Eating White Rice For Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with pizza? A nice crust, lots of veggies on top, fresh tomatoes and proper buffalo mozarella (or American cheese if you really prefer it). Nothing wrong. Nothing wrong with rice either.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    dukeingram wrote: »
    Eating whatever you want is not a good idea. All calories are not equal. You can eat a pizza with 1000 calories and feel like crap or eat protein waffles with 1000 calories and feel great. It takes more than just a calorie deficit to lose weight. You have to keep the body healthy to have the energy and mindset to lose weight.

Why would I eat 1000 calories of pizza in the first place? 2 veggie slices come it at about half that. And then I could have protein waffles for dessert if I wanted them. Though I'd probably opt for a side salad and have some roasted chickpeas or dry cereal later in the day as a snack?

I mean when I eat pizza I usually eat 2000 calories plus. It's one of the few foods I can't control myself on. By that is my issue, not pizzas, and I don't blame it for my baggage. But even with my love of overeating pizza, I can still fit it in on occasion. I diet to live, not live to diet, and having things I enjoy keeps me sane and on track, even if I am a few calories over on that specific day.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Eating whatever you want is not a good idea. All calories are not equal. You can eat a pizza with 1000 calories and feel like crap or eat protein waffles with 1000 calories and feel great. It takes more than just a calorie deficit to lose weight. You have to keep the body healthy to have the energy and mindset to lose weight.

...or I could eat a pizza with 1000 calories and feel great, because pizza contains all the macronutrients plus vegetables and tastes delicious. And I could eat protein waffles with 1000 calories and feel like crap, because the taste is 'off' and artificial and it's stodgy and lacking in carbs, fats and micronutrients.

Can you explain exactly why you think it should be the other way around?

1000 calories of pizza does sound infinitely more enjoyable than 1000 calories of protein waffles.

Well, quite!

Though most of the time I have pizza, it's actually closer to 400 calories; I make my own, with a spicy vegetable topping, light on the cheese.

I really want to know what makes homemade sourdough bread with red pepper, onion, mushrooms and cheese somehow less healthy than a pile of protein waffles.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Only skimmed through the comments, so apologize if these thoughts are repeats (there just seemed to be a lot of stuff about pizza and waffles in there ;) ).

One caution about the rice- any rice- is that it does tend to be rather calorie intensive, so a person trying to lose weight and perhaps with a smaller calorie deficit would want to make sure they are measuring it accurately (dry, by weight), especially if it is something they have frequently.

My other thought is about those who have commented favoring potatoes over rice. Is it really an either/or situation? I typically have rice with stir fries and as a component of certain soups and casseroles. I love potatoes, but would not want them with my veggie stir fry or in my wild rice soup. ;)
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    someone sure went woo happy
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Simply put, yes - you can eat white rice and still lose weight :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    HI,

I was wondering is white rice ok to eat to lose weight ? I am eating 100 grams at lunch and dinner , oatmeal and a banana for breakfast ,

thanks

Perfectly fine. As long as you are in an energy deficit...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

Why would I eat 1000 calories of pizza in the first place? 2 veggie slices come it at about half that. And then I could have protein waffles for dessert if I wanted them. Though I'd probably opt for a side salad and have some roasted chickpeas or dry cereal later in the day as a snack?

I mean when I eat pizza I usually eat 2000 calories plus. It's one of the few foods I can't control myself on. By that is my issue, not pizzas, and I don't blame it for my baggage. But even with my love of overeating pizza, I can still fit it in on occasion. I diet to live, not live to diet, and having things I enjoy keeps me sane and on track, even if I am a few calories over on that specific day.

Fair enough. I'm a short woman who'll be maintaining on around 1550-1600 calories before exercise when I hit goal. Two slices are usually enough for me.