So Tired...

Options
I need some help. I have seen great success using MFP and CICO -- down 40 lbs (well, close, 39 lbs) but I'm tired of always having to think about calories. I feel like I am thinking about food 24/7; planning the next day's meals, prepping dinners for the week, going to the gym and calculating how many calories I really burned (as opposed to how many MFP or the machine say -- gotta love hr monitors) and, for the most part, I enjoy it, I like being goal oriented and, since I LOVE food, this is something I usually like but I really want to relax some times. I want to go out with friends and just have a drink and nibble on the appetizer without trying to break down the ingredients and log it. I want to make my son'ts favorite dinner and just eat it because it tastes good not because it is the right number of calories. I want to grab a burger and a beer with my husband but not blow goals out of the water (or have to run an extra 5 miles that day). I'm not worried about completely losing motivation I'm just tired, plain and simple. Any suggestions?

Replies

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I get that calorie weariness too. I also do the diet bresk sort of thing but I probably don't do it right.

What usually happens is I start wishing I could just eat and not weigh, count or log. Sometimes I also get a craving for some particular thing. So I just get that thing and eat some. Then I stop logging for a week, but still mostly eat the way I have become used to while losing. I don't go crazy, but I might have a nice restaurant meal that would be hard to log, or too high calorie for my usual budget. After that week I go back to logging, refreshed. I find that I gain maybe one pound which goes away quickly and my weight loss mojo is restored.
  • jeannedobson
    jeannedobson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Okay, I can do a break. I just don't want to go crazy -- I guess my concern is that I step off this train and it will be too hard to get back on.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Okay, I can do a break. I just don't want to go crazy -- I guess my concern is that I step off this train and it will be too hard to get back on.

I get it. That's my concern too. I've included cheat days before, and it snowballs for me, so I've been very strict recently. It's tough, but I'm terrified if I give myself leeway, I'll do what I always do (give me an inch and I'll take a mile)
  • sarajean1976
    sarajean1976 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I have lost close to 60lbs since August and have about 60 to go. I have done one diet break around Christmas....I should actually look at another planned break over the summer. I found that because I thought it over beforehand and created a plan for the break and chose a date to get back on track that it was easier for me to do so.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

That is where the real test begins. There is nothing wrong with slacking a little here and there - the key is making sure you get right back on track, and that you aren't turning a small break into something more permanent. I have faith you will be just fine. (:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

So why not take a two week "break" where you plan to eat about up to your maintenance calories, and log casually. Eyeball portion sizes, best guess on specifics. No pressure to get it 100% right. That way, you don't lose the habit of logging, but you don't have the stress of logging accurately. Not sure as it really depends on your personality, but maybe that would help without risking going off the rails.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    By all means use this post as your motivation to get back on it ... tell us the dates you are taking a break and we will hassle you if you don’t get back on it on the agreed end date. Team work 💪
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I need some help. I have seen great success using MFP and CICO -- down 40 lbs (well, close, 39 lbs) but I'm tired of always having to think about calories. I feel like I am thinking about food 24/7; planning the next day's meals, prepping dinners for the week, going to the gym and calculating how many calories I really burned (as opposed to how many MFP or the machine say -- gotta love hr monitors) and, for the most part, I enjoy it, I like being goal oriented and, since I LOVE food, this is something I usually like but I really want to relax some times. I want to go out with friends and just have a drink and nibble on the appetizer without trying to break down the ingredients and log it. I want to make my son'ts favorite dinner and just eat it because it tastes good not because it is the right number of calories. I want to grab a burger and a beer with my husband but not blow goals out of the water (or have to run an extra 5 miles that day). I'm not worried about completely losing motivation I'm just tired, plain and simple. Any suggestions?
    1. How quickly did you lose the weight?
    2. How much weight do you have left to lose?
    3. What is your weekly weight loss goal set to?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'll reiterate the sentiment of implementing a diet break. Just as you need a study break, budget break, etc. you need to give yourself a bit of slack to survive in the long term.

I've been at this 4 years and take managed breaks alongside moments of conflicting priorities, so I don't track over holidays, but I do look back at these times and keep tabs on my habits and behaviors. Look at this in terms of establishing habits which lead to fulfilling a cycle of success - a positive feedback loop.

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    @jeannedobson, how close are you to your ideal weight range destination?
  • jeannedobson
    jeannedobson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @jeannedobson, how close are you to your ideal weight range destination?

I have another 20 to go and I'll be in my goal range, loosing 1-1.5 a week