Eating Easter Eggs

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Easter eggs without additional context also makes me think of the hard boiled and dyed kind.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I have resisted buying the Reeses peanut butter eggs so far. Maybe because I found a great deal on peanut butter Christmas trees the first of the year and still have some (I am ashamed at how many but they were 10 cents each) in my freezer.

I did, however, dye my hard boiled eggs for the week. Looks pretty in my lunch bag!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    You could donate to your local food bank and pop some other necessary extras in whilst you’re at it. I’m sure they would be very much appreciated.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    I eat the ones that are my favorite and I really enjoy, usually spread out as like 1 or 2 as lunch desserts over a week or two. Any of them that I'm more indifferent about and therefore not really worth the calories, I try to share at work. I keep a candy bowl at my desk for sharing that doesn't tempt me, or put them in our break area and they disappear.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Easter eggs without additional context also makes me think of the hard boiled and dyed kind.

As a Brit, it's chocolate eggs with chocolate extras.
    5qtrebhl3bvw.jpg

Do you have Easter egg hunts, and if so, what are you hunting for? (In the U.S. in my experience it would generally be decorated bird's eggs or plastic or wooden things that look at least a little a like a decorated bird's egg, possibly with sweet treats inside.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am a bit sad I do not live in a place this particular Easter egg tradition seems to exist :frowning:

Where are you?

I'm in Massachusetts and I can tell by the store sales flyers that it exists here, but massive amounts of candy was never a tradition in my family for any holiday.

In fact, I was at first confused by the OP, thinking it referred to hard boiled eggs, and couldn't get my head around eating those for months, until I finally realized it referred to candy eggs.

To me, "Easter eggs" = dyed hard boiled eggs.

Me too. We got chocolate as a kid (and I'm aware of things like peeps), and might have had an Easter party with sweets, but never sweet Easter eggs. (There were chocolate bunnies I always wanted but my mom didn't get.)

But the sweets element mostly was geared to kids in my family.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    A lot of churches around here make and sell chocolate covered peanut butter and coconut eggs. Much better than Reeses. I've had 2 peanut butter and one coconut egg this year and am probably done eating Easter candy. I like the malted milk robin eggs, but can avoid buying any. No kids at home to have Easter baskets of candy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    It's interesting to me that for so many people "Easter egg" seems to mean something chocolate. I wonder if this is something that differs regionally? I'm in the U.S., on the east coast, and I would always think Easter egg meant a bird's egg dyed or decorated for Easter -- unless somebody actually said chocolate egg, or talked about sweets, or some other context that made me question whether they were talking about bird's eggs.

I wonder if part of the conversational trend on this thread is that we'd rather talk about chocolate eggs (something many of us limit) vs. hard-boiled eggs (something many of us see and eat very often).

FWIW: "Easter egg" first means hard-boiled/dyed to me, but I only typed about chocolate ones above, because . . . chocolate! :yum:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

5qtrebhl3bvw.jpg

Do you have Easter egg hunts, and if so, what are you hunting for? (In the U.S. in my experience it would generally be decorated bird's eggs or plastic or wooden things that look at least a little a like a decorated bird's egg, possibly with sweet treats inside.)

Not in my childhood, but that might be regional, religious or even class based.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    82EC wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am a bit sad I do not live in a place this particular Easter egg tradition seems to exist :frowning:

Where are you?

I'm in Massachusetts and I can tell by the store sales flyers that it exists here, but massive amounts of candy was never a tradition in my family for any holiday.

In fact, I was at first confused by the OP, thinking it referred to hard boiled eggs, and couldn't get my head around eating those for months, until I finally realized it referred to candy eggs.

To me, "Easter eggs" = dyed hard boiled eggs.

I’m in Australia where Easter is definitely associated with eating too many chocolate eggs! Sorry I just assumed the rest of the English speaking world would be the same - did not even occur to me to explain I didn’t mean hard boiled eggs!

Australian here too.

Yes easter eggs definitely means chocolate ones here.

Some people do the dyed decorated hard boiled eggs - but a general conversation about easter eggs would mean chocolate ones.
    It wouldnt need to be specified, everyone would assume chocolate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

5qtrebhl3bvw.jpg

Next after hard boiled eggs, "Easter eggs" to me means the plastic ones that you can open and fill with candy, which my younger brother said our parents did, however I have no memory of this so it may have started when I was out of the house.

E01851_540x540.jpg
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    I’m amazed at adults being excited about Easter goodies. I’ve always thought Easter was just a candy grab for little kids. I think in my family, Easter faded away about the time that trick or treating at Halloween did.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I have resisted buying the Reeses peanut butter eggs so far. Maybe because I found a great deal on peanut butter Christmas trees the first of the year and still have some (I am ashamed at how many but they were 10 cents each) in my freezer.

I did, however, dye my hard boiled eggs for the week. Looks pretty in my lunch bag!

I won't eat a non standard cup reeeses. I miss the ridges and the chocolate to pb filling ratio is off when you change the shape.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    NovusDies wrote: »

I won't only eat a non standard cup reeeses. I don't miss the ridges and the chocolate to pb filling ratio is off better when you change the shape.

FIFY :flowerforyou:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I won't eat a non standard cup reeeses. I miss the ridges and the chocolate to pb filling ratio is off when you change the shape.

This This This! Everyone thinks I’m crazy when I say I don’t like the Reese’s Eggs.

I do like Reese’s miniatures though. Ridges plus a slightly better chocolate to PB ratio. Especially when frozen.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This This This! Everyone thinks I’m crazy when I say I don’t like the Reese’s Eggs.

I do like Reese’s miniatures though. Ridges plus a slightly better chocolate to PB ratio. Especially when frozen.

Oh man, obviously chocolate and peanut butter...yum...but the peanut butter part is overpowering in the non cup shape.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

This is the correct answer. I don't really like the normal size and won't eat the eggs at all, but I enjoy a mini.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

This is the correct answer. I don't really like the normal size and won't eat the eggs at all, but I enjoy a mini.

I don’t like the normal size, eggs, or miniatures. The unwrapped minis, though, I love. They do taste different. Ratio of chocolate to peanut butter as another poster mentioned. Bigger ones seem overly sweet to me. Cadbury Creme eggs are overly sweet to me also👎🏻