Cocoa Powder vs Dark Chocolate

Options

Replies

• 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Well if you are not going to be serious I will assume that you are taking food "medicine" for no good reason. You have likely been on too many websites that talk about super foods and what this food can do for you. It is causing you to overthink eating.

Too many websites... Maybe but probably way less then the average bear. Super foods...negative on that. I can show you my diary from the last month to prove that one. Plain chicken is probably my only super food and whey protein. But I am engineer and I for sure over think somethings...very guilty on that one. If there is a readily available cheap food that I can try, I am all onboard. As far as asking a simple question and getting woo-ed I love it! Wished woo-ing had more protein. BTW...never liked chocolate a day in my life. But if I can throw cocoa powder in my protein shake and down it real quick I will try it. Haven't done it yet but there is always tomorrow. Oh I do have a herb garden and I love cooking. So I am a little geeky there. Don't forget to woo me.....pleaseeeeeeee!
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sorry....I love me my nestle Quick!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    4LeafMint wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Better for you how?

I am talking about nutritionally...not taste. I eat a lot of things I don't really like. But I heard dark chocolate is really good for you. And plain cocoa powder is pretty cheap.

Life is too short to eat foods you don’t like.

It is all about your goals. I eat somethings I like and somethings I don't. Food can be like medicine...you take it even when you don't like it. Plus I start liking some of the things I use to not like.

I think trying things multiple times is a good idea, and if you are struggling to have sufficient nutrients because you are really picky working on your palate (and your cooking, perhaps!) is a good idea, but for most people who have a reasonable range of foods they like, I don't think it's necessary to tell yourself that you can only achieve goals by eating foods or meals that aren't tasty to you.

For example, I like most fruits and almost all vegetables, but I don't like grapefruit. I've tried it off and on over the years, don't mind it as an ingredient in some things, but that I don't like it is no biggie, there are plenty of other foods I enjoy that have similar nutrients.

I absolutely hate canned tuna and don't like tilapia or catfish, but I like pretty much every other fish I've tried, so no reason to force myself to eat foods I don't care for.

So on.

I suppose one could have a different approach if one feels like they just don't like enough things, but I also sometimes feel like there's this idea that there are certain magical foods that must be consumed, and that's not so. Like flaxseed or chia are healthy (and I like them fine although question whether they are always worth the cals for me), but most people don't need to add them to their diets unless they enjoy them. But because they are trendy people sometimes feel like they should. Similarly, I don't like green tea, so don't drink it. Sure, it's supposed to be healthy, but I doubt drinking herbal will doom me or prevent me from reaching any goals.

Like I said, I do think trying foods is a good idea, though.

On cocoa powder vs. dark chocolate, I eat both on occasion (I like dark better than light and currently my favorite easily available dark chocolate is Chocolove 88%). I also quite like these unsweetened chocolate brewing powders (you make them basically like coffee -- I have used my french press) and they are a nice evening alternative to tea.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    BTW...never liked chocolate a day in my life. But if I can throw cocoa powder in my protein shake and down it real quick I will try it. Haven't done it yet but there is always tomorrow.

Why would you do this? It seems like a waste of calories vs. adding something to the protein shake you will enjoy (assuming you don't like it when you do try it). What amazing effect do you think cocoa powder will have?

(For the record, I use it in cooking from time to time but not in smoothies other than one time when it happened to go with my ingredients. I usually choose ingredients that would not go well with chocolate in my smoothies, IMO, and I want tasty (in addition to healthy) smoothies. Obviously YMMV, but I'm just trying to understand what you believe you are accomplishing.)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If dark chocolate is high in antioxidants then cocoa will be too. Cocoa has less fat in it.
    Try dusting your coffee with cocoa and cinnamon. You’ll be imitating the Aztecs.
  • 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    BTW...never liked chocolate a day in my life. But if I can throw cocoa powder in my protein shake and down it real quick I will try it. Haven't done it yet but there is always tomorrow.

Why would you do this? It seems like a waste of calories vs. adding something to the protein shake you will enjoy (assuming you don't like it when you do try it). What amazing effect do you think cocoa powder will have?

(For the record, I use it in cooking from time to time but not in smoothies other than one time when it happened to go with my ingredients. I usually choose ingredients that would not go well with chocolate in my smoothies, IMO, and I want tasty (in addition to healthy) smoothies. Obviously YMMV, but I'm just trying to understand what you believe you are accomplishing.)

Thanks lemurcat and jgnatca....Finally an honest to goodness informative dialogue. I am going to try adding cocoa powder to my coffee. I realized that I shouldn't be asking questions on MFP. I am a powerlifter trying to lose weight for competition. I have to make every macro calorie count while being in a calorie deficit. Most of MFP have different goals than I, which is awesome! But don't be a smart a$? about it. I will use MFP for tracking calories and macros...and try to stay away from chats. Just want to see how many more woo's I can get then leaving this community. Again thank you!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, cocoa powder is a decent source of non-heme iron (1.8 g per 5 g of product) & it adds fiber (1 g per 5 g of product).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Well if you are not going to be serious I will assume that you are taking food "medicine" for no good reason. You have likely been on too many websites that talk about super foods and what this food can do for you. It is causing you to overthink eating.

Too many websites... Maybe but probably way less then the average bear. Super foods...negative on that. I can show you my diary from the last month to prove that one. Plain chicken is probably my only super food and whey protein. But I am engineer and I for sure over think somethings...very guilty on that one. If there is a readily available cheap food that I can try, I am all onboard. As far as asking a simple question and getting woo-ed I love it! Wished woo-ing had more protein. BTW...never liked chocolate a day in my life. But if I can throw cocoa powder in my protein shake and down it real quick I will try it. Haven't done it yet but there is always tomorrow. Oh I do have a herb garden and I love cooking. So I am a little geeky there. Don't forget to woo me.....pleaseeeeeeee!

I don't woo people.

You still didn't answer the question. What illness are you trying to cure with this cocoa powder you are adding to your shake? If none, get the nutrients you would get there somewhere more enjoyable.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here's the difference nutritionally:

Cocoa powder has had the cocoa butter removed. As a result, the fat that remains is negligible.

100% pure chocolate has both cocoa butter & solids. It has substantially more fat than cocoa powder.

You want a bar made for eating, not baking. Montezuma's Absolute Black is a 100% chocolate bar, made with only cocoa solids, butter, and nibs (broken up bits of cocoa bean). Trader Joe's carries them and they're amazing.

If you appreciate really dark chocolate and black coffee, you might like it. Sugar and milk tends to mask the various flavors in chocolate (as well as in coffee). With low quality beans, you need that. Good beans need little to no embellishment.

I've found that when I crave chocolate, it takes only a square or two of good 90-100% chocolate to satisfy the craving, whereas with milk chocolate or even regular dark chocolate (~60% range) I have to eat a LOT more before the craving stops.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So am I white trash for liking Hershey's?

Heavens no! That's not what I meant at all. Hershey's makes candy, they're good at what they do. It is what it is, no judgement.

A 100% chocolate bar is most definitely not candy, as any kid who's ever taken a bite of baking chocolate can attest.

A little like comparing a frappuccino to black coffee or coffee with a splash of cream. They're both made with coffee, but are wildly different products.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,313 Member
    Options

Cocoa powder has had the cocoa butter removed. As a result, the fat that remains is negligible.

100% pure chocolate has both cocoa butter & solids. It has substantially more fat than cocoa powder.

You want a bar made for eating, not baking. Montezuma's Absolute Black is a 100% chocolate bar, made with only cocoa solids, butter, and nibs (broken up bits of cocoa bean). Trader Joe's carries them and they're amazing.

If you appreciate really dark chocolate and black coffee, you might like it. Sugar and milk tends to mask the various flavors in chocolate (as well as in coffee). With low quality beans, you need that. Good beans need little to no embellishment.

I've found that when I crave chocolate, it takes only a square or two of good 90-100% chocolate to satisfy the craving, whereas with milk chocolate or even regular dark chocolate (~60% range) I have to eat a LOT more before the craving stops.

anthocyanina not the one who made it a class thing. Just sayin'. ;););)

signed, former trailer park resident
  • NovusDies
    Options

You and me, @NovusDies. But imagine all the money we're saving, eating that nasty cheap chocolate. ;)

I find the best way to enjoy a square of Hershey's is to smell it first and take in the subtle floral notes of the Hershey factory. Then place it gently on my tongue and let it melt slightly in my mouth before chewing it.

I like to have a few squares with my coffee on the weekends. I am not a big sweets eater and I like a classic.

With that said I do like the Lindt DC Sea Salt too. I have no idea what percentage it is because none of that means anything to me. I just care about taste.
  • NovusDies
    Options

Heavens no! That's not what I meant at all. Hershey's makes candy, they're good at what they do. It is what it is, no judgement.

A 100% chocolate bar is most definitely not candy, as any kid who's ever taken a bite of baking chocolate can attest.

A little like comparing a frappuccino to black coffee or coffee with a splash of cream. They're both made with coffee, but are wildly different products.

I was just giving you a hard time and trying to be slightly funny at the same time. It is kind of what I do.