John Muir was right

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    Options
    I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

(3-4x per week I do - for sanity)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    For me it is the ocean. I live in a coastal city on an island and can't imagine living more than a few minutes away from the ocean
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    For me it is the ocean. I live in a coastal city on an island and can't imagine living more than a few minutes away from the ocean

ocean vs. mountain - the classic choice. what i remember about being a boy in the seattle area is that you got both. i live now on the jersey shore, love it and the ocean, but do miss real mountains.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yellowstone is one of my favorite places on earth.

If you haven’t gone, GO!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    We recently moved into the Sierra foothills where it's like camping only I'm in my house. I've never been so relaxed in my life. Every day when I leave work, I leave all the stress of the world behind and retreat into my own forest.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I miss living in the mountains. It was so peaceful.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You are not in the mountains. The mountains are in you.

(My personal fav)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    At church yesterday, the priest talked about older priest he once knew who grew up in the middle of nowhere. That’s where I want to visit more often, the middle of nowhere.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    At church yesterday, the priest talked about older priest he once knew who grew up in the middle of nowhere. That’s where I want to visit more often, the middle of nowhere.

That’s in Bakersfield, California 😉
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options

That’s in Bakersfield, California 😉

Hahaha, a good California place to buy cheap gas until you get to cheap gas Arizona.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

ocean vs. mountain - the classic choice. what i remember about being a boy in the seattle area is that you got both. i live now on the jersey shore, love it and the ocean, but do miss real mountains.
    Today from Port Angeles (west of Seattle) Mountains and ocean from the same spot
    sxyr6s288zkn.jpeg

sopogqxyx2xo.jpeg
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,760 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

Today from Port Angeles (west of Seattle) Mountains and ocean from the same spot
    sxyr6s288zkn.jpeg

sopogqxyx2xo.jpeg

That's where my sister lives. She has the forest as her back and front yard and all the birds she can feed.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Awesome, @lorrpb!
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I agree with this.
    I NEED to spend time in the forest. I go crazy and begin to get depressed if I don't.
    One of my favorite quotes is "I am most alive among the tall trees." I dont remember who said it, but it has stuck with me.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    No mountain trip for me this summer. Sigh....
    I'll have to settle for the "mountains" of Wisconsin (i.e. not mountains).
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Hey, the Dells are very nice. Once you get past the tourist traps.

Door County too.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    echmain3 wrote: »

Hey, the Dells are very nice. Once you get past the tourist traps.

Door County too.

Oh I love Wisconsin....we vacation there every year...Door County, Spring Green, Madison...but I’ll miss the mountains.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    sxyr6s288zkn.jpeg

sopogqxyx2xo.jpeg

i've been out there 2x and the area has gotten in my soul