Losing weight too quickly?

Options
I went to the doctors on the 2nd and then went again on the 23rd and from that time period I went from 151 to 136. Should I be concerned or can it still be from having a baby 2 months ago? I’m eating about 1,500 calories a day and pretty sedentary besides chasing my 2 year old around and caring for my 2 month old. My height is 5’3.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    What did the doctor think?
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    What did the doctor think?

It’s my oncologist, she seemed shocked but didn’t really say anything.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctors on the 2nd and then went again on the 23rd and from that time period I went from 151 to 136. Should I be concerned or can it still be from having a baby 2 months ago? I’m eating about 1,500 calories a day and pretty sedentary besides chasing my 2 year old around and caring for my 2 month old. My height is 5’3.

Was that on the doctor's scale both times?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? If so, 1500cals per day isn't likely to be sufficient for you, breastfeeders typically need more calories.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? If so, 1500cals per day isn't likely to be sufficient for you, breastfeeders typically need more calories.
    No I’m not
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

Yes same scale
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    That is a big drop, even if some of it was water weight. I would imagine that perhaps you're not sedentary if you're chasing around a 2 year old, and I imagine there's things like general house cleaning, tidying up, etc that you do?
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    That is a big drop, even if some of it was water weight. I would imagine that perhaps you're not sedentary if you're chasing around a 2 year old, and I imagine there's things like general house cleaning, tidying up, etc that you do?

Yeah originally it has me set to 1,200, but I figured i probably burn 300 calories chasing my little one
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

Yes same scale

Same time of day, similar eating drinking beforehand, same clothes/shoes?

You might be losing faster than ideal . . . .
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think it could just be normal loss (water?) after having baby. I lost over a stone within 2 months both times after having my two kids. My littlest is 4 months old now and I’m back down to 117lb which is where I was before getting pregnant - it comes off quickly with me.
    But you prob don’t need to be so restrictive with your calories as you’re losing it so quickly!
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Normaly, health care providers would ask if the weight loss is intentional or not. If you tell them it's not, then it's when they start getting concern about it.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Based on my own experience post-pregnancy, it's not too fast. Every pregnancy is different and so is the weight loss afterward. I gained roughly the same with both pregnancies but with my first I lost nothing (not even the actual weight of baby+placenta) after giving birth and didn't lose much until about 3 months later when it started falling off. My second I lost almost all of the weight within the first 2 months.

How do you feel? Are you overtired? Feeling really hungry? If you don't feel good or healthy then it could be too fast for you. Listen to your body, especially with two little ones.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Normaly, health care providers would ask if the weight loss is intentional or not. If you tell them it's not, then it's when they start getting concern about it.

I told her I was trying to lose the baby weight and counting calories.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I seem to recall either thinking or mentioning that I thought you were over-doing your deficit for where you were post-partum. Your losses seem to indicate that too. Given everything that is going on in your life, is there a benefit to maintaining such an aggressive deficit during this somewhat hectic time?

ETA: too fast is based on you having dialed in a pretty low caloric intake and achieving weight losses that are in line to a large deficit.

I don’t think I’m overdoing my deficit. MFP has me set for 1200 and I’m eating 1500 sometimes more.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Based on my own experience post-pregnancy, it's not too fast. Every pregnancy is different and so is the weight loss afterward. I gained roughly the same with both pregnancies but with my first I lost nothing (not even the actual weight of baby+placenta) after giving birth and didn't lose much until about 3 months later when it started falling off. My second I lost almost all of the weight within the first 2 months.

How do you feel? Are you overtired? Feeling really hungry? If you don't feel good or healthy then it could be too fast for you. Listen to your body, especially with two little ones.

I’m always super tired, but that was even before I was dieting. I feel good and no I don’t feel hungry at all. I was at about 127 before pregnancy and after I was at 180, now I’m at 135
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I gained 55 lbs with my first pregnancy and was back to pre-pregnancy weight by my 6 week post-baby check up. I lost very quickly. I was 30 lbs down when I left the hospital 5 days postpartum (loads of water weight + baby). Then over the next 5 weeks I dropped 25lbs. I was breast feeding a baby that ate ALL day long and for some wonderfully strange reason, postpartum I craved fruits and veggies. I was still quite over weight so my Dr. was not concerned at all. This happened after my 2nd as well BUT NOT MY THIRD :(
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The reason I don't think it's a great idea to start cutting calories immediately after birth is that during the first few weeks after birth you're dropping water weight like crazy and you're going to drop that anyway.

So before week 4-6 you have no real way of knowing how much you will need to drop to remove stored energy reserves

A logical amount of calories for a person who is overworked and under rested tackling her kids soon after a
    new one has been born is about 500 calories (at most) aiming for a loss of about pound a week (at most) if they have to lose quite a bit once the water weight is gone. Otherwise -250 for half a lb a week might also be suitable.

MFP gives you 1200 based on YOUR inputs. Did you say you're sedentary? Did you dial in 1.5 or 2lbs a week?

As a mom of two including a newborn it is highly unlikely that you're anything below lightly active and you're probably active.

Let's arbitrarily exclude the first 30lbs.... how long has it taken you to go from 150 to 135?

You're now 7lbs from goal in less than ? months and continuing to aim for 1200 but eating 1500 or sometimes more.

And still losing at a rate of more than 2lbs a week. At 135 lbs.

And have health issues and are tired and two children with just yourself to care for them.

No reason to give yourself a break--right?:tired_face:

I put in my stats, and I put active. It still puts me at 1200.
    I didn’t start calorie cutting til about 5ish weeks postpartum. I went from 151 to 137 in a month.
    I’m currently at 135 now. I’d say it took me a month from 150-135.
    MFP puts my maintenance at 1560 calories, obviously it’s not right but I have no idea how much my maintenance is