Healthy Food for the Hurricane-need suggestions!

Options
Ok so I live in Southeastern NC, on the coast and unless you live underground w/ no technology, you know we have a huge hurricane coming...which means probably we will be without power for a few days.... if not longer....I've always stayed during hurricanes, so not worried about that, but what I am worried about is healthy food options... usually we get things that are not the least bit healthy to snack on while we sit around and do nothing while the storm is hitting....I need low cal options for snacks and meals that do not have to be cooked or refridgerated haha... any suggestions??

Replies

• rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Tuna with crackers, laughing cow light cheeses (don't need to be refrigerated), dried fruit and nuts, granola, popcorn (make it before hand?), fruits in general.

Good luck, and be careful. I used to live in New Orleans, and it's always a crap shoot of whether you should stay or go.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump for when it hits PA
  • linzmarie316
    Options
    Almonds are a great snack...and if you need something sweet, sometimes I dip them in a little bit of nutella. Soooo good and no cooking or refrigeration. :)
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump for MD :D
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, nuts, crackers..... popchips or pirates booty (pufffed chip like snack). Cereal (love kix for snacking on).
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Nuts, trail mix and nut butters. You can keep celery and carrots for few days if soaked in water. Fruit is always good like banana's, apples. Dried fruit, crackers. Canned tuna is good you could get the packets of mayo so those won't go bad... Ummm thats all I have for now!
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Stay safe! I live about 30 minutes north of Raleigh, so I have been glued to all the news about Irene. We are vacationing at the Outer Banks in a month, so I hope there isn't too much damage.

A good chip snack is Sensible Solutions. You can find them at Walmart. Only 130 a serving, very light, and made with all natural ingredients. I always have them with lunch. Maybe peanut butter sandwiches. Fresh fruit won't need to be refrigerated. Nuts.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Apples, oranges, bananas, carrots ,celery, radish, stuff like that...

If you have a cooler lean lunch meat cheese and ww bread.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Apples, bannana, protien bars, packets of tuna to put on crackers, nuts, peanut butter on bread or crakers, rice cakes.....that's all I can think of at the moment!
  • cansnchloe
    cansnchloe Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. We live like 3 miles apart! I am hitting the grocery store tomorrow and thinking fruit cups, apples, bananas and crackers, stuff like that. Of course you could get all fancy and light up the gas grill with some zucchini, mushrooms, mmm.... Not that I will be getting that fancy but hey, we could. :)
  • cansnchloe
    cansnchloe Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes and be safe. I am actually considering leaving if I start to feel too freaked out by it by tomorrow morning. I've lived here for 14 years now and still the hurricanes scare me.
  • SarahRazaq
    Options
    I love the Advantage low carb ready made protein shakes.. They are low fat, low cal, high protein and low carb! what more do you need in life? lol Stay safe!!!
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Make sure you have tons of water, too!
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I feel where you're comin from! I live just inland from Va Beach so we're bracing here too! I for one love popchips- they taste like potato chips so you get that snacking vibe but less fat and calories. Also as many have said, fruit that doesn't need to stay cool, nuts, etc.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Remember water, water, water. Fruit (apples, bananas, peaches, grapes), veggies (celery, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes), peanut butter, bread, tortilla wraps, healthy cereals, granola bars, tuna (non-electric can opener), nuts. Oh and if you are feeling stressed............dark chocolate!

Be safe - I live in the Northeast and we are watching the path too!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Almond and rice milks are shelf-stable before you open them, so it might be an option if you use them up quickly (everybody eat cereal at once!)
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bumping for maryland :smile:

stock up on TONS of water! a gallon per day for each person in your house. also most produce keeps at room temperature!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    The hurricane is coming here too, though you'll probably get hit much worse than up here in CT! I'd suggest stocking up on some protein bars. I love the Think Thin ones. Usually around 200-250 calories and 20g of protein, plus they're tasty!

Don't forget bottled water!
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    100 calorie snack packs -- love them all, and they have a variety of them !!
    Stay safe...... :happy:
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Oh dear...first an earthquake and now a hurricane. All within the span of several days.