" I ate 100 grams of sugar for a year"

Options

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would do a documentary of just eating ice cream over a period of time, but still staying in a calorie deficit. I feel like that would blow a lot of people's minds. Most people who have researched it think that CICO is too good to be true. I've tried to explain that you could eat straight lard all day and as long as you ate at a deficit you would still lose. You'd probably feel like absolute poo, but it's still fact.

Maybe you? Make a YouTube video about your results. Probably gets millions of views. You’ll be famous.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    The sugar is especially bad when you are eating excess carbs in total which is what drives up blood sugar. If you are eating in a deficit then its going to be hard to drive that blood sugar up too high given reasonable eating times, etc.

Is my run day favourite of a 118g bag of minstrels going to drive up my blood sugar? 2 or 3 times a week, usually after 9pm but generally in deficit, occasionally maintenance.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    elvirasen wrote: »
    Too bad he doesn’t mention how much calories he would lose training for his bodybuilding. His lifestyle and job allows him to eat that much sugar but don’t expect a normal 9-5 job to burn all those calories for you.

sugar is just a carb, I eat well over 100 carbs a day... usually 200+, on 1900 cals/day

Heck, I'm a li'l ol' lady (age 63, 5'5", weight mid-130s pounds), retired/sedentary (outside of intentional exercise) and have maintained my weight for nearly 3 years now eating over 200g carbs most days! (It was more like 150g for the year of weight loss before that, while losing 50ish lbs.)

Well-rounded nutrition is important for health, but carbs are not Da Debbil (absent a medical condition that requires managing them more closely, such as diabetes, of course).

What’s da debbil?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    elvirasen wrote: »
    Too bad he doesn’t mention how much calories he would lose training for his bodybuilding. His lifestyle and job allows him to eat that much sugar but don’t expect a normal 9-5 job to burn all those calories for you.

sugar is just a carb, I eat well over 100 carbs a day... usually 200+, on 1900 cals/day

Heck, I'm a li'l ol' lady (age 63, 5'5", weight mid-130s pounds), retired/sedentary (outside of intentional exercise) and have maintained my weight for nearly 3 years now eating over 200g carbs most days! (It was more like 150g for the year of weight loss before that, while losing 50ish lbs.)

Well-rounded nutrition is important for health, but carbs are not Da Debbil (absent a medical condition that requires managing them more closely, such as diabetes, of course).

What’s da debbil?

Nickname for "the devil".
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MPDean wrote: »
    The sugar is especially bad when you are eating excess carbs in total which is what drives up blood sugar. If you are eating in a deficit then its going to be hard to drive that blood sugar up too high given reasonable eating times, etc.

Is my run day favourite of a 118g bag of minstrels going to drive up my blood sugar? 2 or 3 times a week, usually after 9pm but generally in deficit, occasionally maintenance.

28g of sugar in a 42 g bag of Minstrels. Yum, Minstrels! Yep, I like those for a nice treat in the evening after a run.

Nobody should give advice about your blood sugar levels based on just what you've posted.
    See a doctor and get tests if you haven't for a while and you have concerns about your health.

You can check your weekly/daily sugar intake on the (iOS) app by going to:

Diary>
    Nutrition (at bottom)>
    Nutrients (top) >
    Week/Day view

Best wishes.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would do a documentary of just eating ice cream over a period of time, but still staying in a calorie deficit. I feel like that would blow a lot of people's minds. Most people who have researched it think that CICO is too good to be true. I've tried to explain that you could eat straight lard all day and as long as you ate at a deficit you would still lose. You'd probably feel like absolute poo, but it's still fact.
    My uncle told me he was on the “ice cream diet” a few years back. He lost weight having ice cream for 2 meals a day. No video of this. Just an anecdote of a crazy old man enjoying life. 😂
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »

Sugar intake does not cause high blood sugar. It is caused by health conditions such as diabetes, which are not caused by too much sugar. So unless a person has a pre-existing condition that requires them to monitor their sugar and carb intake, a person of normal health does not need to.

While you are stating this as a fact, actually there’s wide disagreement in the medical community about whether excess consumption of quick-digesting carbs such as sugar contributes to the development of diabetes. While no study has ever proven causation, multiple studies have found a strong correlation between a high consumption of added sugar and diabetes. The proposed mechanism is that overproduction of insulin due to excess sugar intake leads to insulin resistance, which is logical enough.

A healthy person can safely eat a lot more sugar than a diabetic can, for sure. But one in eight Americans are diabetic and one in four are pre-diabetic. I’m not a keto fan, but the idea that sugar is great stuff and you should ignore the recommendations of the FDA and just chow down on as much as you want since it can’t hurt you isn’t necessarily valid.

The FDA, and other governmental agencies, recommend limiting added sugar as part of a general diet to people who just eat until they are full. Because added sugar foods tend to be both nutritionally devoid as well as caloric and not that filling. So people who just eat to they are full will be more likely to overeat on a high added sugar diet.

But for calorie counters, you only need to limit added sugars if you find that eating them makes it hard to hit your goal. If you are able to comfortably manage your goals, then the amount of added sugar you consume is irrelevant.

I appreciate this is the case in the US but here in the UK, the equivalent recommendation is limiting added sugar to 30g per day once you are over 11 years of age, regardless of any other factor.