Terrorising Gelatissimo

Options
Just had to share this with everyone. So I think I may have traumatised a server at Gelatissimo last night.... Back story is that my hubby and I went out last night to see Avengers and we'd planned it so that we had plenty of time to have dinner first. After our meal we still had a little bit of time left so hubby suggests we go for a short walk and as we pass Gelatissimo asks me if I feel like some.

Now I rarely do feel like ice cream, but he must have been tuned in to something because I responded with yes, actually, I could really go a little bit of gelato right now.

Knowing that what I really mean is that I want a spoonful of gelato that I can lick slowly and maybe abandon halfway through he spies the smallest cups and says "look, they have tiny ones". Oooooo...! And Boysenberry flavour! I'm sold.

These cups are maybe 50ml. Not teeny but small, and I'm thinking that maybe they're for samples and I'll have to ask especially for one. Not so! As we're standing there waiting we watch them prep one for another customer and they CRAM them full of gelato and pile them high above the rim like something from a demented sci fi movie.

Omg.

Hubby hears my internal gibbering and says "I'm sure you can ask for one that's just full to the rim." So I do. And he clarifies further for the server. OK, no problem, they can do that.

So I watch in horror as they stuff this little cup full and with maybe 4cm of gelato piled on top of it she asks me if that's enough. Uh... No.... Please scoop it off at rim level. "Like this?" Uh.... No... RIM level. She's starting to freak out. I'm making chopping motions with my hands.

I finally accepted the cup with a little less than a cm of gelato hanging over the top of it. The server was really weirded out, I don't know if they get told off for not filling those cups high enough but she was really uncomfortable with it. People probably do complain, and they wonder why there's an obesity epidemic.

Gelato was lovely, VERY sweet. I actually ate most of it. Should hold me off for the next six months. 😊

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,601 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I don't know why people are getting on the OP. She tried to get the portion size she knew she could deal with, and when she couldn't, ate more than she'd planned AND had a good sense of humor about it all.

I also don't believe she set out to terrorize the worker.

I get it. Some people don't have the self control to share (or are alone) or not eat it all. When I first started getting cones at McDonalds (seriously love their ice cream for some reason) and saw how much ice cream they put in it, I asked if that was a machine thing or if could they stop it when they wanted. Got my answer so then asked if they would give me maybe half as much ice cream as they normally would the next time I got one. Some servers would still go a little overboard tho.

I stopped into a new frozen yogurt shop where you couldn't serve yourself and asked if they weighed the portions and then asked if it was possible not to get the full amount they normally serve.

When counting calories, you do what you have to to stay on track and try not to be psycho about it in the process. :)

I think the problem with the OP is that after asking for the smaller amount and realizing that the server didn't understand or was just not trained to do what was asked, she kept pushing so that the server was subject to public embarrassment. It sounds like you asked for what you wanted, most of the time got it, and when you didn't just went with the flow.

LOL maybe it was the chopping motions.

And I make myself look better online. :) I did loudly exclaim, "Aughhhhh" with the overboard servers.

Hmmmmm I've never had gelato. I usually stick to frozen yogurt and the halo top/enlightened ice creams.