Calories in calories out ?

Options
2»

Replies

• staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining even though I'm often over on fats. I think I just like to eat slightly higher fat than the standard MFP split allows (like 40% instead of 30%), but it doesn't seem to matter as my calories stay in range.
  • MahShield21
    MahShield21 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Royce284 wrote: »
    Hello I was wondering if anyone has had success at maintaining weight even when macros are way off . For example minimum protein , low fat , very high carb but calories are at maintenance level ? Can you eat junk food as long as calories eqUate what is needed.

Yes I maintained weight....
    My protein intake was 15%, fat 20% and rest of was carb...with some junk with of high carb....
    I almost stopped junk now and trying to increase protein and fat with same calories.
    My was weight mainted at 62 kg but now it's 65 kg as I was careless about daily workout....
    I am sure with proper lifestyle and daily workout I can come back to 62 kg
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Over time the more simple sugars you consume you run the greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes which is currently at epidemic rates worldwide.

That's what junk food does to the body. Regardless of how much you weigh, too much simple sugars and for that matter too much sodium can wreak havoc on your organs.

Unfortunately even skinny people figure they can eat whatever they want without consequences.

Break that bad habit now. Opt for healthy choices, organic where possible.

No. It doesn't. The main causes of T2D are genetics and obesity. And since sugar-rich foods tend to be higher in calories (not just due to sugar, but the sugar-fat combo), it is possible that eating too many of them will push you out of maintenance and, over time, lead to weight gain, which will lead to obesity and the increased risk. But that's not the sugar causing it; it's the obesity.

Fruits are mostly simple sugars. Sodium isn't a problem for most people. No food in isolation is healthy or unhealthy; it needs to be looked at in the context of overall diet. And there's nothing to indicate that organic foods are any different nutritionally than non-organic.

100% not true. You can create insulin resistance by consuming too much simple sugars over time, fat or not. Obesity simply increases the likelyhood.

Theyve done quite a few recent studies also showing genetics probably are much less of a contributing factor than diet. You may have diebetic tendencies due to genetics, but your genetics arent going to magically cause you to become diebetic with proper nutrition.

Could you provide a link to something backing this up, since it contradicts the American Diabetes Association?

Over time the more simple sugars you consume you run the greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes which is currently at epidemic rates worldwide.

That's what junk food does to the body. Regardless of how much you weigh, too much simple sugars and for that matter too much sodium can wreak havoc on your organs.

Unfortunately even skinny people figure they can eat whatever they want without consequences.

No. It doesn't. The main causes of T2D are genetics and obesity. And since sugar-rich foods tend to be higher in calories (not just due to sugar, but the sugar-fat combo), it is possible that eating too many of them will push you out of maintenance and, over time, lead to weight gain, which will lead to obesity and the increased risk. But that's not the sugar causing it; it's the obesity.

Fruits are mostly simple sugars. Sodium isn't a problem for most people. No food in isolation is healthy or unhealthy; it needs to be looked at in the context of overall diet. And there's nothing to indicate that organic foods are any different nutritionally than non-organic.

And to answer the OP, sure youll lose weight but youll probably lose muscle mass and possibly compromise important body systems. Protein, fat, and yes even Carbs are all important for your body to rebuild and recover.

OP was asking if it was ok to eat junk food. Since she seems to be an adult, I'm assuming she meant some junk food, not nothing but junk food. Are you saying eating some junk food will cause you to lose muscle? Is there some data I could see on that too?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

100% not true. You can create insulin resistance by consuming too much simple sugars over time, fat or not. Obesity simply increases the likelyhood.

Theyve done quite a few recent studies also showing genetics probably are much less of a contributing factor than diet. You may have diebetic tendencies due to genetics, but your genetics arent going to magically cause you to become diebetic with proper nutrition.

And to answer the OP, sure youll lose weight but youll probably lose muscle mass and possibly compromise important body systems. Protein, fat, and yes even Carbs are all important for your body to rebuild and recover.

The primary driver of insulin resistance and T2D is being overly fat. Yes, it is possible to have T2D at a healthy weight, but it is far less common.

Also, I would assume the OP is talking about having some "treats" in her diet, not eating a diet consisting solely of junk foods which is the typical MFP strawman. I'm having some oats with blueberries and almonds right now. Later for a snack I'm going to have some kimchi. For lunch I have some quinoa with green peas and tuna with lemon and dill. After work I'm heading to the pool for an hour of lap swim, after which I will go home and cook dinner...tonight I'm making a Tuscan lentil stew since a cold front and rain are blowing in...for desert I'm going to have a couple of my wife's homemade cookies...guess I"m going to get the diabetes now...