Where should I get my first tattoo?

Options
I've decided to get a tattoo this weekend. I know I want a bird behind my ear, but is that a good place for a first tattoo? I also want something on my wrist. Any ideas? :) Where did you guys get your first tats?

Replies

• femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    It's going to hurt no matter what so pick a place you really like. I got one on my lower back but its huge. I don't consider it a tramp stamp because its like 5"x10". I like it because I can cover it when I want or show it when I want.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    a reputable tattoo shop
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that both places will be tougher to cover should you regret it one day. Not being a prude, and have nothing against tattoos -- some of my best friends are tattoos. :laugh: Anyway, I have one myself. I chose to put it on my upper arm, where I can show or cover as needed (at work, and job interviews). Hoping to get more, just don't know what I want yet.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have one on my back by the right shoulder blade. Slept through it. I don't recommend one on the top of the foot. That's where my sister got hers. She cussed through the entire thing.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    a reputable tattoo shop

Haha, your comments always make me laugh! :p
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I agree about being able to cover it. Mine is inner ankle and there have been times I felt it appropriate to cover. Nice to have the option.
  • jgore21
    jgore21 Posts: 2
    Options
    i got my first tattoo on my lower back but the side. not in the middle like a "tramp stamp" :) didnt hurt AT ALL! great first experience
  • hotlaurah
    Options
    Wrist, ribs, fingers, feet, and neck are super sensitive. Get one where you want it- and make sure that it's something that you love. If you get one that is visible to everyone, be prepared to answer questions about it.
    Good Luck! Once you start- it's hard to stop! I have 3 and have like my next 20 planned! ;)
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    It will hurt no matter where you get it but I have one on the back of my neck, one of the top of my foot and one on my shoulder blade... the neck hurt like a mofo!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend getting a frog near your crotch...
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have one on my belly button, one on my back and one behind my ear. While I love my butterfly behind my ear....i m a business major and it poses major problems lol....I have really expensive cover up but in hindsight I probably would not get one there again.
  • Kellie0710
    Kellie0710 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wrist, ribs, fingers, feet, and neck are super sensitive. Get one where you want it- and make sure that it's something that you love. If you get one that is visible to everyone, be prepared to answer questions about it.
    Good Luck! Once you start- it's hard to stop! I have 3 and have like my next 20 planned! ;)

I agree, they are quite addicting, lol. I have three, one on each wrist and one on my shoulder blade. I plan to get my fourth once I get down to my goal body, either on my hip or on my side =)
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have one on my inner wrist. It hurts the most by the veins if your "veiny". But I can cover it with a watch if I need to which is important. My other ones are all normally concealed anyways.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have a tramp stamp! I would love to get another 1, But my husband is not a fan of tats, But when my grandpa dies, i will be getting another 1 wether he likes it or not! I want to get 1 of all three of my kids births signs, thinking on my wrist!
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    i have one on each wrist and one on my left shoulder all the way down to my elbow. both were fairly painless, but they got really hot (have you ever rubbed the end of a ball point pen on a table really fast and touched it? try it- thats what the tattoo felt like) the only part that hurt was when he went over the veins on my wrists- HURT LIKE A *****! but still not enough to even make my eyes water and i'm a huge baby when it comes to pain.

tattoo2.png
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This may be inappropriate but places that have more fat=less pain. Just sayin' :smile:
  • tingtawn
    tingtawn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My first (and only so far) tattoo that i have gotten goes across my side right under where my bra is..it says live laugh love and has a heart on each side..i was warned that it would be excrutiating pain since its on my side and ribs but it didnt bother me that much..it felt weird not so much painful but annoyingly weird..i think it depends on each person and their pain tolerance..im glad i didnt let anyone talk me out of it tho..so def get it where u want it ull have it forever :)
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    Like everyone is saying, it's gonna hurt no matter where you get it done.... but some places hurt worse then others. I have calves, hips, wrists, and all areas on my back inked. My wrists hurt pretty considerably to some of my other tattoos. Good luck on your choice darlin and let us know what you get!!!
  • nanaykat
    Options
    my husband is covered with tattoo but he has it in places where if he needs to dress up for meetings, it is all covered up. Make sure wherever you get it, think if you will still like it there :smile: after a while. if you will ask him, he will say get it in places that can be covered if needed.
  • lilrahme
    lilrahme Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My frist tattoo was a tramp stamp, second was right shoulder, third was lower left hip and fourth was right ankle.

The one that hurt the most was my tramp stamp but i had also been in a car accident a week previous and i was hell bent on keeping this appointment!!

The pain depends on each person to be honest. When i was getting the one on my hip - it was in a fairly sensitive area but it actually tickled. The tattooist was very surprised to have someone laughing on their chair!

Obviously, there's going to be pain. The outline always hurts more then when they colour in (unless its just an outline of something that is!). Also, there will be times when it feels like he's just running on the same part over and over again, but its not the case. Afterwards it just feels like you've got a gravel rash. (not sure if thats an australian term but just in case - its basicalle when you fall and scrape yourself on cement or bitumen). But again, that was just me. It was a bit painful, but it was a very handable (if thats a word!)

As for where and what - at the time i got most of mine down i didn't really have a permanent job - so i was sure to pick places i could hide easily, but show off just as easily if i wanted to.