Keto diet

Options
Anybody out there doing the keto diet? I’m struggling to loose weight. I’m going to the gym as well. Help!

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 41,077 Member
    Options
    I am a Keto'er and I also do IF (Intermittent fasting)
  • razzler89
    razzler89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    just started Keto on April 14th and in 16 days, I've lost 17 lbs which seems insane to me! I'm also doing a 4:3 style of intermittent fasting along with it, so I'm sure it's just the beginning water weight but I'm super motivated for what the future holds. I did a ton of online research, grocery shopped for specialty KETO items and use Pinterest like crazy to make recipes that will not get boring and my family will enjoy! Good Luck!
  • sat4420
    sat4420 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started my 8th week of Keto and I’m down almost 30 pounds and two pant sizes. The first two weeks were a bit difficult as my body switched from burning carbs to fat, but since then I feel great! Before starting Keto, I had a MAJOR sweet tooth, but now all of my cravings are gone. I don’t go to the gym, but I walk 30 - 60 minutes four times a week. I also do 20-4 Intermittent fasting six days a week. I hope you find great success!
  • catherine0298jones
    catherine0298jones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Keto as well!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    but are you in a calorie deficit? that is what you need to lose weight - not keto or exercise.

Keto in and of itself helps to create a calorie deficit for many people because fat is satiating, thus making the person feel fuller between meals, skipping snacks, and sometimes even skipping meals. I'm up at 5am and don't eat until after 11am most days because I'm just not hungry.

Some people find this to be true, and I say try keto if interested, but not everyone does. I don't feel any more sated on keto than not (and I never snack and can skip breakfast no problem if I want). I think on average protein is the most sating macro.

Agreed...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Anybody out there doing the keto diet? I’m struggling to loose weight. I’m going to the gym as well. Help!

What makes you lose weight is a calorie deficit. Keto works for some people because the lower carbs and higher fat makes it easier for them to be in a calorie deficit, sometimes without having to actually count the calories.

If you haven't been watching your calories, start doing that and make sure you are in a deficit. The other possibility is that you are experiencing some of the really common logging errors that many people run into. Double check that the entries you are using in the database have the correct calories and carbs (many are user entered incorrectly), use a food scale whenever possible, and make sure you are logging everything and honestly.

Good luck!
  • xenzelda
    xenzelda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto & intermittent fasting and it’s amazing. I’ve lost 4.7 lbs so far. You should do it but you have to be consistent and honest with your self and work out
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to get too many calories with a keto diet, especially going overboard with fat bombs. Keep in mind the calories per gram for each macro 😉. You still have to watch the calories. *It's not a diet that was created for weight loss.

Not everyone finds eating mass amounts of fat satiating. Make sure you keep an eye on cholesterol as well. I don't know anyone still doing the diet because their cholesterol spiked and their doctors recommended they change to a more balanced diet.

Personally, I do better with more carbs and some days more protein. I also get a healthy amount of fats. Well rounded diet with calories controlled.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It's very easy to get too many calories with a keto diet, especially going overboard with fat bombs. Keep in mind the calories per gram for each macro 😉. You still have to watch the calories. *It's not a diet that was created for weight loss.

Not everyone finds eating mass amounts of fat satiating. Make sure you keep an eye on cholesterol as well. I don't know anyone still doing the diet because their cholesterol spiked and their doctors recommended they change to a more balanced diet.

Personally, I do better with more carbs and some days more protein. I also get a healthy amount of fats. Well rounded diet with calories controlled.

I would be careful making general statement like this as the idea that dietary cholesterol has an affect on overall blood cholesterol and in turn things like Heart Disease, has long been debunked. With the general exception of those with hereditary cholesterol problems, dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on blood cholesterol.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dietary-cholesterol-does-not-matter

And just in case you want something a little more "science-y"

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/cholesterol/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I interpreted the poster to be saying to keep an eye on your bodily cholesterol, not cholesterol in the diet. The source you cite agrees with the general understanding that excessive sat fat in the diet has negative effects on bodily cholesterol: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/types-of-fat/
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I would be careful making general statement like this as the idea that dietary cholesterol has an affect on overall blood cholesterol and in turn things like Heart Disease, has long been debunked. With the general exception of those with hereditary cholesterol problems, dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on blood cholesterol.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dietary-cholesterol-does-not-matter

And just in case you want something a little more "science-y"

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/cholesterol/

Perhaps read the entire paragraph 😉 You might notice I said it was their doctors concerned with cholesterol levels 😉

😉