camberwellgreen
    Options
    Find a homeless person that looks like Santa and have them tell your child that Santa (the person) lost his job due to the bad economy.

The way things are over here, I think he'd fall for it!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Rant: My ex-mother-in-law told her children (my ex-husband) when he was four. FOUR. WTF. She tries to do that with my child and she'll be kicked square in the shins. And it'll hurt!!
  • odusgolp
    Options

You... should also be kicked square in the shins.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Rant: My ex-mother-in-law told her children (my ex-husband) when he was four. FOUR. WTF. She tries to do that with my child and she'll be kicked square in the shins. And it'll hurt!!

I'll volunteer to sit on your jury. :bigsmile: :wink:
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 years old. The day that I tell my mother "I don't believe in Santa" is the day I stop getting a stocking full of goodies at her house.

I knew that Santa wasn't real when I was around his age. My parents could tell that I was starting to figure it all out. So they played a huge trick on me. They put bits of red and white cloth in the door like Santa's suit got snagged on the door frame. There were other things kinda in the yard. Even though I KNEW it wasn't real, it really made me stop and go "What the .... How did ... But I thought ... HUH?!"

Let him keep his magic. Chances are good that he's not going to go around school and be all like "AMG guys I can't wait for Santa!!!"

Christmas is about magic and mystery. Let him keep that spark for as long as he can.
  • odusgolp
    Options

I'll volunteer to sit on your jury. :bigsmile: :wink:

Thank you dear :)
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options

You... should also be kicked square in the shins.

lol apparently i get on peoples nerves and should be kicked in the shins!!! very funny but not very nice!!! lying to your children is not nice!!!!!! Christmas is amazing WITHOUT the lies!!!!!!!! go kick yourself in the shins for lying!!!!!! haahahahahahahahahahaha

seriously tho, xmas is still my favourite time of yr. I think people r annoyed and put nasty comments because i hit a nerve...... noone wants to believe they r lying to their kids. lmfao