Help, cant stop over thinking my plan

Options
LargeEricS
LargeEricS Posts: 109 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys in search of sound advice. Last year i lost around 40lbs starting from 270 ending at 225. Im 23, 6'3 and landscape for a living. I achieved my weight loss last time through the full insanity program, then switching to cardio+weights six times a week. Fast forward to now, a job change, some stress and im back around 255lbs. But despite being older and wiser cant seem to shake the weight this time. Im currently doing 25min on a elliptical 6x a week and have only lost 2lbs in 23 days. Im eating cleaner than the first go around, using what i learned last time but not seeing near the results. The ONLY difference i can think of is I was eating around 2000 calories last time and not eating back any workout calories and this time im only eating 1800 and no workout calories. Is it possible that the 2000 cal. mark is a sweet spot and 1800 is just to low?

Replies

• LargeEricS
    Options
    If someone has any input, it would be much appreciated
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,912 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If you are doing the MFP method you are suppose to eat back your calories from working out.....A lot of people on here only eat 1/2 of them back since machines etc. are not accurate. If you do not want to add your work out calories in...you can use a Tdee calculator to figure out your Tdee and eat that number...wishing you the very best :)
  • LargeEricS
    Options
    I have a digital food scale I use to weigh my food. Whats puzzling to me was i used only measuring cups last time which arent near as accurate. And when i look through my old logs i wasnt nearly on point as i thought i was.
  • LargeEricS
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If you are doing the MFP method you are suppose to eat back your calories from working out.....A lot of people on here only eat 1/2 of them back since machines etc. are not accurate. If you do not want to add your work out calories in...you can use a Tdee calculator to figure out your Tdee and eat that number...wishing you the very best :)

My TDEE IS AROUND 2600 calories as im quite active at work. My BMR is right 2100 calories(according to 3 online calculators). So that's what I was shooting for in the beginning hoping fat burn will make up the rest of the energy and calories needed. I also call myself the next activity level down on MFP to help with possible inaccuracy in logging.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    No one gains (or maintains) weight by eating 'too little', so we can at least rule out that. The short answer is that if you're maintaining weight, then you're eating at maintenance, or over-estimate how many calories you've burned (or a mixture of both). There's a fancy flow chart for this that floats around on the forum, but I don't have it saved to post here.

y72venk36cas.jpg
  • LargeEricS
    Options
    Whats got my head in a pretzel is ill have a decent week and lose 2lbs, solid loss. Weight myself the following week and i lost 6 and i was pumped but chalked some ig it up to water loss after a good wprkout the night before. Then after what i thought similar week to last, i gain 4lbs. Weighed myself in disgust to see 1lbs less differnce from sunday morning before for a grand total of 4 rollercoaster lbs. lost in 23 days
  • LargeEricS
    Options
    My point is last time around it was 2lbs a week easily sometimes 3. Was i just in weight loss bliss and no im back to weight loss reality? Could 2000 calories be better for me than 1800?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Do not make changes based on one week. Collect data over several weeks then look at the average. Put the scale away for a few weeks if normal fluctuations are making you crazy.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Do not make changes based on one week. Collect data over several weeks then look at the average. Put the scale away for a few weeks if normal fluctuations are making you crazy.

Or use a weight trend app (happy scale, Libra). I also think, given your stats, 1lb/wk ON AVERAGE is an appropriate goal. I can’t hypothesize on why you lost faster before. Maybe your inaccurate logging was undercounting or your old job was more active or insanity burned more than your present cardio. For sure, though, no one should expect to lose faster on 2000 cal than on 1800cal (measured the same way).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    Are you still landscaping like you were last year? Same type of crew and jobs?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    do what you did before with success.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    LargeEricS wrote: »
    Hey guys in search of sound advice. Last year i lost around 40lbs starting from 270 ending at 225. Im 23, 6'3 and landscape for a living. I achieved my weight loss last time through the full insanity program, then switching to cardio+weights six times a week. Fast forward to now, a job change, some stress and im back around 255lbs. But despite being older and wiser cant seem to shake the weight this time. Im currently doing 25min on a elliptical 6x a week and have only lost 2lbs in 23 days. Im eating cleaner than the first go around, using what i learned last time but not seeing near the results. The ONLY difference i can think of is I was eating around 2000 calories last time and not eating back any workout calories and this time im only eating 1800 and no workout calories. Is it possible that the 2000 cal. mark is a sweet spot and 1800 is just to low?

Anything fitting better?
    I've lost count of the amount of times my scale did jack crap but I lost inches somewhere.

If there's no weight loss nor improvement in measurements or clothes-fit, then you need to examine your intake and your activity level. Are you really consistent and diligent with your tracking and measuring? Are you really as active as you were last time, as PAV8888 alluded? How about your NEAT? When we cut calories, and work out hard, we can slip and move around less over all the rest of the day. Over time that has impact on how much we burn.
    Something has to be off somewhere. And it is not that you aren't eating enough unfortunately.

All that to say, examine what you are doing, fix any problems, and then do the thing until you are seeing some kind of progress.
  • LargeEricS
    Options
    Im really trying to examine the differences but when i look back at last year i was constantly like 10 calories over, some days not logging, cheat days every saturday. Looking back it was so sloppy, and by no means are t's crossed and I's dotted but its more on point than last time.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think the Insanity programme is aptly named :) and I think what jumped out at me was that this is far more exercise than 25 mins on an ellipitcal - and are you doing less physical work in the day now since the job change ? If you are comfortable with it, I would bump up the exercise and include exercises that use your body weight. My partner and I both did the Insanity DVD's and it never got to the point where either of us thought 'nailed that'. There was always a pool of sweat, burning muscles and a need for a lie down at the end of every single session......the added bonus might be that the extra exercise will help with the stress too ! Good luck !
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Eric, you have all my sympathy, but at the same time I find your problem very interesting. The posts here tend to be of two types, either "I'm logging and doing great!" or "I'm not logging and regaining."

It sounds like you are logging with greater than average accuracy. Last year I logged while eating out, just estimating portion sizes, and not exercising at all, and still lost 60 pounds. So your accuracy and activity is great to me.

Please keep us posted, because as you experiment with yourself while keeping such accurate records, I think you might discover something the rest of us don't know.