How do people gain weight back?

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Some people don't make a maintenance plan at all.

I have one... in theory. I am sure I will have to make adjustments when I get closer.

• SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    SeanD2407 wrote: »
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    OP, I'm going to assume that you've never had to maintain a significant weight loss, long term. Because weight loss is the easy part, it's maintenance that's a *kitten*.

The thing about habits is that they're very ingrained into your life and once the motivation of the short weight loss period ends, it's very easy for those bad habits to creep back in, without you even realizing it. Maintenance is such a mind game and has a lot of challenges, (along with triumphs).

Most people fail at weight loss adherence within 2 years, and the success rate is dismal beyond the 5 year mark. Like I said-maintenance can be a *kitten* :p

I get that but my thing is Lets say "Frank" goes from a size 42 waist down to a 32. Wouldn't they be self aware that they are in the wrong direction if say a size 36 suddenly gets too tight? I know years is a lot of time in retrospect but i have a hard time grasping how they get up to a size 44 again before realizing they need to get back on track again?

Don't you think that "Frank" was aware that he was overweight when he first went up through the sizes, with each size getting too small, until he reached size 42 the first time around? Why do you think there is something special about supposedly being in maintenance (although many people who reach a weight loss goal think of it as "done" and don't have the same goal-minded approach to maintenance) that would make people more likely to take and stick with the actions needed to lose any weight they "re-gain" as opposed to taking and sticking with the necessary actions during the initial gain? There are plenty of overweight and obese people around. Do you think they aren't self-aware?

I'm taking you at your word that your postings are coming from a place of anxiety about your own ability to maintain when you reach your goal, but the way you phrase your posts by speaking about other people, they can easily come across as judging the character of people who regain weight. I think for any of us who have ever allowed ourselves to become overweight at one time, compassion, if not self-awareness of the potential hypocrisy, should lead us away from suggesting that people who regain weight are exhibiting some kind of moral or character flaw.

The difference is "Frank" now knows what it takes to lose where as the first time he may not have. My logic is why he wouldn't ho back to what he learned sooner in the process.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It’s really simple to understand. Eating too much. Life happens, and there are as many reasons as there are people, of how they “let” it happen after all the hard work they put in.
    It happens to over 80% of the people who lose weight, so it’s not unusual.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons I wonder if maintaining a small deficit during the week to eat more on the weekend might be a good idea for me. It is what I do now anyway and it keeps me from ever getting out of this mode completely. I don't know until I get there and try it though (assuming that is still my plan).

That's exactly what I do, and I've been able to maintain for several years. Slight deficit during the week so I can go a little over maintenance calories on the weekend. I maintain in exactly the same way I lost weight, just with a few hundred extra calories available to me. That's been the key for me...nothing much changed when I hit my goal weight.

The only pitfall I see with me is that on weeks I don't earn enough calories for a full day at maintenance I still take it because I don't usually care if it slows my loss by a little. I have more than a year to go before I have to worry about it but I have seen enough people regain that I will not back-burner at least some contemplation even now. Much will happen in the next year though with my rate of loss falling and getting even more active.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    SeanD2407 wrote: »
    I appreciate all the feedback. BTW im by no means throwing shade at people for not sticking to their weight management. Im just trying to prepare myself mentally by learning from mistakes that other people make. I only had about 50 to lose and have done fairly good of keeping it below a certain point the past 2 years. Also being in a deficit constantly makes me more conscious of what I am taking in.. I just know after goung down several sizes I never want to let myself go up.. so I'll have awareness.. but maybe I have to see myself 3 or 4 years from now.. im still in late 20s so not a whole lot of life experience

All the people who regained weight probably thought that too.

QFT, I'm one of them.

Adding, I've been in maintenance for a year now after losing about 50 pounds. I'm no longer "terrified" of re-gaining as so many of us are after reaching our goal, but I'm well aware that the focus I'm putting into maintaining right now could easly be switched to self-medicating with food if/when an emotional crisis happens. I've had a couple of mini-episodes, and with all my attempts to stratagize around the possibility, I truly don't know what would happen in an ongoing situation.