Calling all bibliophiles!

Replies

• AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Currently reading when they call you a terrorist by patrisse khan cullors & asha bandele. This year I'm trying out non fic books for a change. I've only listened to an audiobook once, few years ago. I'm definitely one of those people who think the book is better than the movie! I work in a library so that's handy :). I was a mega book worm when I was a teen but I lost my love for books at uni. Just never had time so getting a job at the library after finishing uni has been a blessing . It's nice to discuss books on here :). Do you buy books or borrow them from the library?
  • AutumLeaf
    NCK96 wrote: »
    I'm kind of weird in that I get on reading kicks where I'll read a book a day, then have months that go by where I read nothing. My goal on Goodreads this year is 50 books and I'm already woefully behind. I was reading The Alice Network a few months ago and just got stuck. It's still on my nighstand. I've listened to a few audiobooks but they usually annoy me because of the mannerisms and attempts at different voices for different characters by the narrators. I was going to my library about every week when I was on my last reading kick. I don't see a lot of movies and I often don't know if there was a book first, but I've seen a few movies I've liked and wondered if it was based on a book that I could find and read so I can dive back into that world for a little while.

I'm the same. I go through phases. My Goodreads goal this year is only 6 as I really struggled to read last year but I achieved the 6 last week :)
  • AutumLeaf
    Ray_Libby wrote: »
    I love to read and focus on history - especially WWII and the Founding of America and I read a a lot theology and Biblical study books. I usually read 3 to 5 books concurrently. I am reading Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem and a Bible Commentary by Robert Berg on 1- 3 John. I am reading Comrades by Stephen Ambrose and Ian Tolls Pacific Crucible about the first two years of the war in the Pacific. I also read on kindle and am reading Michael Anton - After the Flight 93 Election - The Vote that Saved America and What We Still Have to Lose. All of these I find are good reads so far with the book by Grudem being the biggest challenge for me but I am enjoying them all. I do listen to books on Audible but listen to more Podcasts that anything.

I can only read one book at a time, amazes me how people can read multiple! How do you choose which books to read & when?
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Diving into What Immortal Hand by Johnny Worthen, really enjoying it early on
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    I used to read frequently and need to make time for that again. My favourite series, for those into the whole fantasy genre, is The Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. It's epic.

My all time favourite is I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes (it's a fictional terrorism related story but the storytelling from different viewpoints is brilliant).
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    I used to read alot, then massive accounting and law textbooks came in college, been out of it for awhile, any recommendations to get me back into it?
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    I used to read alot, then massive accounting and law textbooks came in college, been out of it for awhile, any recommendations to get me back into it?

House of Leaves
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    iMago wrote: »

House of Leaves

7lbeii3ytbyy.png

Are you declaring war on me?
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member

House of Leaves

7lbeii3ytbyy.png

no way. i recommend that one to just about everyone. it's my favorite of all time. and you might just find yourself in it in some kind of way.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    At this time I'm re-reading Vol. 2 of Will Durant's Story of Civilization. I first read it when I was a young man.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Reading "The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence" by Carl Sagan.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    I am reading two books simultaneously: "Dreams From My Father" - Barack Obama and "Recovery: A Guide for Adult Children of Alcoholics" - Herbert L. Gravitz , Julie D. Bowden. Opposite ends of the spectrum.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member

House of Leaves

7lbeii3ytbyy.png

no way. i recommend that one to just about everyone. it's my favorite of all time. and you might just find yourself in it in some kind of way.

I need to read this. Reviews seem to be pretty polarizing but my wife just finished it earlier this year (after stopping and starting again from the beginning 2x previously) and her review was a treasure. She was lying on the couch finishing it up, I was lying in the floor reading something else when I’m startled by the “thump” of the book hitting the floor next to me.
    “Well, that was a gigantic waste of time.”

It’s been on my list since then tho cause now I’m curious
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    One book I couldn't put down was Born a Crime (Tever Noah from the daily show's book). True story of his life growing up in South Africa told in a funny way and interesting way.
  • Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    I am reading

The Night trade-Barry Eisler
    Mirror Gate- Jeff wheeler
    and
    Ubik-Phillip K Dick

Never really got into the audio books thing, still getting used to the E-reader to be honest. I love my Kindle but I still end up buying my favorite books hardcopy.

My local book store also sells records so I spend a lot of time there bargain hunting for old books and used records. Its a great place to hang out and one of the few left that isn't a big chain type even though there is nothing wrong with them I just like the local feel.

The book is ALWAYS better than the movie, cinema can only capture so much and its great in its own right but you cant beat an immersive book.

I looked up "The one" and it looks interesting and my type of book so its on the list thanks. I'm about to start looking at everyone else recommendations.
  • emeraldwoods4214
    emeraldwoods4214 Posts: 177 Member
    @Tankiscool
    I can totally relate about college killing my “reading for fun” ideas.... but once I graduated I rediscovered my love for books and I’ve been hitting my goal on goodreads every year! This year it’s 60 :)
    I know they’re kinda cheesy.... but I’m a dork and I love all the Robert Langston / Dan Brown novels. Those were the ones that got me back into the swing of reading feverishly because once you start, you never want to put them down!!
  • Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    shaf238 wrote: »
    I used to read frequently and need to make time for that again. My favourite series, for those into the whole fantasy genre, is The Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. It's epic.

My all time favourite is I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes (it's a fictional terrorism related story but the storytelling from different viewpoints is brilliant).

The Demon Cycle is amazing! I see you are a man of class lol!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Right now I just started A Storm of Swords in the GOT series. I had to take a little break between the last one and this one so I read the Start Trek novel Imzadi, lol. It was a lot of fun. Jumping back in to GOT, but plan on leaving out all of Theon's chapters :# . I read on my kindle and get a lot of free books from Amazon, sometimes I'll purchase some. I only go to the library for my son who is a great reader as well. I did recently discover our new Half Priced Books store and can't wait to go back! No audio books for me, but I do listen to podcasts in the car.
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Right now I just started A Storm of Swords in the GOT series. I had to take a little break between the last one and this one so I read the Start Trek novel Imzadi, lol. It was a lot of fun. Jumping back in to GOT, but plan on leaving out all of Theon's chapters :# . I read on my kindle and get a lot of free books from Amazon, sometimes I'll purchase some. I only go to the library for my son who is a great reader as well. I did recently discover our new Half Priced Books store and can't wait to go back! No audio books for me, but I do listen to podcasts in the car.

Bending the knee
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    One book I couldn't put down was Born a Crime (Tever Noah from the daily show's book). True story of his life growing up in South Africa told in a funny way and interesting way.

I just finished Born A Crime. I found it entertaining, but I wasnt a fan of the timeline jumping around between topics. I just started Orange is the New Black. It's old, but I haven't read it yet and need a filler before it's time to start the next book club selection.