Plantar Fasciitis- Anyone else in the same situation

Options
2»

Replies

• Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Mine has recently returned as my running miles have increased. *sigh*

I would make sure you get fitted for the proper shoes for your workouts. Insoles can help but make sure the shoes are good too.

I have also heard the golf ball trick (roll your foot around on it) but I had heard it was with a tennis ball...so pick a ball.

For me, it only hurts first thing in the morning until I walk around for a minute or so. I still run with it. If it started hurting more I'd probably do something different.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I used to have PF - luckily weight loss and regular activity made it go away.

Not sure where you got your insoles or if you had any guidance but I'd suggest going to a good athletic/running store with staff who are actually trained in knowing how to get the perfect fit for your feet and your stride.

Don't just wear good supportive shoes when you're working out, wear them as much as you can. If you're wearing heels a lot, try wearing flatter shoes with as much support as you can get. They might not be super cute but if you want to continue being active, you need to take care of your body first.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have it too - bought orthodics from the podiatrist - hard kind - best $350 ever spent!
  • KristiMW72
    KristiMW72 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have it too....terrible pain. Mine hurts worst in the morning & after working out. My doc gave me a **** of Ketalog(sp?)...anyway the **** hurt like hell!!! Given right in the arch of my feet!! It did help though - immensely!! And I did the towel stretches & frozen water bottle rolls too!! Good luck....it certainly isn't fun.
  • rhodesar
    rhodesar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to have it too. Had to buy some decent everyday shoes (no high heels) and would put inserts into my shoes. Also stretches as mentioned before. When I bought running shoes I went to a proper shop where they video your run style and recommend specific inserts and what shoes to get. Mines gone now, so it can get better!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I struggled with it for over a year. I have been pain free for 6+ months

The suggestions here are all spot on. You need to be disiplined and do the stretches, ice, massage every day.

Loose weight and get fitted for quality running shoes
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have been battling PF for over a year. Rolling on a golf ball helps, or a frozen water bottle.... also, keep your calf muscle/Achilles tendon loose and flexible.

Recently, I bought a night splint and heel inserts (they're called heel seats) from Heel-That-Pain.com. I have had NO pain since I started sleeping with the splint and wearing the inserts in my every day shoes.

I don't recommend cortisone shots; most of the time they don't work, only work temporarily, or can cause other issues down the line.

Best of luck!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I used to have this for a couple of years. Once I purchased a comfortable pair of good fitting well-cushioned shoes, it went away. I have spurs on my heels, but I haven't had heel pain in years, and I am severely obese. It's all about wearing good shoes. Merrells were the brand that worked for me. You may have to find your own. I didn't need inserts either.
  • kikiallain
    kikiallain Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all those wonderful tips! My sneakers are good sneakers that were ordered through my podiatrist and the insoles are the hard ones so i'm bang on with that!! I'll look up the splints but the frozen bottle or tennis/golf ball trick is great cause i can do that sitting at my desk at work!! And yes.. I do need to be better disciplined for my stretches!! I just have that type of body that needs to be really active in order to loose any kind of weight. SO it's funny that loosing weight will help with PF but yet my doctor was telling me to reduce my workouts!! But i will try all these great tips and it's nice to see that i'm not the only one going through this!!