Anyone doing the 16/8 hour fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Started 16/8 a few days ago just by skipping breakfast and so far it seems to work suprisingly well. I am a bit foggy in the morning, but not nearly as hungry as expected. My main binge times are morning (work stress) and evenings (letting go), so it might be a good fit for me to avoid food during these times altogether. I just have to loose a couple of pounds and am on 1200cals a day, which is really hard if you stretch it out over 3 meals. However, with 2 meals and a snack, I seem to be doing alright. - Fingers crossed, this will work for me in the longer run.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @tmpecus78, I can relate to what you share. What I learned from my OMAD 22:2 experience with a feeding window beginning when the sun sets, is that I enjoy the big eating that 22:2 offers. The slight discomfort of an extended fasting period goes away as the discipline builds or doesn't exist with a busy work/life schedule.

If there was a slight discomfort, it was small, for me, in relation to the joy of a big meal after an extended fast. And, the food was absolutely delicious. Never ate a bad meal and never was not lukewarm satisfied with what I ate. In fact, I was very satisfied. Also enjoyed fasted-state workouts which included a 60-minute Sunday run generally during the 15th hour of my fasts.

Not for everyone but great for some. I don't push it but will share my experiences to those who are curious and suggest "safe" ways to begin and have abundant success. The spillover benefit of the IF discipline is great in other areas of life.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    @tmpecus78, I can relate to what you share. What I learned from my OMAD 22:2 experience with a feeding window beginning when the sun sets, is that I enjoy the big eating that 22:2 offers. The slight discomfort of an extended fasting period goes away as the discipline builds or doesn't exist with a busy work/life schedule.

If there was a slight discomfort, it was small, for me, in relation to the joy of a big meal after an extended fast. And, the food was absolutely delicious. Never ate a bad meal and never was not lukewarm satisfied with what I ate. In fact, I was very satisfied. Also enjoyed fasted-state workouts which included a 60-minute Sunday run generally during the 15th hour of my fasts.

Not for everyone but great for some. I don't push it but will share my experiences to those who are curious and suggest "safe" ways to begin and have abundant success. The spillover benefit of the IF discipline is great in other areas of life.

def not for everyone, but I find that being in a ketogenic state it is really effortless to fast for long periods of time. Now if I was consuming 300-400g of carbs I would want a larger feeding window.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    shroodle88 wrote: »
    Started 16/8 a few days ago just by skipping breakfast and so far it seems to work suprisingly well. I am a bit foggy in the morning, but not nearly as hungry as expected. My main binge times are morning (work stress) and evenings (letting go), so it might be a good fit for me to avoid food during these times altogether. I just have to loose a couple of pounds and am on 1200cals a day, which is really hard if you stretch it out over 3 meals. However, with 2 meals and a snack, I seem to be doing alright. - Fingers crossed, this will work for me in the longer run.

Today is day 2 for me on the 16:8 IF. I thought it would be extremely hard, but so far, so good. I was a little more hungry this morning, but I had my black coffee & drank a ton of water. I also find that I'm not as hungry as I expected to be. It might be water weight, but I'm down 2 lbs from yesterday. But, I will take any loss that I can get!! I've got a good 30 lbs that I would like to use, but realistically if I could drop 15 of those 30 I'd be a happy camper :smiley:
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @awolf2011, one "trick" to having lasting IF success is to fuel your body with quality food, always working on making smart choices to meet your satiety needs. If you eat poorly and junk at the end of your feeding window, the next day is going to be extra challenging and you may fall off. Food is fuel for your body and brain. Get your joys with something else.
  • sjb11973
    sjb11973 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m doing 18:6 start eating at 12 and finish at 6. I find I have a lot more energy, which really surprised me!! My training has improved also. I now look at it as my way of eating and doubt I’ll ever stop. I basically eat two high calorie meals per day with min 2 litres water and an apple cider vinegar mixed drink which has also settled my digestion troubles that I’ve had for 29 years. Good luck with it hope it works as well for you!
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @sjb11973, thanks for sharing the benefits you've experienced. Wishing you the best.
  • awolf2011
    Options
    @awolf2011, one "trick" to having lasting IF success is to fuel your body with quality food, always working on making smart choices to meet your satiety needs. If you eat poorly and junk at the end of your feeding window, the next day is going to be extra challenging and you may fall off. Food is fuel for your body and brain. Get your joys with something else.

Exactly. I did a lot of research on what foods to consume to fuel my body. I have to say that from a person who "LOVES" sweets, I only had 3 miniature candy bars this past week. That is a huge win for me. I'm finding that I'm not craving those junk foods as I once did.
  • awolf2011
    Options
    sjb11973 wrote: »
    I’m doing 18:6 start eating at 12 and finish at 6. I find I have a lot more energy, which really surprised me!! My training has improved also. I now look at it as my way of eating and doubt I’ll ever stop. I basically eat two high calorie meals per day with min 2 litres water and an apple cider vinegar mixed drink which has also settled my digestion troubles that I’ve had for 29 years. Good luck with it hope it works as well for you!

I thought that my workouts would be affected by the fasting, but I actually think that I have a clearer head while doing it. I fast from 8 pm to Noon & I workout at 5:30 am, 45 min workouts and it works really well. I do have some bouts of hunger around 10 am, but I'm trying to drink a ton of water, which helps with that.
  • Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 16/8 IF also. I started this last Monday. Good luck on your journey.
    awolf2011 wrote: »
    shroodle88 wrote: »

Today is day 2 for me on the 16:8 IF. I thought it would be extremely hard, but so far, so good. I was a little more hungry this morning, but I had my black coffee & drank a ton of water. I also find that I'm not as hungry as I expected to be. It might be water weight, but I'm down 2 lbs from yesterday. But, I will take any loss that I can get!! I've got a good 30 lbs that I would like to use, but realistically if I could drop 15 of those 30 I'd be a happy camper :smiley:

• StephenJDix
    StephenJDix Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I've been doing the Bulletproof Keto diet with 16/8 IF. The Bulletproof coffee in the Am gets me through the morning. My eating window is 12:30pm to 8:30pm and is pretty easy to maintain except for weekends when the family wants to go out for breakfast.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @Elle562018 and @StephenJDix, wishing you the best in your IF journeys. We have an Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP that may be a helpful and supportive resource for you. Why don't you stop by and say hello, maybe share a little and browse around. It's content rich and constantly updated with information IF practitioner types are interested in.

Here's how you get there: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Hope to see you soon; enjoy your day.