Using protein powder as coffee creamer?

I'm obviously trying to avoid unnecessary calories by using milk with my protein. Sometimes I will mix it with almond milk, but its getting kind of boring. I love coffee, but can only drink it with cream and sugar, and there's unnecessary calories there, too. So why not enjoy both at the same time? Save on the calories and the sugar, its a win-win right?

I plan to try it with decaf iced coffee (not a huge fan of hot drinks during the summer time.) I think it will mix okay, but was wondering about the taste.
Has anyone tried this? Does the sweetness of the protein powder counteract the bitter coffee flavor enough, or am I still going to have to add a sweetener of sorts? I'm imagining vanilla or chocolate protein powder would taste pretty good.

Replies

• Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    Depends on you and your protein powder. I use protein powder with instant espresso and a sugar free Torani for breakfast and during my weightlifting sessions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited May 2019
    I add protein powder, chia seeds, and dried coconut to my coffee, and call it breakfast :)

Note: generally you have to either let the coffee cool a bit or temper the protein powder with a cooler liquid (water works) or the hot coffee will curdle the PP.

ypmjkcqganf4.png

I presoak the chia seeds in a little water and use them and their soaking water.

I brew the coffee over the dried coconut so it can rehydrate a bit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I use plain whey and add it to my cold espresso. It remains fairly bitter with a milky taste and I really enjoy it. I have never tried flavoured but I would imagine if it is sweet enough it would offset any bitterness. You might have to experiment with ratios to get it to your taste.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I use vanilla whey in my coffee, iced and hot. I dissolve it in a little bit of water and then I add my coffee. It tastes pretty good to me. I have tried chocolate and did not care for it.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    You could limit your use of Half & half. 10 calories with no sugars. per serving.
    You could also exercise to make up the difference...
  • 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint Posts: 65 Member
    Glad to hear others add protein to coffee. I mix 100% whey protein (2 scoops) in room temp water to completely dissolve it. Then add stevia to 4 cups of coffee and then add my whey. If you add powder protein to hot liquids it will clump up. If I said this on other MPF chats I would get hell and a bunch of woo's. I have a fan base of woo'ers and they probably will find me here too....love them woo'ers. Don't know why MFP will not limit the woo's.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    I use vanilla whey in hot coffee, I just have to shake it with a bit of water and stir as I pour it in. Sometimes to mix it up I'll use chocolate whey and make hot chocolate by heating almond milk, mixing the powder in with water and adding them together too.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    4LeafMint wrote: »
    Glad to hear others add protein to coffee. I mix 100% whey protein (2 scoops) in room temp water to completely dissolve it. Then add stevia to 4 cups of coffee and then add my whey. If you add powder protein to hot liquids it will clump up. If I said this on other MPF chats I would get hell and a bunch of woo's. I have a fan base of woo'ers and they probably will find me here too....love them woo'ers. Don't know why MFP will not limit the woo's.

If you mix the protein in a non-hot liquid, can you then add the mixture to a hot liquid without getting clumps? Or do you just have your coffee room temp too?
  • 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint wrote: »

If you mix the protein in a non-hot liquid, can you then add the mixture to a hot liquid without getting clumps? Or do you just have your coffee room temp too?

Yes mix the protein in lukewarm (or out of the facuet) water. I use as little water as possible to make the protein as thick as possible to be dissolved and pourable. It almost will look and pour like half and half. I really like the taste but to each is there own. I even drink coffee with whey as pre-work about 30-45 minutes before working out.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    You could limit your use of Half & half. 10 calories with no sugars. per serving.
    You could also exercise to make up the difference...

At that point I would just eliminate the coffee altogether. Lol.
  • 4LeafMint
    And the protein will not clump when added to hot coffee.
  • 4LeafMint
    I am about to drink my protein coffee pre-workout now as I am about to leave for the gym ☕️
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited May 2019
    I do mine in a blender,coffee,ice,almond milk,whey it's like a frappucino <3 I cannot imagine putting whey in hot coffee :# but that's only cuz I loooove black coffee when it's hot!
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I add protein powder, chia seeds, and dried coconut to my coffee, and call it breakfast :)

Note: generally you have to either let the coffee cool a bit or temper the protein powder with a cooler liquid (water works) or the hot coffee will curdle the PP.

ypmjkcqganf4.png

I presoak the chia seeds in a little water and use them and their soaking water.

I brew the coffee over the dried coconut so it can rehydrate a bit.

kshama2001 does this give your coffee a coconut flavoring? I love coconut flavored beans but it's hard to find on a regular basis.

Do you add them into the filter with the grounds or put them in the pot?
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    LOVE making protein creamer. I use room temperature water and add my vanilla whey protein. Shake really good. I put my hot coffee in the microwave for another 30 seconds to counter act the temp. of the protein creamer. Poor both into a big mug. 100 calories. Breakfast!!!
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    edited May 2019
    Oh! I will also do two other recipes:
    1) Half chocolate and half vanilla protein, add done almond extract.
    2) Vanilla protein, pumpkin spice, and almond extract.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Protein powder as coffee creamer. I'd never think of such an idea on my own, but I'll definitely try it now. Thank you!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    I feel like coffee is so perfect and delicious on its own that you should all find a different food/beverage to put your protein powder in 😂
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I feel like coffee is so perfect and delicious on its own that you should all find a different food/beverage to put your protein powder in 😂

I absolutely HATE coffee UNLESS it has something else in it. Add cream and sugar though? Yum. Without it though, I literally gag on it. It's awful.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    I don't right now, but when I worked out in the morning, I would make my coffee a little stronger, mix my protein with about a half cup of cold water first, and then mix them together without clumps. If you were to do it with already cooled coffee, I wouldn't see any issues at all. Flavour is subjective, but honestly it was pretty delicious with my salted caramel stuff.