Git yer Potassium Up!

Replies

• ercarta
    ercarta Posts: 74 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Blackstrap molasses, which I enjoy in my oatmeal, has 730mg per tablespoon, in the brand I prefer (. . . but it's an Evil Added Sugar, so others will tell you to avoid it ;) ).

Ok, so a quick look at what Amazon is peddling gets me half the mgs your brand has. Out with it @AnnPT77! 😜
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Despite becoming the poster child for potassium, there are a lot of other sources out there than just bananas, many of them higher in potassium.

Potatoes (sweet or white), beans, avocado, cooked spinach, beets, squash, and tomato sauce are some good ones to have.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Ooh beetroot is the bomb ! And can go really well with all sorts of food. Yum !
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,018 Member
    ercarta wrote: »
    Blackstrap molasses, which I enjoy in my oatmeal, has 730mg per tablespoon, in the brand I prefer (. . . but it's an Evil Added Sugar, so others will tell you to avoid it ;) ).

Ok, so a quick look at what Amazon is peddling gets me half the mgs your brand has. Out with it @AnnPT77! 😜

You're right: My bad.

I have to admit, I trusted the MFP DB entry for the mgs, which is a mistake . . . never double-checked because I'd eat it anyway (I like a bit of sweetness in my oatmeal, which is plain oats, not an instant packet). You're right, USDA says 300mg. (https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/45012638).

Wholesome brand is the best-tasting brand I've found, so far. Some just taste like burned sugar. For one tablespoon/20g, label says 8%DV for potassium (USDA 300mg), 10%DV calcium (100mg), 20%DV iron (3.6mg), 8%DV B6 (0.16mg), 10%DV Magnesium (0.15mg). To me, easily worth the 60 calories, overall.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I've discovered boiled potatoes, refrigerated and eaten cold and naked the following day or later. There's a great food, for me, making me full and come at a low calorie count. Every time I eat them, I notice my potassium consumption recorded in MFP skyrockets. Therefore, they must be high in potassium.
  • ercarta

You're right: My bad.

I have to admit, I trusted the MFP DB entry for the mgs, which is a mistake . . . never double-checked because I'd eat it anyway (I like a bit of sweetness in my oatmeal, which is plain oats, not an instant packet). You're right, USDA says 300mg. (https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/45012638).

Wholesome brand is the best-tasting brand I've found, so far. Some just taste like burned sugar. For one tablespoon/20g, label says 8%DV for potassium (USDA 300mg), 10%DV calcium (100mg), 20%DV iron (3.6mg), 8%DV B6 (0.16mg), 10%DV Magnesium (0.15mg). To me, easily worth the 60 calories, overall.

Ah, check it out. We both learned something today. Thanks for the feedback @AnnPT77. 😊👌🏼
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    MFPs, how do you get your recommended potassium daily? Only so many bananas a brother can eat. I've had varying degrees of success here, mostly not.

MyFitnessPal is recommending 3500mg daily. I average a third of that roughly. I also understand potassium offsets sodium to balance your electrolytes?

Hit me!

Eric

Google high potassium foods...there are a lot of better sources than bananas. potatoes and sweet potatoes are bomb for potassium.

Also, potassium isn't required on labels and since that is where most database entries are derived, that information would be missing.
  • ercarta
    edited April 2019
    I've discovered boiled potatoes, refrigerated and eaten cold and naked the following day or later. There's a great food, for me, making me full and come at a low calorie count. Every time I eat them, I notice my potassium consumption recorded in MFP skyrockets. Therefore, they must be high in potassium.

Potatoes seem to be high on everyone’s list. I’ve been avoiding them for years because they’re starchy and carb heavy. I may give them another look.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member

Thanks for the reminder!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2019
    Potatoes, coffee, dairy, any fruits and veg and generally whole plant-based foods.

I log at Cronometer which is more reliable for things like potassium (unless you are really careful at MFP) and find just getting in a good amount of veg a day tends to take care of it, but I really like veg.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I eat the yellow ones that I buy in a 5-lb. bag at Trader Joe's with 110 calories per potato according to the label. When I eat four of them, that's 440 calories and probably 440 calories that get me the fullest. It's all about fuel and full when working in the calories deficit zone. Need to go buy another 5-lbs. bag, I'm out.
  • ercarta
    Thanks @cwolfman13!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member

I thought I was the only weird one that like to eat cold potatoes :D
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    cathipa wrote: »

I thought I was the only weird one that like to eat cold potatoes :D

Cold steak and potatoes are one of my favorite things in life. :)
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    I'm actually over the new RDI (4700 mg) today, assuming I follow my planned meals exactly. Believe me, today is an anomaly; I'm more usually in the high 3000s. Here are my top potassium foods for the day, plus coffee and a gala apple with skin.a1fthqpmx06f.png
  • ercarta
    I'm actually over the new RDI (4700 mg) today, assuming I follow my planned meals exactly. Believe me, today is an anomaly; I'm more usually in the high 3000s. Here are my top potassium foods for the day, plus coffee and a gala apple with skin.a1fthqpmx06f.png

Good on you! 😊🤙🏼

Just screenshot that. Thanks!
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    BTW, that's 5 oz white potato, 1/2 cup cannellini beans, my weird personal smoothie concoction with frozen kale, spinach, and mashed sweet potato, 2 cups spinach, 1.5 cups strawberries (they're getting mushy), 1 small zucchini. The seasoning I used on the baked zucchini had nutritional yeast as the main ingredient, which is why the potassium level is so high.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you are concerned about your potassium based on your food diary, you can stop worrying. Potassium is not required on food labels, so it is missing from many/most MFP entries. If your doctor has told you that you need to increase potassium, you could ask for a referral to a registered dietician for guidance, based on the level of deficiency that needs to be corrected.
  • ercarta
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If you are concerned about your potassium based on your food diary, you can stop worrying. Potassium is not required on food labels, so it is missing from many/most MFP entries. If your doctor has told you that you need to increase potassium, you could ask for a referral to a registered dietician for guidance, based on the level of deficiency that needs to be corrected.

Why thank you! 😊