• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    bump
  • quiksylver296
    bump
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I'm getting picky about scales now that I've been using them so much. I got a new scale with a pull-out display for Christmas, which I love, but at the same time it's just not as good as my other scale. It does a 3-second countdown before turning on which is slower, and it's not as sensitive to very light things like 2g of butter or something. It's like when you're at the grocery store self-checkout and you have to whack the scale to get it to register that you indeed put the light item in the bagging area.
  • quiksylver296
    I'm getting picky about scales now that I've been using them so much. I got a new scale with a pull-out display for Christmas, which I love, but at the same time it's just not as good as my other scale. It does a 3-second countdown before turning on which is slower, and it's not as sensitive to very light things like 2g of butter or something. It's like when you're at the grocery store self-checkout and you have to whack the scale to get it to register that you indeed put the light item in the bagging area.

Good to know. I only have had one scale the entire time, and I've been debating getting another.
  • RelCanonical

Good to know. I only have had one scale the entire time, and I've been debating getting another.

I feel like I have the most trouble with the ones that are "flat" against the base of the scale. The ones that have a glass plate that sit away from the base seem to do better with accuracy.
  • quiksylver296
    Bump
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    My scale got wet and after it dried it will only weigh in grams. I've been thinking of getting a small mobile scale for travel (I travel for work a LOT) but I would feel strange whipping it out at restaurants etc. Does anyone do that?
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    shunggie wrote: »
    My scale got wet and after it dried it will only weigh in grams. I've been thinking of getting a small mobile scale for travel (I travel for work a LOT) but I would feel strange whipping it out at restaurants etc. Does anyone do that?

I have before and it definitely feels weird lol. People look at me like I’m nuts and the people I’m with think I’m going overboard. But screw what anyone else thinks if it gives you peace of mind!
  • quiksylver296
    Bump
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

Is this the XOX? I have two, one for home and one for at Mom's - the older model is fine with 2 g of butter and shuts on and off easily. The one I bought last year has the same issues you mentioned AND it goes through batteries every 6 weeks.
  • RelCanonical
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Is this the XOX? I have two, one for home and one for at Mom's - the older model is fine with 2 g of butter and shuts on and off easily. The one I bought last year has the same issues you mentioned AND it goes through batteries every 6 weeks.

It is! It has also already drained through batteries twice. I think with my other scale, I only changed the batteries ONCE in over a year with daily use.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I had an old mechanical scale for baking that I used for a bit, but when I needed an accurate way to get my grams measured, I grabbed this at Target: https://www.target.com/p/taylor-digital-11lb-glass-top-food-scale-black/-/A-49178540

It's turned out to be really great. I tried another, fancier one after I got it wet and it went a bit nuts one day, but turns out that scales really do vary (like the new one, when you used the buttons, it was on the weighing surface so it activated the readout which I found irrationally irritating) and luckily my trusty old Target one dried out and is still going strong.
  • quiksylver296
    Bump.