Reasonable Goals

Options
I see a lot of people on here that either have no true goal at all, just "Lose weight" or have completely unreasonable goals, like "I am at 160, and I want to lose like 35 lbs before my cruise in 2 months".

Let me hit on the first one: If you don't have a set goal, it is SOOOO easy to stop caring. You have to envision what you want, or you aren't gonna make it there. Like the Toby Keith song says: "If you don't know where you're goin', you might end up somewhere else"

As far as the unreasonable goals are concerned:

If you are within a NORMAL healthy body fat range, do not expect to lose 2 and 3 lbs a week. Its not going to happen! Your body is hardwired to store small amounts of fat, and you have to take it slow to lose that fat. Cutting too many calories will actually slow that process down. Set a reasonable expectation of weight loss, like .5lbs - 1lb per week.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment! There is nothing more demotivating than a stall from cutting calories too hard and working your butt off for little to no loss, and then missing a goal. Eat right, work hard, and it will come off in time.

Just my view.

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    you get a gold star. :bigsmile:
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Quite right.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    100% agreed
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    This hit me like a ton of bricks last night. Sucks, but hey...it's life. More important goals out there in the meantime while I take off the weight.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    +1
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    nicely stated.

now can you please remove the smiley face from your pic?
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    very true:)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you are within a NORMAL healthy body fat range, do not expect to lose 2 and 3 lbs a week. Its not going to happen! Your body is hardwired to store small amounts of fat, and you have to take it slow to lose that fat. Cutting too many calories will actually slow that process down. Set a reasonable expectation of weight loss, like .5lbs - 1lb per week.

THIS! THIS! THIS! I see soooooo many people with 20lbs to lose trying for 2lbs per week. Yeah, I'd like to reach a perfect body in 5 weeks too but it ain't going to happen.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I agree, but I think a lot of people have a "goal" weight because it's a place to start. At least, that's what I did at first. I've since added in a BF% goal, and none of my goals are set in stone other than I want to be healthier and fit into my clothing better.

edited for typo :blushing:
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Great words of advice! Thanks!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    But I want to look hot for my cruise next month..
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I object!!!
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    But I want to be skinny NOW!!! *whine whine* :wink:

For real..all of that is spot on..you done good boy!!! :tongue:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Preach that truth! :smokin:
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Finally someone that makes sense on the threads today.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My goal is I don't want to die.
    I know its a bit vague, but truthfully, I don't know how to set a reasonable goal. I just picked a number, and it is working for me.
  • Dee120hb
    Dee120hb Posts: 24
    Options
    To each , their own
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Aww nutbutter! I wanted to be 120 by next month. Ah well, a goal for next year I guess. lol

Thanks for posting this!! :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My goal is I don't want to die.
    I know its a bit vague, but truthfully, I don't know how to set a reasonable goal. I just picked a number, and it is working for me.

I'm kind of in this boat...I don't know EXACTLY how low I need to go...so for now I'm going with the idea of 165lbs, but I won't know exactly how good that weight is on me until I get there! I could forsee having to strive for 160lbs though.