Having a hard time

skuhns92
skuhns92 Posts: 7 Member
I started my journey a little over 2 weeks ago. I thought by now I would see a few pounds difference but I've done nothing but gain weight. I am at the gym 3-4 times a week, watching portions and types of foods I'm consuming. I don't understand how I can work so hard and gain weight while doing more for myself than I ever have before.

Replies

• carolalicia
    carolalicia Posts: 1 Member
    You know I have the same trouble , I’m logging everything I eat , I even dropped to 1000 calories a day but still am not losing weight. I cycle 6 miles a day to and from work and excersise twice a week at the gym , but nothing . I am 5.4 and 13 stone .! It’s stupid either I starve myself or give up
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    if you have recently increased your exercise routine your muscles are likely holding onto extra water to repair themselves which could mask weight loss. this will flush out eventually and you will see progress then if this is the case.

weight loss is a long long journey. stick to it and think long term.

but yes besides that, use a food scale for all foods
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • sk1998mfp
    sk1998mfp Posts: 36 Member
    I have the same problem 😣 add me and let’s work togther🙃
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    skuhns92 wrote: »
    I started my journey a little over 2 weeks ago. I thought by now I would see a few pounds difference but I've done nothing but gain weight. I am at the gym 3-4 times a week, watching portions and types of foods I'm consuming. I don't understand how I can work so hard and gain weight while doing more for myself than I ever have before.

Welcome! And great work on making this decision and taking steps to a healthier you. Just remember that fit and healthy don't have weights, so try to focus on non-scale victories as well as that number on the scale. Like do your clothes fit better? Can you run further/faster/longer? Can you lift heavier weight? Do you get less out of breath climbing stairs? Take joy in every win.

The chart above is a great reference guide, but I really hear where you're coming from. I've suddenly found in my 30s I can't just drop a few pounds like I could in my 20s and it's really annoying. Two weeks is no time at all though, it's a marathon not a sprint!

Re above posts: Please don't do keto! And you have not magically gained muscles in two weeks, sorry.

I've found that I'm drinking loads more water, and from all the exercise my body is holding more water, if I take a few rest days and reduce my water intake BOOM I've lost weight, but then the cycle repeats, this will be a slow process and that's fine, I don't like it but I accept it.

I'd also suggest rather than portion control you need to get strict and actually weigh (not measure) all your food. Cups and tablespoons are easy to fudge but digital grams or ounces don't lie!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    My first 2 weeks I gained weight as well. Just keep working at it. I am 13 weeks in now and I'm now down 25 pounds. Just keep working at it. You'll get there.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    skuhns92 wrote: »

Your answer lies somewhere in this chart:

inq1japrz87m.jpg

This.
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    I third the chart. Two weeks is still really new. You should try to take up your water consumption. Helped me a ton. I am doing at least 80 oz of water a day. Plain water. At first, it was a little difficult now it's a breeze. As others have said there could be many factors, but giving it more time will help. One day you'll wake up and the scale may something very different.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    There are so many different factors which can be contributing to it. Building muscle, water weight, inaccurate portioning, etc. I think you need to give it a little more time - it will start happening. Patience is key! Keep up the hard work! :)