Goals question

Options
BattyKnitter
BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
edited May 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've recently started lifting heavy (StrongLifts 5x5), I was doing barbell routines before and I have lifted heavy in the past but I'm still very much a beginner. I've also started a 5k training program a few weeks ago.

This has me wondering, what do you do when you reach your goals and have nowhere else to go? For example what do you do once you can't or don't want to lift any heavier? You can change programs yeah but what about the main lifts that every program has like squats and deadlifts? What do you do when you run your 5k as fast as possible or can't/don't want to run further distances?

I'm currently in a deficit and hoping to make fitness my new goals when I finally reach maintenance. I'm very goal-oriented so running and lifting just to maintain my achievements with no more progress probably won't cut it.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    There is always better, faster and stronger. "you can't or don't want to lift any heavier?" You can always get stronger to lift heavier. Why wouldn't you want to? You can lift heavier and get stronger without getting bigger.

"5k as fast as possible " What is the fastest 5K possible? Are you approaching the world record? You can always get faster.

"can't/don't want to run further distances?" No such thing as can't run further. If you don't want to, you can always run faster.

"have nowhere else to go?" There is always somewhere else to go. You can get stronger without getting bigger. You can get faster without going longer. There is always better. At the very least, you can PB all your runs and lifts each and every time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Or, take up new sports: Cycle, swim, triathlon, Crossfit, rowing (water or machine), kayaking, canoeing, baseball, softball, soccer, basketball, hundreds more. Increase your flexibility. Learn to dance (any of lots of different types).

I don't think it's possible to run out of potential physical goals. (It is possible to be uninterested in them, but . . . !)
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    For the can't lift heavier comment, I'm definitely not worried about getting "too big" I'm more worried about safety. I workout in a home gym and there's gonna be a limit to how heavy I can safely lift, what then?

I'm not being defeatist, this isn't a why bother post, I'm just looking for suggestions on new goals I can reach for once I top out, what have other people done in the past? Because come on there is no way you can get better forever!

I'm going to keep lifting and running no matter but I do way better with a program and goal in mind.

• BattyKnitter
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Or, take up new sports: Cycle, swim, triathlon, Crossfit, rowing (water or machine), kayaking, canoeing, baseball, softball, soccer, basketball, hundreds more. Increase your flexibility. Learn to dance (any of lots of different types).

I don't think it's possible to run out of potential physical goals. (It is possible to be uninterested in them, but . . . !)

New sports are definitely possible, do you stop lifting in that case? Or tailor your lifting program to better suit your new sport?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "there is no way you can get better forever!" Says who?! Even if getting better is maintaining against time. You can ALWAYS get better, in either absolute terms or in age graded terms.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    For the can't lift heavier comment, I'm definitely not worried about getting "too big" I'm more worried about safety. I workout in a home gym and there's gonna be a limit to how heavy I can safely lift, what then?

I'm not being defeatist, this isn't a why bother post, I'm just looking for suggestions on new goals I can reach for once I top out, what have other people done in the past? Because come on there is no way you can get better forever!

I'm going to keep lifting and running no matter but I do way better with a program and goal in mind.

Ahh So to answer your questions. Strong lifts, if I remember right is to do 1 set of weights 5 times then go up.
    So it looks like this 1X5 --> Why not make it 2X5 or 3X5..
    You can also put on less weights but do more reps until your muscle group fail.
    You can also go to a Gym.

Running - Do a 3k twice, once in the morning once at night. Or just do it twice.
    If you don't have time then try to increase your speed, so you could do it twice.
    Add a weighted vest and then run.

• BattyKnitter
    Options

Ahh So to answer your questions. Strong lifts, if I remember right is to do 1 set of weights 5 times then go up.

Running - Do a 3k twice, once in the morning once at night. Or just do it twice.
    If you don't have time then try to increase your speed, so you could do it twice.

It's 5 sets of 5 reps. I'm definitely not signing up to a gym after putting in all that money to build a home gym LOL!

Running with a weighted vest is a good idea though.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options

It's 5 sets of 5 reps. I'm definitely not signing up to a gym after putting in all that money to build a home gym LOL!

So to answer your question if its 1X5X5 then change it to 2X5X5.
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had this, so i looked at new sports. i took up obstacle course racing, it put my strength to the test and mentally was a nice challenge to! Maybe look fore events that are a little out the box for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

New sports are definitely possible, do you stop lifting in that case? Or tailor your lifting program to better suit your new sport?

You could choose to do either . . . depending on your goals. ;)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you take up new sports, there is always the possibility that there are new exercises to focus on to help with things like stronger kicks, higher jumps, faster rowing, different muscle groups to add to your lift routine. I'm not sure where you live, but around here, it is easy to change up activities based on the seasons, swimming in summer, skiing, showshoeing in the winter, etc. There are usually different clubs in different cities that offer adult sports ranging everything from yoga to basketball and anything else in between.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

So to answer your question if its 1X5X5 then change it to 2X5X5.

isn't that just 5x10? You could just add a rep instead 5x65, then 5x75, or find a new workout program that has higher rep ranges
  • Adizyliz
    Adizyliz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always think of maintaining as it's own goal...it's not easy! I like the idea of new sports or even a mini-triathalon, obstacle course races, etc. Yoga can also always stretch you to new limits.
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    Lots of great ideas everyone, thank you! I think with all this I will have new challenges and goals to reach for pretty much forever. It seems like for weight lifting you can just play around with programs/reps/sets/etc.
    Adizyliz wrote: »
    I always think of maintaining as it's own goal...it's not easy! I like the idea of new sports or even a mini-triathalon, obstacle course races, etc. Yoga can also always stretch you to new limits.

I totally get that maintenance is not easy and is it's own challenge/goal but when I stop seeing the scale drop I will need some other goal to work towards that helps me with maintenance. I'm still about 20 lbs away but trying to set myself up fro success now!