I'm on Keto and sick, Desperately looking for suggestions for Keto friendly cough syrup

Options
Just like the title says. I'm on Keto and doing so good. I'm now very sick. Hurts to swallow, throat is burning, chest is heavy and fever is coming and going. Anyone have any suggestions for any kind of Keto friendly cough syrup or cough drops? I can't have aspartame as I'm allergic, and most sugar free stuff has that garbage sweetner in it.

Replies

• avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Gargle warm salt water, and/or lemon water. Neither of these are fixes but they should ease symptoms somewhat.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Pills
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Halls also makes a sugar free black cherry lozenge
  • Ryewhisky75
    Ryewhisky75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the words of advice everyone :) I will go to the doctor if it gets worse. Long story short, I have no health coverage and can't get any because I am a Canadian living in the States (Its going to be another 4 + months before my Visas go through, my Immigration lawyer says it could be up to another 6 months but I am being optimistic). So for now, I will send the hubby to the store to find those sugar free halls and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse <3
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    For some reason my comment didn't post but look for Buckley's cough syrup. I believe it is said to be disgusting tasting but shouldn't have any sugar in it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,476 Member
    Options
    avlucia wrote: »
    Gargle warm salt water, and/or lemon water. Neither of these are fixes but they should ease symptoms somewhat.

Actually, lemon and salt both make it worse. Salt dehydrates and can cause more coughing symptoms in the throat, and lemon is very harsh in general (it's an acid after all), and throwing that on a sore spot is not good. I think lemon used with a cold stems from combining lemon juice with honey and maybe ginger. Honey is a natural antiseptic, lemon is full of vitamin C. Ginger.. no idea. It certainly helps against nausea and is tasty. But lemon itself will likely make things worse.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    1u957o4d7vf5.png
    Look very closely @ the inactive ingredients part; no aspartame in this particular product
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Am all for the hot lemon and ginger (am not a fan of honey). Ginger is good as an anti-inflammatory and can help with any nausea. Hydration is really important so please aim to get a lot of water on board. I also find sleeping as upright as you can stops all the ick pooling around your poor sore throat, along with a lot of Vicks Menthol slapped on between your chin and sternum. I hope you are feeling better soon OP.