the atkins died: fat or fiction

Options
2»

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    nope it's not called "hating" it's called a sense of humor...which way too many people are lacking!

Weight loss is very personal, for me at least. I don't find it funny at all to mock someone's effort to lose weight. And I have a really sick sense of humor.

Do people like you do this with everything they don't agree with? Do you think it's ok for someone to bash a gay couple or a mom who had an abortion? More importantly, would you mock a stranger in real life? For no reason?
  • dezedeze
    dezedeze Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The heart attack rumor on Atkins' death is just that...a rumor.

He was in fact diagnosed with cardiomyopathy prior to his death, a condition that has many potential causes beyond coronary artery disease. In fact, a cardiac catheterization performed on him at that time revealed clean coronaries.

Furthermore, a serious bleed to the head results in a series of not-so-good consequences, not the least of which being severe hypertension as your system tries to get blood to dying brain cells. Also, hypertonic saline is frequently given to these patients in order to control brain swelling...this, of course, can lead to major fluid retention and heart failure even in healthy individuals.

Bottom line: I think all low-carbers and vegans will agree when I say: eat your veggies people! Whether or not you pair those veggies with meat or carbs is up to you, and I'm not going to tell you what I think you should do. Do your research, educate yourself, and go with your gut.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    nope it's not called "hating" it's called a sense of humor...which way too many people are lacking!
    agreed
  • Susanxxxx
    Susanxxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This does work, it is fact. I have been on it for 3 weeks. I just started to incorporate alli diet pills too.

Really this is the magic bullet combo. don't believe anything you hear. just try it

totally unrelated to the opening topic, but when i started atkins i too used alli and found i was tired for weeks. When you aren't eating carbs you must eat fat as your body only can use carbs or fat for energy. Nothing else. Just my 2c, BTW I'm still an atkins girl so not slating your woe at all xxx
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    I find your subject error ironic, considering the man who came up with this absurd diet died of a heart attack before the age of 50.

This is a myth!
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkinsdiet/a/dratkinsdeath.htm
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find your subject error ironic, considering the man who came up with this absurd diet died of a heart attack before the age of 50.

He died from a head injury after being in a coma, as the result of a fall. Do some basic research before you start yapping.

Exactly. And he was in his 70s.
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No, it's not Hate Atkins Day. I've seen it work for people, but just like many fad diets it is not sustainable long-term. Once the weight is gone (in the case of my father-in-law who lost 60 lbs w/ Atkins) a new plan (long term) needs to be put in place to keep the weight off for good. This is the case with any 'restriction' style diet (think: Special K diet).

I was just saying that any diet that requires the use of testing strips is not the one for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

If you actually knew anything about the diet, and weren't just spouting off random bits of information you read "on the web" you'd know that there IS a maintenancee phase.

And it DOES include good carbs and fruits and everything else.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    A restriction diet is when you CAN'T eat certain things. Like the Special K diet where you must eat Special K products for breakfast and lunch each day.

Although Atkins does not REQUIRE testing strips if you do the full Atkins and don't test with the strips (use long term) that is your own decision. Your own body. From what I've learned the responsible Atkins followers use the test strips...it was not random web searches, I learned that from other MFP users. If they are also wrong I apologize.
This discussion has been closed.