Need core excercise suggestion

Options
lilyginger2
lilyginger2 Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi there, I am trying to loose weight and get in better shape. I have rheumatoid arthritis and joint troubles so no to low impact is best for me. I have created a strenght workout for myself but it beeds allot more core built into it . I plan to do the workout 3 times a week, rowing 5 days of the week. Rowing longer on the non strenght days.

For my strenght, I have been rowing 2k plus the items listed in the picture. Any suggestions ?

Replies

• lilyginger2
    lilyginger2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have edited my post several times to add photo, didn't work. I adited and added in my workout and it didn't work. So I guess I will abandon my post since I can't get my workout listed 🤔
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For core try yoga, pilates, or barre exercises.
  • magpye76
    magpye76 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Can you plank? I find them excellent for my core. There are countless variations but form is really important so start with a simple elbow or full plank (whichever is more comfortable for you) and do a few seconds at a time. I thought planks were impossible to start with as my core was very weak but i persevered and love them now. I even now have abs of sorts! Cant see them yet but they're definitely there!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    compound lifts engage the core pretty frequently. I've heard people say to leave the planks alone and focus yourself on compound lifts.

Deadlift
    Squat
    Lunge
    Shoulder Press
    Bent over row
    jerk, clean, press, some combination of those things
    my students clarified that planks do also engage shoulders
    burpees rock everyone's world for strength and cardio
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Heavy compound lifts will hit your core, and I also love ab rollouts for targeted core work. They work all the same muscles as a plank, but dynamically, and on the eccentric unlike crunches, etc.

You can get an inexpensive ab roller from Walmart for eight bucks or use a barbell or dumbbells.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    compound lifts engage the core pretty frequently. I've heard people say to leave the planks alone and focus yourself on compound lifts.

Deadlift
    Squat
    Lunge
    Shoulder Press
    Bent over row
    jerk, clean, press, some combination of those things
    my students clarified that planks do also engage shoulders
    burpees rock everyone's world for strength and cardio

Given that the OP has arthritis, these may not be possible?

That said, you're right. Squats have done more for my core strength than all the planks.
  • magpye76
    magpye76 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in any way suggesting that planks are the only core exercises to do, just what i have found works for me 😊
    That said, I'm itching to get to the gym and start trying out these compound lifts (my lad starts preschool this friday, yaye for a couple of hours to myself!)
    I do feel relatively confident that my core is now strong enough do them correctly, whereas 3 or 4 months ago I'd have probably just hurt myself, I was horribly feeble!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I have created a strenght workout for myself

Self-designed workouts usually end up imbalanced, so follow a proven program designed by a pro - like the ones here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Isometric holds might be the best bet for you with arthritis and joint issues. Work up to holding both a hollow body and superman hold for 1-2 minutes straight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    with all that rowing, why do you think you need more direct core work?

your core gets worked on most of the compound lifts and cardio like rowing... also if you are not an experienced lifter or training, it is a better idea to follow a tried tested and true program, and swap out any exercise that you can't do due to your limitations, for something that works the same muscle group
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like piyo. It's kinda like flowing yoga to fun music and works all your muscles, especially legs and core. Search YouTube...