• Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    gv5wkplzpm63.jpg

one of these 1,000
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna put this here, and I don't fully endorse it as apparently having too much potassium is dangerous and getting potassium this way is too easy.

Artificial salt is pure potassium.

I use half salt for my daily salt intake. Half salt is half table salt and half potassium. Just using that to get your daily teaspoon of salt adds 1300 mg of potassium. The difference in flavour is negligible.

Not sure what product you're referring to when you talk about artificial salt, but if it were pure potassium -- well, it wouldn't be pure potassium anymore by the time you exposed it to air for a few seconds, because it would oxidize. And if you somehow managed to move it from a vacuum into your mouth before it could oxidize in the air, it would react with the water in the saliva in your mouth and literally burn you. Not just a sensation of burning, mind you, but actual flames.

If it were pure potassium, why would they call it artificial salt? Potassium isn't a salt. It's an element. I can't imagine that it would taste remotely like salt before it started burning your taste buds. Potassium chloride is a salt. But it's only a little more than half potassium.

This is a weird, loong response to semantics man. Obviously it's not explosive potassium, that kind of goes without saying.

The ingredient exists, it's a simple Google search away.

Ingredients include: SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CALCIUM SILICATE, MAGNESIUM CARBONATE, SUGAR, POTASSIUM IODIDE.

Most common one in the US is Morton Light. That's what I use in cooking and for table salt. Cuts my sodium intake in half and replaces it with potassium chloride.
  • gregc50
    gregc50 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Longshore wrote: »
    gv5wkplzpm63.jpg

one of these 1,000
    Sure I could take potassium tablets but that is not recommended.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    dukeingram wrote: »
    Drink apple cidar vinegar. It's all potassium.

11mg per tablespoon. You'd have to drink a lot.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I don't see a reason to switch at this time, but out of curiosity, is cooking with the potassium salt a thing and does it work like salt or no? (I assume no.) I never add salt to cooked food, but I learned long ago that adding a bit of salt when cooking intensifies flavors and while that sounds possibly questionable I do find it makes a huge difference.
  • gregc50
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    adding a bit of salt when cooking intensifies flavors and while that sounds possibly questionable
    Who questions salt/seasoning your food for cooking ! I can only imagine what Gordon Ramsay would say.

No idea about the potassium salt for cooking, sounds weird though, maybe just use less salt.

Isn't salt just an issue for the average person if you are not eating healthily? (Junk food/processed etc)

• sharondesfor935
    Options
    I don't see a reason to switch at this time, but out of curiosity, is cooking with the potassium salt a thing and does it work like salt or no? (I assume no.) I never add salt to cooked food, but I learned long ago that adding a bit of salt when cooking intensifies flavors and while that sounds possibly questionable I do find it makes a huge difference.

I have tried straight potassium chloride and find it unpalatable: too bitter and with an odd aftertaste.

I do cook with the 50/50 light salt blend as well as use it for my table salt, and can taste very little difference between it and regular iodized salt.

That said, I'm not a good cook (just now learning how at age 58 😱), and do not have an educated food palate. Serious cooks and serious foodies may not like the light salt.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    What is up with members here being obsesses with potassiun?
    Potassium is present in most fruits and veggies, and potassium is well regulated in our body. As long as your you don't have any underlying health problems causing you to loose potassium you shouldn't worry about.
  • gregc50
    Options
    Potassium is present in most fruits and veggies, and potassium is well regulated in our body. As long as your you don't have any underlying health problems causing you to loose potassium you shouldn't worry about.

Because the app says I don't eat enough fruits and veggies. My plate does not look like
    visual_en.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    gregcault wrote: »
    adding a bit of salt when cooking intensifies flavors and while that sounds possibly questionable
    Who questions salt/seasoning your food for cooking ! I can only imagine what Gordon Ramsay would say.

No idea about the potassium salt for cooking, sounds weird though, maybe just use less salt.

Isn't salt just an issue for the average person if you are not eating healthily? (Junk food/processed etc)

I'm often over recommended salt levels via foods like raw sauerkraut, kim chi, miso, cheese . . . certainly processed, but not what I'd consider "junk" or (outside of the salt ;) ) "unhealthy". I do like salt unnaturally much, though. (BP is fine, BTW.)
  • sharondesfor935
    edited April 2019
    Options

I obsess over everything, Daisy. In fact, I'm so OCD I use Cronometer in addition to MFP so I can track my nutrients down to the individual amino acids. In my defense, A) I'm a nerd and I adore numbers and spreadsheets and graphs, and B ) I'm in the process of transitioning to a 80%-ish plant-based diet. Coming from a lifetime meat/starch/fat/junk food background, I'm having to learn "everything nutrition" from the ground up. It's been fun, actually.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I have tried straight potassium chloride and find it unpalatable: too bitter and with an odd aftertaste.

I do cook with the 50/50 light salt blend as well as use it for my table salt, and can taste very little difference between it and regular iodized salt.

That said, I'm not a good cook (just now learning how at age 58 😱), and do not have an educated food palate. Serious cooks and serious foodies may not like the light salt.

I am a good cook; the difference in flavour is quite negligible with the half salt, other than the intensity of the saltiness isn't quite as strong, I'd say 80ish %. I'm sure it will bother someone, but calorie counting and maintaining nutrition is hard. Sometimes the concessions have to be made, and you do get used to them. This one is quite benign.

I buy pure potassium salt and mix it 50/50 with table salt, ends up being quite a bit cheaper.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna put this here, and I don't fully endorse it as apparently having too much potassium is dangerous and getting potassium this way is too easy.

Artificial salt is pure potassium.

I use half salt for my daily salt intake. Half salt is half table salt and half potassium. Just using that to get your daily teaspoon of salt adds 1300 mg of potassium. The difference in flavour is negligible.

Not sure what product you're referring to when you talk about artificial salt, but if it were pure potassium -- well, it wouldn't be pure potassium anymore by the time you exposed it to air for a few seconds, because it would oxidize. And if you somehow managed to move it from a vacuum into your mouth before it could oxidize in the air, it would react with the water in the saliva in your mouth and literally burn you. Not just a sensation of burning, mind you, but actual flames.

If it were pure potassium, why would they call it artificial salt? Potassium isn't a salt. It's an element. I can't imagine that it would taste remotely like salt before it started burning your taste buds. Potassium chloride is a salt. But it's only a little more than half potassium.

This is a weird, loong response to semantics man. Obviously it's not explosive potassium, that kind of goes without saying.

The ingredient exists, it's a simple Google search away.

Ingredients include: SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CALCIUM SILICATE, MAGNESIUM CARBONATE, SUGAR, POTASSIUM IODIDE.

You said "artificial salt is pure potassium." The first ingredient in the product you're talking about is salt (sodium chloride). So not only is it not pure (elemental) potassium, it's not even pure potassium chloride. That's not semantics. It's just facts.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Like I said, I'm not worried about it for myself or planning to buy potassium salt, just curious if the potassium salt was also used for cooking and how it compared.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

I obsess over everything, Daisy. In fact, I'm so OCD I use Cronometer in addition to MFP so I can track my nutrients down to the individual amino acids. In my defense, A) I'm a nerd and I adore numbers and spreadsheets and graphs, and B ) I'm in the process of transitioning to a 80%-ish plant-based diet. Coming from a lifetime meat/starch/fat/junk food background, I'm having to learn "everything nutrition" from the ground up. It's been fun, actually.

I love looking at all the nutrients on Cron too. It actually makes logging more fun.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I usually make or surpass the goal for potassium because I eat a lot of squash (even zucchini is high) and mushrooms, eggplant, and other random vegetables. From what I've read, potassium supplements are not the greatest solution, the RDA is too low, and despite doctors rarely mentioning it, potassium is important for many reasons, one big one being it can help keep blood pressure under control. I log for it using USDA entries when I am able to find them. I want to know I'm getting close at least. Just one quick overview: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-does-potassium-do#section7
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Here's a day where I got over 5000 mg in about 1400 cal

Seems the common theme I am missing the dubious tasting smoothies and root vegetables (other than potatoes which I switched to sweet tatties).

Still I got 3200mg today so I'm happy.

If you like avocados- half an avocado had 550mg!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Zinka61 wrote: »
    I usually make or surpass the goal for potassium because I eat a lot of squash (even zucchini is high) and mushrooms, eggplant, and other random vegetables. From what I've read, potassium supplements are not the greatest solution, the RDA is too low, and despite doctors rarely mentioning it, potassium is important for many reasons, one big one being it can help keep blood pressure under control. I log for it using USDA entries when I am able to find them. I want to know I'm getting close at least. Just one quick overview: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-does-potassium-do#section7

Sufficient potassium is one of the ideas behind the DASH diet, which is focused on blood pressure, as well as being just generally healthy (fiber is another one).

I find that when I eat lots of vegetables and a variety, which is my preference anyway, my potassium numbers are good.