Share your running peeves

Replies

• samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    danno912 wrote: »
    My bleeding nips

I started using KT tape for that. I have a hairy chest so band-aids were too painful so I cut small squares of KT tape. Now my pet peeve is when I take my shirt off and walk around wit little red pasties :/

I too have a hairy chest and sticking anything over my breasts scares me
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Tendonitis literally takes forever to heal. Forever 🥺
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    denny_mac wrote: »
    Finding a mens' sports bro to give me the support I need.

It's called a holster. Or a scabbard.
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    I guess my peeve would be with other people on the trails. It's only happened a few times, but after I ran a while and stop and walk, I've had a few times where other walkers that saw me initially running say something like "are you too tired to run anymore?"
    I suppose they weren't trying to be rude, but why say something like that to anyone?
    On the flip side, after my last ACL surgery, I hit the paved trail a lot to practice the whole walking normally thing again, and was out walking in my ACL brace one day when one of the other walkers passed by me and said I was doing great and getting out and walking was a great thing for me to do. I thought that was sweet of him to be encouraging like that, especially at a time when I was pouting a lot for being sidelined from a lot of the stuff I wanted to be doing.

Yesss this!but I hate the “words of encouragement “
    Like “good job keep going”
    Blah blah blah
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Right now, my biggest peeve is that I'm not ...
    So a peeve is definitely that we're (runners) more prone to over-use injuries.

This! Ankle tendonitis is ridiculous. I did 8 weeks of rest+icing+massage+stretches. Tried a super small 1/4mile walk. Nope, my ankle felt itchy on the inside of my skin. Trying another 8 weeks on Monday😔
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    MrsDan1667 wrote: »
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Right now, my biggest peeve is that I'm not ...
    So a peeve is definitely that we're (runners) more prone to over-use injuries.

This! Ankle tendonitis is ridiculous. I did 8 weeks of rest+icing+massage+stretches. Tried a super small 1/4mile walk. Nope, my ankle felt itchy on the inside of my skin. Trying another 8 weeks on Monday😔
    Try wearing an ankle compression sleeve when you exercise. Works wonders for me.
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    My bleeding nips

My daughter just ran a half a marathon a few weeks ago and she told me her male team mates were given bandaids to put on their nipples. I never knew this was a thing.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    I have a few.....people who let their dogs loose in a public Park area (with posted leash law signs). People who don't clean up after their dogs. Peeps who feel the need to walk shoulder to shoulder and take up the whole path, even when they see you coming. How hard is it to share the path?!?? Oh, and forgetting to start my watch.
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    dog poo and pot holes. I hate having to constantly look a the ground when im running in a nice area just because someone is too good to pick up after their dog.
  • JB1775
    JB1775 Posts: 136 Member
    Running itself is a peeve. Lol. I hate it. But it's necessary. So I love it.
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    When spotify is just not playing the right songs! I kept skipping tracks yesterday because I just wasn't "feeling" any of them, and we all know that when the right song comes on towards the end of your run, it's magic.
  • fitbritt128
    fitbritt128 Posts: 35 Member
    edited May 2019
    Definitely, mean dogs or unleashed dogs. I was attacked by two dogs while running about 5 years ago, and it was a terrifying experience. I had to run and barricade myself behind someone's screen door, and the dogs would NOT go away. They kept aggressively barking at me. There was no way I could escape so I had to call the police.
    And just the other day, my fiance and I were running around our neighborhood (different neighborhood from the time I was bitten), and a pit bull approached us from around the corner. Luckily, he wasn't aggressive and the owner came around the corner a minute late, but come ON. Leash your d*** dogs. I understand they are so sweet and loving to you, but they don't know me so don't expect the same outcome with strangers. Some owners are so irresponsible.

Ok, that felt good to vent. :D
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,852 Member
    JB1775 wrote: »
    Running itself is a peeve. Lol. I hate it. But it's necessary. So I love it.

It’s one of the most natural activities for a human to do. My fellow homo sapien had you no idea that we are probably the top species for endurance on this planet?
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Ditto to the loose dogs...I've actually had people say "it's ok hes nice" as he is jumping on me and following me and nipping at my heals... it is crazy ...I dont care if he is nice...he is slowing down my time and is a tripping hazard on an already rocky steep trail.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    JimDew wrote: »
    Mine is people that won’t acknowledge another runner. Or walker. A nod or wave isn’t hard to muster. (I’m not talking 30 people to wave at in 3 miles, but the 2-4 I cross paths with in 5 miles).

lol

I'm not here to make friends. I find people who try to interact with me when working out aggravating.

• askeeney
    askeeney Posts: 448 Member
    JimDew wrote: »
    Mine is people that won’t acknowledge another runner. Or walker. A nod or wave isn’t hard to muster. (I’m not talking 30 people to wave at in 3 miles, but the 2-4 I cross paths with in 5 miles).

lol

I'm not here to make friends. I find people who try to interact with me when working out aggravating.

Agreed. Let me run in peace.
  • Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    Oh my here we go!

If you bike on a running trail please give me a heads up before you come flying past me. A quick "on your left!" is all I need and if I don't hear you because I've got my music too loud then that makes ME the *kitten*.

Long runs sometimes require you bring water or gels, its great to be prepared but keep your friggin trash!

If you are walking your dog clean up the poop!

Realizing at mile marker 2 that you forgot to hit "Go" on the garmin.

Best running advice I ever got "Never trust a fart after mile 5"
  • Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    A simple wave or a nod to me is a recognition that we are both out here getting to our goals and a little extra motivation to keep running so if you want to wave and or nod at me as we pass feel free.
  • askeeney
    askeeney Posts: 448 Member
    I believe it comes down to the person and this isn’t really about running. I want to be left alone in most social/public situations. If I look away let it be.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    go_cubs wrote: »
    I guess my peeve would be with other people on the trails. It's only happened a few times, but after I ran a while and stop and walk, I've had a few times where other walkers that saw me initially running say something like "are you too tired to run anymore?"
    I suppose they weren't trying to be rude, but why say something like that to anyone?
    On the flip side, after my last ACL surgery, I hit the paved trail a lot to practice the whole walking normally thing again, and was out walking in my ACL brace one day when one of the other walkers passed by me and said I was doing great and getting out and walking was a great thing for me to do. I thought that was sweet of him to be encouraging like that, especially at a time when I was pouting a lot for being sidelined from a lot of the stuff I wanted to be doing.

Yesss this!but I hate the “words of encouragement “
    Like “good job keep going”
    Blah blah blah

My sister and I were running up a steep hill (and were at the section with a hundred stone steps cut into the trail - running up steps is hard) one time during marathon training, giving everything we had to keep the pace, when these two women walking downhill tried to cheer us on and give us high fives. We know they meant well, but when you are already maxed out on effort - just trying to survive and make it to the top - that little extra effort to say thanks and high five someone while going up hill like that takes everything. Totally energy sapping and demoralizing.

We kept chugging on, but it was agonizing, and we slowed massively to more of a survival shuffle. They probably thought they were being super motivating and helpful. Even years later when we come to the base of a beast hill, if there's anyone else around, one of us always comments on that day...put your mean face on and don't make eye contact! ;)