I'm getting burnt out

Options
2»

Replies

• dukeingram
    dukeingram Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I look for new music to keep me motivated.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Some people in your situation have had success switching to GW maintenance. Yes, the last few will come off slowly, but it is a good solution to deficit weariness -which is a real thing!- because it's a total mindset shift. Loss journey over. Maintenance/recomp phase begun. Honestly, everyone in maintenance is perpetually gaining and losing in a 5 lb range (or more) anyway. Congrats on your dedication, perseverance and success so far.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Some people in your situation have had success switching to GW maintenance. Yes, the last few will come off slowly, but it is a good solution to deficit weariness -which is a real thing!- because it's a total mindset shift. Loss journey over. Maintenance/recomp phase begun. Honestly, everyone in maintenance is perpetually gaining and losing in a 5 lb range (or more) anyway. Congrats on your dedication, perseverance and success so far.

This is certainly true for me. I've been maintaining about 7 years now and it really is just a series of me re-gaining and re-losing the same 5 (sometimes 10) pounds over and over.
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started my maintenance when I had 2 or 3 pounds remaining to goal. Basically just trying to figure out what my exact net calorie intake should be. I lost those 2 lbs during my first maintenance week, oops. I've continued bumping my net calories up, and I've still lost another 6 lbs. Your body is a funny thing, and it will do what it wants to do, regardless of what your math predicts sometimes. Your metabolism shifts during weight loss, and despite what "they" say, it's not always into a lower gear. Obviously mine shifted into a higher gear. Try maintenance. If it does nothing for you, you can always restrict calories again. Meanwhile, you've gained the knowledge of the exact net calorie level that actually holds your weight at a steady point, given your current exercise regime.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been on this weight loss grind for about 18 months. I did this slow on purpose so that I had a better chance of sustaining this lifestyle. I'm down about 50lbs and have 4lbs to go and suddenly I have just hit a wall in my motivation. I am getting so tired of eating at a deficit and working out five days a week. I've even incorporated a refeed day once a week and I still feel like this. I don't want to go on a diet break when I'm so close. Do I have any other options?

TDEE: 2000-2200 calories
    Daily food logging is usually around 1500 calories
    5'4
    144lbs

Well, on March 31st, 2019, about four weeks ago, I cleared a full FIVE YEARS on MFP.

I've had many ups and downs with self-control, etc. but it's been worth it sticking it out.

I started out at 5' 9" at 422+ pounds and a BMI over 60.

On July 17th, 2017, I was 385 pounds after much yo-yo-ing and misplaced motivation and unsupervised exercise.

I asked my family doctor to come on board with a dietician and an exercise physiologist after three months on protein shakes, espresso coffee (and little else).

Today, Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019, I am, at last, down to 242 pounds.

This is because I started out with fortnightly, then monthly then six-week-apart visits to my dietician and exercise physiologist.

I appreciate the calorie-controlled, high-protein, medium-carb diet. I appreciate the supervision of my menus and food choices. I appreciate the exercise advise when has increased my balance and strength and, ultimately opened up more movement and exercise opportunities.

In summary, *** (a) I aim for about 1200-1300 calories per day but I never worry if it climbs to 1850-2000 calories a few times per week; *** (b) I have been swimming 75-125 minutes per day every day since November 2015. If I can't swim because of soreness/illness, I get in the pool and walk. In about 1100 days I have missed fewer than 25 days at the pool; *** (c) I visit the physiologist's gym at least three times per week for 55-105 minutes for balance and weightlifting. My average is about 3.85 visits per week. He updates my exercise regime with some new stuff every six weeks; *** (d) Since January 2019, I have been riding a road-bicycle at least daily (sometimes twice per day) totalling about 8-9 hours per week.

I enjoy that the calorie deficit means that I'm lighter but far more muscular, fitter than I have been for over a quarter of a century and able to walk or move without shortness of breath that plagued me not so long ago.

It's all about making a routine and staying away from excuses. Get to the pool every day before breakfast; get to the gym as often as your day activities will allow. Get on your bike for at least 30 minutes EVEN IF you have to ride before sunrise or way after dusk. DO IT.

The results will happen. I have gone from 48% body fat to under 29%. My body's centre of gravity is 3.5" (88 millimetres) higher than in 2017.

Do remember: exercise does next-to-nothing but toning you and advancing the speed of your metabolism a bit. It's the calorie controlled diet and the massive calorie deficit that eventually plays a part.
  • keenest37
    keenest37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 4" & my goal is 144 lbs.. You're there. Awesome!!
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Is 4lbs really worth the stress? 18 months is FANTASTIC!!! Great job on sticking with it for this long and your weight loss so far! I don't have any suggestions, mind you, other than to try not to be so hard on yourself. I'm sure you're aware that our bodies fluctuate weight anyway so even if it says you lost that 4lbs today and you do everything perfectly, it could be back tomorrow.

Just be kind to yourself. Take the break if you need it. Do a different workout that you haven't done yet so it's fun vs a chore.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    As I read this I'm wondering - are you burned out from eating at a deficit, or getting burned out from exercising five days per week? I ask because a number of years ago I burned out from exercise. A day came when I just couldn't face the thought of doing it again. I've slowly learned that cut-back weeks in my exercise plan are as important as diet breaks from weight loss. Consider carefully the source of your resentment. Maybe that helps... Good luck.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've been on this weight loss grind for about 18 months. I did this slow on purpose so that I had a better chance of sustaining this lifestyle. I'm down about 50lbs and have 4lbs to go and suddenly I have just hit a wall in my motivation. I am getting so tired of eating at a deficit and working out five days a week. I've even incorporated a refeed day once a week and I still feel like this. I don't want to go on a diet break when I'm so close. Do I have any other options?

TDEE: 2000-2200 calories
    Daily food logging is usually around 1500 calories
    5'4
    144lbs

Well, on March 31st, 2019, about four weeks ago, I cleared a full FIVE YEARS on MFP.

I've had many ups and downs with self-control, etc. but it's been worth it sticking it out.

I started out at 5' 9" at 422+ pounds and a BMI over 60.

On July 17th, 2017, I was 385 pounds after much yo-yo-ing and misplaced motivation and unsupervised exercise.

I asked my family doctor to come on board with a dietician and an exercise physiologist after three months on protein shakes, espresso coffee (and little else).

Today, Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019, I am, at last, down to 242 pounds.

This is because I started out with fortnightly, then monthly then six-week-apart visits to my dietician and exercise physiologist.

I appreciate the calorie-controlled, high-protein, medium-carb diet. I appreciate the supervision of my menus and food choices. I appreciate the exercise advise when has increased my balance and strength and, ultimately opened up more movement and exercise opportunities.

In summary, *** (a) I aim for about 1200-1300 calories per day but I never worry if it climbs to 1850-2000 calories a few times per week; *** (b) I have been swimming 75-125 minutes per day every day since November 2015. If I can't swim because of soreness/illness, I get in the pool and walk. In about 1100 days I have missed fewer than 25 days at the pool; *** (c) I visit the physiologist's gym at least three times per week for 55-105 minutes for balance and weightlifting. My average is about 3.85 visits per week. He updates my exercise regime with some new stuff every six weeks; *** (d) Since January 2019, I have been riding a road-bicycle at least daily (sometimes twice per day) totalling about 8-9 hours per week.

I enjoy that the calorie deficit means that I'm lighter but far more muscular, fitter than I have been for over a quarter of a century and able to walk or move without shortness of breath that plagued me not so long ago.

It's all about making a routine and staying away from excuses. Get to the pool every day before breakfast; get to the gym as often as your day activities will allow. Get on your bike for at least 30 minutes EVEN IF you have to ride before sunrise or way after dusk. DO IT.

The results will happen. I have gone from 48% body fat to under 29%. My body's centre of gravity is 3.5" (88 millimetres) higher than in 2017.

Do remember: exercise does next-to-nothing but toning you and advancing the speed of your metabolism a bit. It's the calorie controlled diet and the massive calorie deficit that eventually plays a part.

Thanks for the info, but this in no way has anything to do with my post.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Just a thought but are you unhappy only because of a number? If so, I suggest putting it aside and starting your recomp now. In a few months evaluate how you feel and decide then if you need to lose a few more pounds.

not unhappy because of a number. I just stick to my goals.

It is the same thing. You want to hit a goal that is a number and you won't be satisfied until you do. Satisfied in this case is the same as happy.

I think everyone's goal should be overall fitness not a number.