Is It Really Necessary?

Options
I have alot of respect for these people and what they are doing for themselves and their children...but is it really necessary to take it this far? Seems a little over the top! 90% of the food in my house wouldn't be acceptable to them and I consider myself to be a pretty healthy eater!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/how-one-family-broke-its-junk-food-addiction-2530910#photoViewer=1

Would love any thoughts...

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Post the article? I'm on my phone.
  • crobinson53
    Options
    How one family broke its junk food addiction

by Piper Weiss, Shine Staff

Inspired by an Oprah interview with food activist Michael Pollan, Lisa and her husband, Jason, embarked on the challenge as a way to rethink their unhealthy eating habits. Lisa was raised on Doritos and powdered macaroni and cheese. She tried to prepare healthy meals for her daughters, Sienna, then 3 and Sydney, then 5, but like most busy moms, she relied heavily on processed frozen meals and boxed groceries that had mile-long ingredients lists and the potential to cause long-term health problems, like heart disease and diabetes. Even the foods she thought were healthy weren't as natural as she had once believed. "I was so surprised by how much food is processed," says Lisa, "like for example, bread that lists wheat as an ingredient isn't good for you unless it's made from whole wheat. You really have to study the ingredients."

In an effort to force themselves to consume more cautiously, the Leake family set some temporary guidelines: no refined grains or sweeteners, nothing deep fried, only local hormone-free meats and organic fruits and veggies and absolutely nothing out of a box, can, bag, bottle or package with more than five ingredients listed on the label.

Lisa gave up her morning white chocolate mocha coffee drink ritual. Her husband, who works in technical sales and travels part of the month, gave up fast food pit stops on the road. But the hardest habits to break came into play when feeding the girls. An after-dinner treat meant getting creative with applesauce, fruit juice and yogurt. On grocery shopping expeditions with the kids, Lisa anticipated resistance as they skated past the colorful boxes of cereal and aisles of cookies.

Lisa's blog, 100daysofrealfood.com, chronicles her family's journey adapting to all-natural unprocessed food. There were hardships, like Sydney's meltdown after being offered a donut from a friend, and the various birthday cakes they had to pass up. Lisa practically lived in the kitchen pre-planning meals and freezing homemade soups she could access in a pinch.

But after 100 days, their palates had evolved. “Artificial food actually tastes bad after eating fresh food for so long,” she explains. But investing in all those organic groceries and specialty ingredients, also impacted their bank account. So the family took up another challenge: 100 days of real food on a budget.
    With a weekly budget of $125 for a family of four (around the same amount or less than required for a food stamps budget), Lisa was forced to get creative. She spent $30 on plants and seeds for growing her own veggie garden. She invested in a economy size bags of brown rice and occasionally employed martini glasses to make plain old yogurt or juice smoothies look like more indulgent parfaits.

Chronicling her daily inventiveness, from recipes to money-saving tips and candid I-can’t-take-this-much-more rants, garnered her blog a growing following and another idea. The 10-day pledge is a modified challenge that Lisa's developed for readers who want to try the Leake model. So far, 1,500 families have accepted the challenge and in the past six months, Lisa’s Facebook fans have skyrocketed to 14,000.

Now the original 100-day challenge has become more or less a way of life for the Leake family. “Our new normal is that the kids can have one treat a week, whether it’s at school or at birthday parties or something we make from scratch at home like ice cream,” says Lisa.

But being a mom of growing girls presents new challenges. This week, Sydney starts first grade, and a whole new world of school-sanctioned food education. “Beyond cafeteria lunches, there’s so many activities based around junk food for kids,” says Lisa. “There’s an upcoming fundraiser at a pizza place, and something else where the kids all go to Krispy Kreme. These things all might happen on the same day that kids get Skittles as a reward for something they do at school, so I want to come up with new ways kids can be rewarded without using food.”

So far, she’s managed to re-issue a healthier snack-approved list for parents in Sydney's school, encouraging parents to pack fresh fruits like grapes and cherries over Rice Krispie Treats.

But the danger of banning junk food, or anything for that matter, from kids, is the seduction factor. “I do worry that by banning junk, they’ll end up wanting it more, so I’m trying to let the girls start making their own informed choices,” she says.

“Yesterday I was sitting outside with my daughters and some other kids were eating those 'freezey pops' that are pretty much just artificial syrups," says Lisa. "Of course they wanted one. So I said, you can either have one of those pops or some homemade ice cream. They chose the pops. But later my older daughter said she didn’t like how they tasted, so I figure she’s learning on her own why those foods aren’t good."

And why is that?

"They taste gross after eating fresh food.”
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    I would like to see it but I can't access the link
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Not sure why you think it is too far?

I think they've done great.

It's how I've done it for the last 35 days. Just cut out everything and started all over again! Ok, not organic as I am on a very tight budget, but I'm getting there.

And they are right, your taste buds change. I tried my favourite crisps, ate a couple and they wer horrible! I still don't trust myself with cheese, or pizza so am avoiding that at ALL costs, but again, I suspect in another 30 days I'll be able to try a bit and wonder what the attraction was.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I understand the sentiment, but not allowing their children to have a piece of birthday cake at another childs birthday party does seem extreme.

Alot of my foods would be taboo for them too, but I'm still happy with the choices we make these days compared to what we used to.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    There were hardships, like Sydney's meltdown after being offered a donut from a friend, and the various birthday cakes they had to pass up. Lisa practically lived in the kitchen pre-planning meals and freezing homemade soups she could access in a pinch.

I think that is probably a bit too far., I'm assuming the birthday cakes in question were at parties attended by the kids and not their own cakes. Surely a kid can go to a party and enjoy it without worrying about their diet while there are there?
  • kyleskrinak
    kyleskrinak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd say that the new "normal" on what is good food is really far removed from what is best for our bodies. Hence our ubiquitous corpulence. Not only do I not consider this radical, I admire their focus on honoring their bodies as they do.

Which is NOT to say that's how I live, but I'd sure like to! Organic and home-grown foods are expensive but definitely the right tract.
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    Well I do the Daniels fast every January which is stricter then that but I can't imagine doing that forever. I understand the need to limit children's junk food but if they are at a birthday party I am not going to tell them they can't have cake. I think it is good if you have the time and money but I think kids should be kids and be allowed a treat every now and then
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    No, I don't think its over the top at all - I don't think people realize how unhealthy most processed food is - we are not robots. Neither of my two kids eat any processed food - The main reason is because my second had severe food allergies and everything had to go. The unexpected outcome was that we were all a lot healthier - my asthma disappeared completely.

The only problem is that it takes a lot of time to prepare food. I can't buy ready made popcorn because of the additives and oils - so I have to pop it myself and keep it for later so the kids can have something instead of crisps. I often cook 3 times or more a day. Plus we grow our own vegetables. Its very time consuming but I think it is worth it the health benefits - I just wish food companies would see sense and have options for people like us.
  • natali_sh92
    natali_sh92 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thats totally OTT! being healthy is one thing, but completely depriving yourself is completely different. If i did this, i would just feel like im not living
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I understand the sentiment, but not allowing their children to have a piece of birthday cake at another childs birthday party does seem extreme.

Alot of my foods would be taboo for them too, but I'm still happy with the choices we make these days compared to what we used to.

Its not extreme - have you read the ingredients on a shop bought cake? That is extreme. It might sound harsh - but it doesn't mean they can't have a treat, it just means you have to go prepared all the time and thats a parents job its not for the child to worry about. I often have to pack my child a party food bag if he goes to a birthday party. But he has allergies - it wasn't really a choice, but if someone waved a magic wand and the allergies went away - it would be a relief but we wouldn't go back to eating processed foods. Plus it just doesn't taste good.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    thats totally OTT! being healthy is one thing, but completely depriving yourself is completely different. If i did this, i would just feel like im not living

I think your comment right there is a little OTT. Suicidal thoughts simply because you can't eat whatever you want? I understand you're joking, but still slightly ironic.

I think it's phenomenal what this woman decided to do, and if I had the will power I would certainly do the same! She displays a quality that I think many MFP members wish they had. She found her own way to overcome poor eating choices for herself and her family that seems to work for them. Also, if you look at the recipes she posted and things she was eating, they weren't really all that deprived. The article exaggerates (just) a little!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea, actually. Lots of adults grow up and make the decision to eat clean for the rest of their lives, and even though it's better for them, it's often hard in the beginning. Why would it be a bad thing to start children down that path early, to make it easier for them to be healthy as adults? They can always make the choice to mow down a bag of Doritos when they grow up if they want to.

I think the reason most parents (myself included) don't do this is because it's not easy. It's not "normal." But that just speaks to our own laziness and self-consciousness. We don't want to be the weirdos who don't do birthday cake. We don't want to spend a bunch of time in the kitchen. So we don't. But that doesn't mean it's wrong or extreme to live like this family. If anything, I think they should be commended for doing the RIGHT thing for their kids, even when it was hard.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options

I was at a friends wedding a few weeks ago, didn't eat the cake or buffet, I ate what I wanted before I went.

I don't feel like I'm not living, and we had a cracking day with good laughs all round.

I used to think 5 pints of beer a night was good living...
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to do the 100 day challenge. I hate processed food and hate that my kids love it! I do my best to get them to eat as healthily as I do, but it is a struggle. But then maybe I'm just lazy and SHOULD take this up with my kids.....
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I dont think depriving yourself completely is any healthier than overeating. You're just going from one extreme to another. Its not about extremes...its about moderation and BALANCE!

These kids are gonna grow up one day and mommy and daddy cant protect them from cake forever. How are they gonna feel as adults when they have that first taste and realize just what their parents have taken from them? I think they are 100 times more likely to become gluttonous adults because they've been so deeply deprived as children...however, if their parents would take the time to teach them "all things in moderation" then maybe they'd see that cake is an occasional treat and its not going to kill them.

I am not saying that these people have bad intentions. In fact I think we should all strive to better our diet and reduce our intake of processed foods....but I will never tell my child that he/she cant have a piece of cake at a birthday party or candy on Halloween. Thats part of being a kid and I wont take that away from my children.
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I was at a friends wedding a few weeks ago, didn't eat the cake or buffet, I ate what I wanted before I went.

I don't feel like I'm not living, and we had a cracking day with good laughs all round.

The difference is...you're an adult and you made the decision for yourself. You're not a little child who doesnt understand why they cant have cake at the party like all the other children!
  • FifiMcFu
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating healthily. If their kids want to eat junk when they're older, they'll be able to, but I'm fairly sure being raised like that can only benefit their attitude towards food.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options

The difference is...you're an adult and you made the decision for yourself. You're not a little child who doesnt understand why they cant have cake at the party like all the other children!

So explain it to them then! Explain why you'd rather they didn't eat all the artificial ingredients that are bad for them. Give them the healthiest start in life NOW so that they can make the CHOICE when they are older. Surely thats better than getting them hooked on 'bad' things now, only for them to have to be on a site like this trying to undo the damage you and they have done to their bodies.

Many children have allergies etc which mean they can't eat at parties. It's hard, but at least in this instance it's a CHOICE rather than a medical condition (like myself - celiac) which prevents you from even being allowed to make a choice about eating certain things.
  • futurekilousky
    Options
    I don't think this is extreme at all. How many obese children there are now? How much corn we consume now than ever before, that's extreme. Children look to their parents for guidance on life and why not set the healthiest example you can?

Yeah I guess they might be sad they can't get a piece of cake or candy, but they will move on.

Instilling healthy food guidelines is far more important than giving them what they "want".