How many of you use spices in daily meals? Which is your go to spices combination and why?

Options
13»

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Hot peppers. Lots of hot peppers.
    Love Carolina Reapers. But then I seem to have developed a level of tolerance that would burn the average person gut.
  • IWillTakeBackMyLife
    IWillTakeBackMyLife Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use spices in just about every meal. My favorites are cayenne pepper, ginger, turmeric, rosemary, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon and red pepper flakes.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    How many of you use spices to make vegetables delish? I practice Ayurveda and we use spices and herbs for anything and everything.
    What is your spice of choice and why?

@Deeptisingh - what are your fav spices? I love buying spices all around the world. Going to India in June and can’t wait to pick up some local flavor!! 😋
    Last trip to Turkey and Qatar I picked up some amazing saffron and pul biber . Always looking for new spices to try. :)
  • MidwestAndHappy
    MidwestAndHappy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have an entire cupboard of spices in my kitchen but I generally start with salt, pepper and garlic and build from there.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Zataar, blackened seasoning, Montreal steak seasoning are good. Also cumin, paprika, garlic, onion, and cayenne.
  • mstheglitch
    mstheglitch Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your question makes me sad. :( I'm allergic to most, if not all, of the basic herbs (I used to be able to eat basil but it isn't going so well now). No rosemary, oregano, sage, etc for me. However, my husband is a great cook and makes a mean garlic anything.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,423 Member
    Options
    I have about 40-50 little pots with spices (used to buy them by grams in my own pots) and use whatever I need. I cook quite a bit of Indian food, various Asian (currently into Malay and Indonesian), Chinese, French.. everything goes.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I always cook with spices and herbs. Bland food is just boring. My go-to blend it salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and paprika. It really depends on my mood though. I have several spice blends, such as "Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel" and "Trader Joe's Umami Seasoning", plus some Asian blends. I also have a whole collection of Indian spices because I make Indian food a lot.

I just avoid cinnamon because I'm allergic to it. If something calls for cinnamon, I usually add some Allspice instead (Which is not a blend of all spices, like I used to think. Its actually a berry/seed).
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I have a family member who works at Mountain Rose Herbs, so I have lots and lots and lots of dried herbs and spices. I use them in all of my meal prep. It depends on what I'm cooking and the flavor profile I'm going for, but my staples are oregano, basil, parsley, cilantro, comino (cumin), Chinese 5 spice, smoked sea salt, Tony Chachere's spicy Creole seasoning; red pepper flakes, of course good ol' onions and garlic.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,541 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned herbes de Provence? I use it on everything. A bit mixed in with vegetables heading for the grilling basket is delectable.

Victoria spice brand has some phenomenal mixes. I used to find them at TJ Maxx for $5 bucks a big jar. Their toasted onion, pizza seasoning, honey Aleppo and herbes de Provence were all good. I just can’t bring myself to pay $10 a jar plus shipping now. I got spoiled.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned herbes de Provence? I use it on everything. A bit mixed in with vegetables heading for the grilling basket is delectable.

Victoria spice brand has some phenomenal mixes. I used to find them at TJ Maxx for $5 bucks a big jar. Their toasted onion, pizza seasoning, honey Aleppo and herbes de Provence were all good. I just can’t bring myself to pay $10 a jar plus shipping now. I got spoiled.

I did - but that was a million pages ago :)

Herbs de Provence lover here! I bought mine in Provence too and just used it all up- bittersweet.

It’s great on everything isn’t it?

Aleppo pepper is my next purchase!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Safari_Gal wrote: »

I did - but that was a million pages ago :)

Herbs de Provence lover here! I bought mine in Provence too and just used it all up- bittersweet.

It’s great on everything isn’t it?

Aleppo pepper is my next purchase!

I use Aleppo pepper instead of cayenne or red pepper flakes. More flavor, a touch of citrus, and slightly milder heat.