Using protein powder as coffee creamer?

2»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    If you like cold coffee, it may be worth trying to mix your protein powder into hot coffee, let it cool and then pour the result over ice.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I use protein powder mixed with water and add the coffee to it. Or I use a premade protein shake, like Muscle Milk or Premier Protein, and add it to the cofee instead of almond milk or creamer. It's good.
  • LilOddOne
    LilOddOne Posts: 3 Member
    These are all excellent ideas and I'm so excited to try them! I'm curious though, has anybody ever tried to pre-mix the powder and water mixture and save it in the fridge for a few days??
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    4LeafMint wrote: »
    Glad to hear others add protein to coffee. I mix 100% whey protein (2 scoops) in room temp water to completely dissolve it. Then add stevia to 4 cups of coffee and then add my whey. If you add powder protein to hot liquids it will clump up. If I said this on other MPF chats I would get hell and a bunch of woo's. I have a fan base of woo'ers and they probably will find me here too....love them woo'ers. Don't know why MFP will not limit the woo's.

If you mix the protein in a non-hot liquid, can you then add the mixture to a hot liquid without getting clumps? Or do you just have your coffee room temp too?

I tried this today. I mixed the protein with cold milk until it was fully mixed then added it to hot coffee. It seemed ok at first.. but there were some small clumps that eventually formed, you couldn't really feel them in your mouth but it looked very off-putting. So.. room temperature or cold coffee for me from now on !
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I add protein powder, chia seeds, and dried coconut to my coffee, and call it breakfast :)

Note: generally you have to either let the coffee cool a bit or temper the protein powder with a cooler liquid (water works) or the hot coffee will curdle the PP.

ypmjkcqganf4.png

I presoak the chia seeds in a little water and use them and their soaking water.

I brew the coffee over the dried coconut so it can rehydrate a bit.

kshama2001 does this give your coffee a coconut flavoring? I love coconut flavored beans but it's hard to find on a regular basis.

Do you add them into the filter with the grounds or put them in the pot?

@zeejane4 the dried coconut gives a tiny bit of coconut flavoring. I have a single serve coffee maker and put them in the cup to keep the fiber.

However, you could get a nice coconut flavor if you added coconut oil. When I was making coconut muffins a few years back it seemed the only type of coconut oil guaranteed to have flavor was unrefined. I'm currently using the Whole Foods 365 brand, and have also used Spectrum.

For coconut fans, this also makes for a nice smelling skin moisturizer :)
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I add protein powder, chia seeds, and dried coconut to my coffee, and call it breakfast :)

Note: generally you have to either let the coffee cool a bit or temper the protein powder with a cooler liquid (water works) or the hot coffee will curdle the PP.

ypmjkcqganf4.png

I presoak the chia seeds in a little water and use them and their soaking water.

I brew the coffee over the dried coconut so it can rehydrate a bit.

kshama2001 does this give your coffee a coconut flavoring? I love coconut flavored beans but it's hard to find on a regular basis.

Do you add them into the filter with the grounds or put them in the pot?

@zeejane4 the dried coconut gives a tiny bit of coconut flavoring. I have a single serve coffee maker and put them in the cup to keep the fiber.

However, you could get a nice coconut flavor if you added coconut oil. When I was making coconut muffins a few years back it seemed the only type of coconut oil guaranteed to have flavor was unrefined. I'm currently using the Whole Foods 365 brand, and have also used Spectrum.

For coconut fans, this also makes for a nice smelling skin moisturizer :)

Thanks for the tip-I'll look for unrefined coconut oil when I go to the store this week :)
  • promisesstandin
    promisesstandin Posts: 150 Member
    yeh, i do use PP in coffee when I'm maxed out on my fats and still needing protein. Thanks for the tip about it getting clumpy with hot liquids... mine has been kinda gloppy and I just keep stirring it. I use Garden of Life Raw Vanilla with greens; tasty to me - others think it's chalky - enough creaminess bc i like my coffee very creamy - no sugar but the sugar in the Raw Vanilla is not overpowering, just enough
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Don't. Many of them clump in hot liquid. Looks like curdled milk.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I'm lazy so I buy the premade protein drinks. I regularly use them as creamer in my coffee. I find that I have to use more of the protein drink to get the taste I like--but I'm going to drink it all anyway. It works. I alternate between protein drinks and regular creamer.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »

If you mix them with water or milk first, then add the coffee, it doesn't curdle.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »

If you mix them with water or milk first, then add the coffee, it doesn't curdle.

Mine still did but it took a few minutes..maybe it depends on the brand
  • littlechara
    littlechara Posts: 1 Member
    Hate to burst bubbles, but I am a student of nutrition and have recently learned that the tannins (hydrolysable tannin polyphenols) in coffee (and tea) inhibit absorption of iron and other nutrients. So I don't drink coffee at mealtimes anymore and I wait to take any kind of supplement until the coffee is out of my system.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Hate to burst bubbles, but I am a student of nutrition and have recently learned that the tannins (hydrolysable tannin polyphenols) in coffee (and tea) inhibit absorption of iron and other nutrients. So I don't drink coffee at mealtimes anymore and I wait to take any kind of supplement until the coffee is out of my system.

Not to any significant degree. You're not going to become nutrient deficient by having a cup of coffee as long as your diet consists of adequate amounts of those nutrients.
  • leahannhorton
    leahannhorton Posts: 20 Member
    I do this sometimes but with the premixed shakes, like Premier Protein.