Constipation due to high protein

Options
Looking for a good fiber to add to protein drinks to help with constipation? Any suggestions or recommendations? Not food. I’m a picky eater. Something to add to protein drinks would be easier for me. Thanks!

Replies

• SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee daily lol and salads occasionally. I’m not high on fat either. I started drinking casein protein (I love it!) at night but it constipates me. Just looking for the best solution. Didn’t know if Metamucil or some other fiber supplement was better than another.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Raysie1 wrote: »
    Have you gone low fat? That used to be a problem for me rather than a lack of fibre.

This ^

It's not just fiber. Fiber, fat, fluids and activity. All of those things help. Increasing your fiber by too much (too quickly) is uncomfortable.

There are 2 types of fiber. Oatmeal is my go to because it has both soluble & insoluble:
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/insoluble-soluble-fiber
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Metamucil will add fiber, of course, but you really really have to make sure you drink a sufficient amount of fluid, otherwise it will just make your situation worse.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Why not get it from the whole food, it’s fibre, and it can be had in abundance of fruits and veggies, you wouldn’t have to eat a lot of them to hit get your fibre up.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    constipation meds?

salads and coffee seem the better choice to me but whatever floats your boat

LOL!!!
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate your feedback. I drink tons of water a day (6-20oz bottles) so I don’t think fluid is a problem (that doesn’t count my coffee or more protein shakes I make). I’ll look into some of your ideas. Thank you again 😊
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Raysie1 wrote: »
    Have you gone low fat? That used to be a problem for me rather than a lack of fibre.

This ^

It's not just fiber. Fiber, fat, fluids and activity. All of those things help. Increasing your fiber by too much (too quickly) is uncomfortable.

There are 2 types of fiber. Oatmeal is my go to because it has both soluble & insoluble:
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Thirding this - people think it's always fiber, but it's not (I had bad consequences from increasing fiber when fiber wasn't the problem).

For people cutting calories, too-reduced fat can be the problem very often, because of over-restricting fats in order to drive down calorie intake. Be sure you're not doing that, as it has other potential negative long-term consequences (for fat-soluble vitamin absorption, cellular health, hormone balance, and more). It would be good to be eating a minimum of 0.35-0.45g of fat daily per pound of healthy goal weight.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    Options
    I’m averaging 50/55g fat per day. I’m not cutting calories. Working with weights for muscle growth.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I drink coffee daily lol and salads occasionally. I’m not high on fat either. I started drinking casein protein (I love it!) at night but it constipates me. Just looking for the best solution. Didn’t know if Metamucil or some other fiber supplement was better than another.

If you think that the particular product you are using is constipating you, you should stop using it and verify that it is the reason. Then determine if another similar product produces the same result.

There are plenty of ways to get protein. You shouldn't love something that constipates you (assuming it is the cause). That doesn't make sense.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    I’m averaging 50/55g fat per day. I’m not cutting calories. Working with weights for muscle growth.

Probably fiber as you suggest then, given what sounds like minimally adequate fat, maybe not many veggies (? all you mention is the salad, but that was in response to another post, so maybe that's wrong ?), and I'll assume you're getting adequate fluids.

Personally, I prefer foods to supplements (extra micros, usuaIly) so if you have the calories, I'd maybe suggest blending some tolerable fiber-rich veggie, fruit, grain or seed with the casein, like chia or flax seed, oatmeal, white beans (more neutral taste than others), raspberries or apples (with skin), prunes.

If you don't want to do that, psyllium husk could be a good choice to blend in.

I'd agree with the idea that it's a good idea to increase fiber gradually vs. a sudden big jump. I also feel some sympathy with Novus's comment about maybe trying another protein powder, if only as an experiment to see whether the issue is protein generally, or casein specifically.

Best wishes!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How much protein?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I also feel some sympathy with Novus's comment about maybe trying another protein powder, if only as an experiment to see whether the issue is protein generally, or casein specifically.

I think it is mean to say what I say more nicely.

But yes, this is what I meant.

Never said I wasn't mean, that I recall. ;)

Self awareness is good, right?
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    Options
    Thanks y’all. Lots of good information I’ve been given. I’ll look at the whole picture and see what I can get figured out. Thank you for you help.

I don’t eat a lot of fruits or vegetables (just my preference) or chicken like most people do (again just my preference). I’m 56 and trying to turn myself (physically) around. I exercise with free weights/weight machines appx 45mins a day plus an afternoon walk everyday. Looking at an average in my diary I’m getting maybe 10/15grams fiber per day. Fat 50/55gr per day. Protein 140/150gr per day. I do eat a lot of breads so carbs are always up (not over) but higher than most people. My main focus is muscle growth and strength.

Thanks again for y’all’s help
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Thanks y’all. Lots of good information I’ve been given. I’ll look at the whole picture and see what I can get figured out. Thank you for you help.

I don’t eat a lot of fruits or vegetables (just my preference) or chicken like most people do (again just my preference). I’m 56 and trying to turn myself (physically) around. I exercise with free weights/weight machines appx 45mins a day plus an afternoon walk everyday. Looking at an average in my diary I’m getting maybe 10/15grams fiber per day. Fat 50/55gr per day. Protein 140/150gr per day. I do eat a lot of breads so carbs are always up (not over) but higher than most people. My main focus is muscle growth and strength.

Thanks again for y’all’s help

The bolded is most likely your problem, not protein intake.
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Dude - I had same thing, for same reasons. Someone on MFP recommended a probiotic yoghurt every day and that sorted it right out.

Good luck
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruit. Apples pears & papaya. This solved my constipation issues. :)