Intense workouts to outrun the fork

I have heard forever you “can’t outrun the fork”

However... I know there are a few people that DO!

So those that either have maintained or some how lost weight- while still splurging on weekends- can you tell me your general caloric intake and what you did to offset weekend splurges?

I’m talking like a night out with pizza and 1-2 beers. 1-2 x a week or even at home but like a home made pot pie with dessert lol.

I don’t want to hear from those that say it’s not possible. I know it’s RARE but I am curious how MUCH exercise is needed. And if any people do intense workouts that don’t include actual running too....

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I suppose this could describe my situation. I maintain at a decent calorie intake, I don't know the exact numbers but when I was much lighter it was around 2800 cals. Probably more now since I'm heavier and more active generally.

I don't spend too much time in the gym, lifting 4x per week, a little cardio 2x per week. But I am very active so my NEAT is pretty high.

In a deficit I calorie cycle or bank my calories during the week so I'm able to eat a lot on weekends, I don't have to track my calories and can essentially eat "whatever I want" those days. I do restrict a bit during the week to save. But to be honest it's not bad considering how I don't have to slave away in the gym doing crazy cardio.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    When I was erging 3-4 times a week and rowing on the water once a week it was totally doable. That said, those workouts frequently involved burning over 600 calories.

Regardless, I have never and probably will never cut out things like cake, burgers, and [hard] cider from my diet. At least not for weight related reasons. I count calories and fit things in. Sometimes it's easier to do that than others in large part because sometimes I'll simply have more calories to eat back than other times.

I don't "splurge on the weekends" either mind you. Yesterday is maybe the closest I've come to that in a while as I had a (pre) birthday dinner, but even then I banked calorie and by my fairly unexact estimates came in slightly under my calorie allotment for the day.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Well, you really can't out exercise a bad diet, but there are ways to maximize volume of food consumed whilst still hitting caloric goals by choosing low kcal high volume foods (0% greek yogurt, egg whites, lean meat, potatoes, greens, etc.)
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited May 2019
    Of course everyone's different so you have to use rough numbers and give examples to illustrate the point.

To overcome a 500cal/d surplus introduced by a poor diet, and introduce the 500cal/d deficit required to achieve a 1lb per week loss would require exercising off 1000cal/d which would be roughly a 1-1.5hour run per day as an example.

But as you said (and I also said in my post) you won't want to exercise like that everyday without recovery so if you drop it down to 4 days a week that compresses the weekly calorie burn requirement to 1750cal/d which makes those 4 run (or swim or cycling) sessions closer to a 2-2.5 hours.

So, how long (time wise) was that 950cal ride? How long will the 1500cal ride be? An hour and an hour and a half? So roughly 1000cals per hour as I suggested (only cycling instead of running)?
    When are you going to do the rides to make up the other 4550cals to achieve the 7000 calorie burn required in this scenario?
    Are you really saying you completed these rides without any additional fuelling? That you're eating the same amount of food as you would if you didn't ride at all? Didn't fuel on the bike? Didn't have extra food before or after the ride? I cycle too and I'm sorry, I don't buy that for a minute.