Opinions on 2 a Days?

Options
2»

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am pretty skeptical about a person's ability to do that for any length of time.
    If you are lifting to build muscle -- lifting to failure on your sets, for example -- you don't recover fast enough to do well in an afternoon run or when you get back in the gym.
    I often run in the morning and play tennis in the evening. My tennis game sucks when I do that. I believe it is because my muscles have not recovered from the morning workout.
    I know that many professional runners do two runs a day, and tri-athletes will regularly do 3-4 hours of training.. But I don't really know how long they keep that up for.
    I think two a days is overdoing and a recipe for injury -- unless, maybe, you are doing something like a gym workout in the morning and something gentle like yoga later.
    I believe we are all better off when you give it our all once, then allow adequate time for recovery, than when we over do it or do not go as hard as we could because we have another session later.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Since you are describing an app conversion of 1RM to enough reps at your desired weight - that change in volume will indeed cause the effects you saw.

Take the time to recover.

And I've yet to see an app conversion that does it correctly - I'm wondering if you were actually doing greater than 1RM equivalent.

https://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Bodyweight#Calculating1RM

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh yup. So if I'm taking my engaged body weight into account, which according to the link above is 72% of my body weight, and then using that in the 1 rep max calculation, which I think is what they're suggesting, putting it into my app I get 694 1RM for 38*155, vs my previous record of 11*255 which comes out to 555.1 1RM. So if this is the accurate way to calculate it, the good news is I really crushed it, as this was a 20% increase vs the 2% increase I thought it was. The bad news is, that I also probably really crushed me, which makes sense 4 days of rest later.

Ya, the rep conversion formulas are usually for the 5-15 rep range - they lose it going higher. Even when you correct for actual resistance compared to bar weight.
    But I'll bet you were in essence way over.

I've gotten the same 4-5 day recovery and really water inflated muscles going from a long period of 5 reps to a new 15 rep routine jump only.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It can useful for those with time restraints or have a goal of optimal training of lifting and cardio and/or sports.

I don't find it useful compared to just 3-4 training sessions a week if we are just talking getting in adequate stimulus.

• Chieflrg
    Options
    1 rep max calculation, which I think is what they're suggesting, putting it into my app I get 694 1RM for 38*155, vs my previous record of 11*255 which comes out to 555.1 1RM. So if this is the accurate way to calculate it

1RM calculators are less accurate the farther we fade away from our 1RM.

Anything over three reps really won't translate for the majority of lifters into their true1RM.

One thing calculators don't take into account is the skill involved of doing 1RM. If you don't practice them on the regular they obviously are underdeveloped.

I'm not saying calculator don't have their place, just not a accurate assessment of 1RM strength by using higher rep schemes.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    1 rep max calculation, which I think is what they're suggesting, putting it into my app I get 694 1RM for 38*155, vs my previous record of 11*255 which comes out to 555.1 1RM. So if this is the accurate way to calculate it

Anything over three reps really won't translate for the majority of lifters into their true1RM.

One thing calculators don't take into account is the skill involved of doing 1RM. If you don't practice them on the regular they obviously are underdeveloped.

I'm not saying calculator don't have their place, just not a accurate assessment of 1RM strength by using higher rep schemes.

Valid. Honestly I've never really attempted to try. I feel like I'd hurt myself.

Just not there yet.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    Since you are describing an app conversion of 1RM to enough reps at your desired weight - that change in volume will indeed cause the effects you saw.

Take the time to recover.

And I've yet to see an app conversion that does it correctly - I'm wondering if you were actually doing greater than 1RM equivalent.

https://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Bodyweight#Calculating1RM

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh yup. So if I'm taking my engaged body weight into account, which according to the link above is 72% of my body weight, and then using that in the 1 rep max calculation, which I think is what they're suggesting, putting it into my app I get 694 1RM for 38*155, vs my previous record of 11*255 which comes out to 555.1 1RM. So if this is the accurate way to calculate it, the good news is I really crushed it, as this was a 20% increase vs the 2% increase I thought it was. The bad news is, that I also probably really crushed me, which makes sense 4 days of rest later.

Ya, the rep conversion formulas are usually for the 5-15 rep range - they lose it going higher. Even when you correct for actual resistance compared to bar weight.
    But I'll bet you were in essence way over.

I've gotten the same 4-5 day recovery and really water inflated muscles going from a long period of 5 reps to a new 15 rep routine jump only.

Well, that also explains why my water weight decreased 3 pounds in the last 2 days haha
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of days where I do an hour of walking and then at another time do an hour of strength training. That's just because I live in a city and don't have a car and like to walk, though. I'll also sometimes spend some time on the bicycle desk I have to combat all the sitting in front of a computer working. I've been contemplating doing a brief lifting routine before my Saturday morning yoga, which I might trial this week. In general I become awry of overtraining though.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
  • Chieflrg
    edited May 2019
    Options

Valid. Honestly I've never really attempted to try. I feel like I'd hurt myself.

Just not there yet.

I'm not saying try 1RM. In fact I suggest you don't ever unless you are competing. It doesn't help your training long term.

I'm just saying because your 38 rep set calculates a certain 1RM, that has nothing to do with your true 1RM. Nothing.

It also doesn't help realize if you are getting stronger per sae. The only thing that might be more definitive is testing your reps at the same weight. I don't see the point of doing that unless you are focused on endurance type training.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Just not there yet.

I'm not saying try 1RM in fact I suggest you don't ever unless you are competing. It doesn't help your training long term.

I'm just saying because your 38 rep set calculates a certain 1RM, that has nothing to do with your true 1RM. Nothing.

This exactly. Unless you are competing, knowing your 1RM is mostly about ego.
  • Spadesheart
    Options

It's all I know, keto :(

Sigh
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Just not there yet.

I'm not saying try 1RM in fact I suggest you don't ever unless you are competing. It doesn't help your training long term.

Cool, cool cool cool. Good to know, I never wanted to do it anyways hahaha
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just not there yet.

In all fairness, there is some application to knowing 1RM. But that is largely if your program based off that number. But the majority of people i know don't do that.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Just not there yet.

In all fairness, there is some application to knowing 1RM. But that is largely if your program based off that number. But the majority of people i know don't do that.

In my experience of...pain and growth, it seemed to be a good indicator of volume gain, especially so far as incremental increases. I would routinely add like 10 pounds and hit a lower rep range to beat my previous record by just a couple pounds at least. It definitely worked for the less dangerous lifts and helped fast track strength progression and muscle growth.

Through my app, I have aimed to beat all my 1RMs every session over the last 3 months, and have been largely successful. It's just clear that that is absolutely not possible with compound exercise that can break your spine, as adding weight to that haphazardly will heavily tax weaker muscle groups and add pressure that your frame just can't handle, and low weight light reps to beat it will do the same.

I think progression has to be slowed down there to just let everything to get stronger at a more even pace or else it's just unsustainable.
    Logically, i think It's also because technically with poor form, I was still able to complete squats, as I just have a lot of raw leg strength.

Starting the new plan and progression today. Here's hoping I'm ready for squats 5 days from now.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Volume gain? How would a 1rm estimate that be a indicator of more volume?

There really is no dangerous lifts specifically. Dangerous loads yes. Everyone should practice proper load management in their training.

Curious how long you've been lifting?
  • Spadesheart
    Options

There really is no dangerous lifts specifically. Dangerous loads yes. Everyone should practice proper load management in their training.

I mean, due to it working. The strength progression was quite clear, and I was just able to get stronger week over week. For "most" exercises it seemed like a good measure of overall possible exertion if I was going to exhaustion, which I have been since I started. I could go down to lighter weights and usually do just about what my calculated 1 rep max was. Who knows, maybe it was psychological. The goal since the start was to just beat that on my prescribed exercises, usually just by a few pounds every week.

Not very long with the lifting. Since February really. January was all cardio. Weight loss started mid December. The strength gain has been quite surprisingly dramatic, it's never quite been like this any other time I've tried the gym thing. Kind of neat.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

I mean, due to it working. The strength progression was quite clear, and I was just able to get stronger week over week. For "most" exercises it seemed like a good measure of overall possible exertion if I was going to exhaustion, which I have been since I started. I could go down to lighter weights and usually do just about what my calculated 1 rep max was. Who knows, maybe it was psychological. The goal since the start was to just beat that on my prescribed exercises, usually just by a few pounds every week.

Not very long with the lifting. Since February really. January was all cardio. Weight loss started mid December. The strength gain has been quite surprisingly dramatic, it's never quite been like this any other time I've tried the gym thing. Kind of neat.

The typical ability to up the weight nearly every session for a beginner or someone who has started after a long hiatus is about 2-5 months.

About 90% of lifters have this ability to add weight every session for the time frame.
  • Spadesheart
    Options

The typical ability to up the weight nearly every session for a beginner or someone who has started after a long hiatus is about 2-5 months.

About 90% of lifters have this ability to add weight every session for the time frame.

Here's hoping I get to good reps of unassisted dips, and pull-ups before that tapers off. Gotta love that functional strength.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Just not there yet.

Yes, I understand and agree. That is why I said mostly.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I think it was Brad Schoenfeld in an interview with Jeff Nippard that talked about a study where they took a group of guys (all who could squat at least 1.5x bodyweight), established their 1RM (by having them lift it) and then dropped the weight to 70% of 1RM and told them to squat to failure.
    Some only lifted 70% 1RM for 9 or so reps. Others were able to get close to 30 reps.

Illustrates just how inaccurate the 1RM calculators online must be. Endurance with a lower weight doesn't necessarily translate to a higher 1RM.