Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I am a bit sad I do not live in a place this particular Easter egg tradition seems to exist :frowning:

Yeah, no one ever gives me Easter eggs. To be fair they don't seem all that appealing to me anyway, but Easter hasn't been a big sweets holiday for me since I was a kid (we had Easter baskets).

Easter is a sweet holiday for us. Not exactly the classic shell chocolate eggs, more like egg shaped and Easter themed chocolate truffles. Actually, all holidays are sweet holidays lol. Friends and family visit each other and are served sweets (mostly chocolate) and coffee (and wine for Christmas). We actually have a weird unspoken system where some people go out to visit on the first day of a holiday and others go out the second day. You would spend the whole day visiting and go through maybe 10 or more households. Any visits after day 2 (if you couldn't visit everyone) need to be arranged through the phone to make sure people are home and accepting visitors. Sweets are basically served, not gifted.

Long story short, after holidays we have all the leftover stuff we bought (or made, in case of Christmas cookies) plus many of the sweets we collect when we visit. I usually eat them very sparingly during the holiday (limiting myself to what we get from visits) to make sure we have enough for all the visitors, after that I get to eat as many as I want.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I am still working on my Christmas stash, a few squares or pieces of chocolate a day can last a longggg time :smiley: I have no doubt my Easter stash will probably last until the end of the year...if it doesn't go out of date first.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I cannot leave chocolate alone if its in the house :D

I have tried to cut it off at the source by asking family not to give me any, any gifts from others will probably be passed on.

If I have it, it all gets scoffed at once!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Chocolate creme filled easter eggs are amazing and apparently the ones in the UK are better so I'm jealous but also glad I don't have access to them.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I originally thought that you meant hard-boiled dyed eggs. I was gonna say that I dye them and then eat them within the next week.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I believe there's actually an upper limit to how many calories your body can get through as far as storing the excess as fat, so I say go crazy :D

I've actually been wondering about that, given that I don't seem to gain as much permanent weight from binges as the arithmetic suggests...

There's a YT channel I dip into infrequently which did a super deep dive into the math of one of those "10,000 calorie cheat days." She's a fitness type but also just got her PHD and is good on the technicalities. If anyone is interested I'll see if I can unearth it again.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    I originally thought that you meant hard-boiled dyed eggs. I was gonna say that I dye them and then eat them within the next week.

I thought that at first too. Somehow I managed to survive as a child eating dyed hardboiled eggs that had sat out in my basket this week. I was not a smart child.

I have 6 sisters. Growing up, we dyed 4 dozen hard boiled eggs at Easter, and we had them in our baskets until we finished them. Never refrigerated. I don’t remember any of us ever getting sick from them. I guess things change over time🙂🐣
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about boiled eggs or plastic eggs with candy in them?? :D If we're talking about candy, my kids pretty much eat most of it. I typically put it all in a bag and eat a few pieces here and there...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I thought that at first too. Somehow I managed to survive as a child eating dyed hardboiled eggs that had sat out in my basket this week. I was not a smart child.

I have 6 sisters. Growing up, we dyed 4 dozen hard boiled eggs at Easter, and we had them in our baskets until we finished them. Never refrigerated. I don’t remember any of us ever getting sick from them. I guess things change over time🙂🐣

The egg's shell itself, provided it isn't cracked, probably serves to keep bad stuff out. Not that I'd recommend it or anything, but I can see how you didn't die :lol:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Depends how it fits into your MMA training plan....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am a bit sad I do not live in a place this particular Easter egg tradition seems to exist :frowning:

Where are you?

I'm in Massachusetts and I can tell by the store sales flyers that it exists here, but massive amounts of candy was never a tradition in my family for any holiday.

In fact, I was at first confused by the OP, thinking it referred to hard boiled eggs, and couldn't get my head around eating those for months, until I finally realized it referred to candy eggs.

To me, "Easter eggs" = dyed hard boiled eggs.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Where are you?

I'm in Massachusetts and I can tell by the store sales flyers that it exists here, but massive amounts of candy was never a tradition in my family for any holiday.

In fact, I was at first confused by the OP, thinking it referred to hard boiled eggs, and couldn't get my head around eating those for months, until I finally realized it referred to candy eggs.

My family is apparently a "why not eat both?" type lolol. Perhaps that is part of the reason I am on MFP.
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Me too. I saw an article on a UK website detailing fancy chocolate Easter eggs and I was so jealous! I can't find anything like that in the states. I told my spouse when we take a trip to London I want to go in April....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I believe there's actually an upper limit to how many calories your body can get through as far as storing the excess as fat, so I say go crazy :D

I've actually been wondering about that, given that I don't seem to gain as much permanent weight from binges as the arithmetic suggests...

That's been my experience, too.

I do wonder if one's body would adapt and get better over time at absorbing/storing binge** calories, though some kind of "training effect", if one did it rather regularly (even in medium/long term calorie balance). Bodies are strange and wonderful things, and tend to get better at things that we make them practice, in general (and adapting to storing excess calories would have been, I would think, advantageous in the historical context of famines and natural selection).

Back on topic: Faced with many tasty Easter candies, I'd probably tend toward the "eat lots" end, though my taste for super-sweet, super-rich things tends to be maxed out sooner than it used to be. Now, if I could eat some chocolate eggs, then some old-school Taco Doritos, then some more eggs, then some smoked gouda and garlic potato chips, then some more eggs . . . sensory-specific satiety, yup. ;)

** Not speaking for others, but noting that "binge" has a technical sense (uncontrolled/uncontrollable eating), and an informal sense (chose to eat way, way more than normal, and potentially way more than maintenance calories). I've only done the latter AFAIK, sometimes 2-3 times maintenance calories in a day. Biologically/physiologically, I don't expect that motivation for the eating would make a difference, but I dunno.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Large family growing up here too, and we not only had the eggs in our basket but in a large pastel-colored family-heirloom bowl filled with dyed eggs that generally sat out until there so few eggs left that it looked kind of sad and my mother would store the remainder in the fridge. None of us ever got sick from it.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Torxa, the shops start selling them soon after Christmas, although the closer you get to Easter the more stock there is. We certainly have a lot of chocolate in the shops at the moment- eggs, chicks and shapes that have absolutely nothing to do with Easter. Of the 6 that I've bought for younger family members, I have one dinosaur and one Thomas the Tank Engine! The rest are eggs, of varying sizes. I didn't realise that chocolate 'eggs' were predominantly a British thing though, given how popular chocolate is around the world. Your chocolate companies are missing a trick.

To answer the original question, I'd eat them over a period of time- but I have chocolate in the cupboard that I was given at Christmas, so clearly I'm not likely to say 'binge'.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Where are you?

Central plainsish ;) Flyover country. I mean, we have Cadbury eggs and Reese's eggs and the like, but I'm getting the impression you all are talking about something much better!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me that for so many people "Easter egg" seems to mean something chocolate. I wonder if this is something that differs regionally? I'm in the U.S., on the east coast, and I would always think Easter egg meant a bird's egg dyed or decorated for Easter -- unless somebody actually said chocolate egg, or talked about sweets, or some other context that made me question whether they were talking about bird's eggs.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Funny anecdote. When I was 8 I ate so many eggs one Easter that I spent the whole evening throwing up and felt like death with sulfur burps. Easter eggs tend to be overboiled, so I think that contributed to it, plus my then undiscovered egg white intolerance. We used to play a game as kids where you hit eggs together and you lose if yours breaks. All my eggs were losing eggs, and once the shell is broken the egg has to be eaten because we don't want it to go bad. I still can't eat colored Easter eggs, but if it's the boring white kind I eat it just fine.