Beating the odds?

Hi everyone. I’ve been watching quite a lot of weight loss documentaries lately as a way to help with my motivation but there’s a common attitude I’m encountering; in several of them now, someone has said that people who have a significant amount of weight to lose, stand no chance in doing it without surgery. They were so negative about anyone having the ability to change their habits without having to go through gastric bypass.

I realise that for many people, this may be the case but I think they’re wrong in my case. I have about 150lbs to lose, which is a scary thought but I’m ten pounds down already and I’m very dedicated to doing this. I’ve adopted an entirely different mentality and have seen it as a complete lifestyle change as opposed to a short term diet.
Them negative comments have rubbed me up the wrong way and there’s absolutely no chance I’m going to put myself through such a serious procedure when I can do it myself through sheer determination and I know of many people who have done it — and kept the weight off. I’m wondering if these people just want to sell more gastric bypass surgeries!

Have any of you people beaten the odds?

Replies

• TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Exactly. A bit like a junkie can only come off the drugs if their will is stronger than their addiction. I believe I have the right attitude and a very strong will.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Go look at the success stories on this message board. There are plenty of people from all walks of life who've lost massive amounts of weight and maintained it afterwards. You've got to want it enough to take care of yourself. The rest is "easy".
  • TheRedQueen1981
    edited July 2018
    newmantjn wrote: »
    BUT, when you discover that you can run, jump, ski and not worry about what chair you sit in, it is very worth it.

This is precisely what motivates me. I absolutely love sports, especially adrenaline sports like skiing and surfing and I just cannot wait for the day that I’m able to get myself out there and doing these things again.

I believe that when I reach that milestone, I’ll be active all the time.

I’ve watched a lot about weight loss surgery and it’s true — most of them seem to lose a tremendous amount and then sit at a certain stage afterwards. Great for them but that’s not the road I’m choosing. I know I’m strong enough to do this myself.

• newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    newmantjn wrote: »
    BUT, when you discover that you can run, jump, ski and not worry about what chair you sit in, it is very worth it.

I believe that when I reach that milestone, I’ll be active all the time.

I’ve watched a lot about weight loss surgery and it’s true — most of them seem to lose a tremendous amount and then sit at a certain stage afterwards. Great for them but that’s not the road I’m choosing. I know I’m strong enough to do this myself.

Couple of things - Don't wait to start having fun. Start as soon as you can, doing what you can. Hike if you can't run. Kayak, whatever. Change your life and start thinking about yourself as an active, fit person - but a work in progress. Think about lifting. ANYBODY can lift weights. Look at Starting Strength program. For cardio, bike and elliptical is easy on the joints.

Re: Surgery - if all you want is skinny it may be viable. YOU want athletic and active. You will need to eat when you get there and on the way. You might want to lift or whatever, the surgery (IMO) could hamper getting the all the right nutrients.

Also, don't attempt to get it done overnight. This WILL be a two year job, if you are lucky. Don't put your life on hold until you're done. Don't rush it and get discouraged. Once you lose about 30 lbs, you will notice and so will other people. Buy new clothes and enjoy your smaller but not there yet body.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/

Read through this blog, been at it for 12 years now. She has the stats and citations and medical background. She's all about CICO. Me, too

http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/2017/01/lap-band-must-be-removed-within-5-years.html

"5% of people on non surgical weight loss programs can keep off the weight. With weight loss surgery it's only 7% even with more invasive procedures like the gastric bypass. Many weight loss surgery surgeons don't expect patients to keep off any more than half their excess weight in the long run even when they are putting in the work, but again, how many seminars tell that to prospective patients who are typically 100 and 200 lbs over their "goal weight"?"

Beating the odds. There's no such thing as the Finish Line. The 5 year benchmark is where the rubber meets the road. How many go on to maintain their major weight loss after 5 years, read through all of the blog.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The magic happens in your head. You knew that. Thanks for the update!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,236 Member
    It's been a while since I posted in here but thought I'd update it -- I've now lost well over 60lbs. I'm still determined and am working very hard. I have already proven myself and am proud of myself. Can't wait to lose more though! :)

Well done. Congratulations!! Best wishes on your journey to goal weight (and beyond).
  • TheRedQueen1981
    Thanks everyone. This is most certainly a mental challenge more than anything and I think anyone who embarks on the weight loss journey needs to realise that it's a permanent mental challenge; I think acknowledging this from the get go is the best thing and will set people up much better for success. Having said that...I know the word 'challenge' maybe makes it sound difficult but it's really not...at least not always. It's often easy, especially when you are losing consistently and feel so proud of yourself that you feel capable of tackling anything. There's obviously bad days but they will be there regardless so may as well have bad days whilst also having amazing days. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    It's been a while since I posted in here but thought I'd update it -- I've now lost well over 60lbs. I'm still determined and am working very hard. I have already proven myself and am proud of myself. Can't wait to lose more though! :)

Way to go. You got this.

My original loss was 140lbs (reached in 2016). I did gain some back after surgery, but not much. I’m not even 100% sure the weight I originally reached was sustainable for me. My profile pic is current and only about 14lbs heavier than my lowest weight. I am hoping I can continue to keep most of the fat I lost off long term.
  • TheRedQueen1981

Way to go. You got this.

My original loss was 140lbs (reached in 2016). I did gain some back after surgery, but not much. I’m not even 100% sure the weight I originally reached was sustainable for me. My profile pic is current and only about 14lbs heavier than my lowest weight. I am hoping I can continue to keep most of the fat I lost off long term.

Wow, you look amazing. Well done to you for maintaining such a huge weight loss. You're now one of my inspirations. :)

• wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    That's just silly. I've lost 85 pounds so far and have 40 to go...I did it mostly with just eating less and eating better. I just started exercise a month ago. Now granted I've been doing this for 2 years and haven't hit maintenance yet, but I like my new life so I see no reason as to why I'd ever go back. I'm sure others can fill you in on maintenance
  • TheRedQueen1981
    wmweeza wrote: »
    That's just silly. I've lost 85 pounds so far and have 40 to go...I did it mostly with just eating less and eating better. I just started exercise a month ago. Now granted I've been doing this for 2 years and haven't hit maintenance yet, but I like my new life so I see no reason as to why I'd ever go back. I'm sure others can fill you in on maintenance
    Precisely. If people lose weight and are able to create an enjoyable lifestyle, there's no real reason as to why they shouldn't be able to keep the weight off without surgery.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I actually don't think that the statistics are very good on this. We hear the 5% number bandied about, but that is one piece of data based on a very limited set of circumstances. We hear it repeated often because it makes for good blog articles, and because people love to be bearers of bad news.

Here's a link I just saw which, although it still claims that many people regain weight, paints a much better statistical picture:

Summary: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160402112741.htm

Abstract: https://www.endocrine.org/meetings/endo-annual-meetings/abstract-details?ID=24110&ID=24110
    Patients who lost more weight early on were more likely to continue to lose weight over time. Among patients with modest weight loss, 23.1 percent maintained their weight and 2.0 percent continued to lose weight over the two-year monitoring period; in those with moderate weight loss, 14.1 percent maintained their weight loss and 4.1 percent continued to lose weight; and in those with high weight loss, 19.4 percent maintained their weight and 11.1 percent continued to lose weight.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Try looking up The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) and its lead researcher James O. Hill.
    The NWCR studies people who have lost a fair amount of weight and managed to keep that weight off for 1 year or more.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I actually don't think that the statistics are very good on this. We hear the 5% number bandied about, but that is one piece of data based on a very limited set of circumstances. We hear it repeated often because it makes for good blog articles, and because people love to be bearers of bad news.

Here's a link I just saw which, although it still claims that many people regain weight, paints a much better statistical picture:

Summary: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160402112741.htm

Abstract: https://www.endocrine.org/meetings/endo-annual-meetings/abstract-details?ID=24110&ID=24110
    Patients who lost more weight early on were more likely to continue to lose weight over time. Among patients with modest weight loss, 23.1 percent maintained their weight and 2.0 percent continued to lose weight over the two-year monitoring period; in those with moderate weight loss, 14.1 percent maintained their weight loss and 4.1 percent continued to lose weight; and in those with high weight loss, 19.4 percent maintained their weight and 11.1 percent continued to lose weight.

Interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.