Salad dressing

Options

Replies

• staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I like using houmous, though it's not exactly low cal. Filling, though!

Olive oil & balsamic, but light on the oil.

Just lemon juice and black pepper.

Little bit of sesame oil goes a long way as it's so flavourful, with rice wine vinegar.

Cottage cheese and hot sauce.

Yoghurt and Skyr with a bit of vinegar, dried chives, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper. Sort of like ranch.

Satay sauce with peanut butter or tahini, soy sauce, lemon or lime juice, water, cayenne pepper.
  • sarahEA88
    sarahEA88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Fat Free Greek. 5 calories per tablespoon with ingredients I've heard of: Water, Cider Vinegar, Sugar, Seasoning Blend (Salt, Sugar, Onion and Garlic, Spices, Natural Flavor), Cellulose Gum, Cellulose Gel, Spices, Potato Starch, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate (to Preserve Freshness)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    What is your favorite lower calorie salad dressing? I’m trying to get ideas for when I do my grocery shopping. My ranch that I’m currently using is about 150 calories...trying to save calories here.

Usually I reduce calories by only using half a serving and adding cottage cheese to equal the amount of lettuce in grams. (So 80 grams lettuce and 80 grams cottage cheese.)

In the summers I also make 1. The Joy of Cooking Ranch dressing recipe using plain yogurt and 2. JOC Tzatziki sauce, also with yogurt, and with fresh cucumber - it's a lot lighter than what I get with gyros from sub shops. I get the herbs from my garden, mmm, yum!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    People find different foods filling.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Ken's Steakhouse Lite Northern Italian dressing - seriously so good and 45 calories for 2T. All three of my children LOVE this dressing too!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Chickpeas are.

For that matter, I think a small serving of nuts can be.

(I don't actually like hummus, always go for baba ganoush and don't consider it especially filling, but some might!)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse yoghurt dressings, but I also use tzatziki a lot.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Rather than worry about low calorie, I go for what feels more real. Homemade! Nothing beats it.

Homemade ranch:

-equal parts mayonaise and sour cream (experiment with low or reduced fat; honestly, I use nonfat plain greek yogurt in place of the sour cream and use minimal mayo)
    -liberal dashes of dill, garlic powder, fresh or dehydrated chives
    -s n' p

Homemade balsamic vinegar (this is my favorite, but don't feel you have to use every single ingredient)

-olive oil
    -balsamic vinegar
    -a bit of red wine vinegar (balsamic ain't that tart)
    -crushed garlic
    -pinch of brown sugar
    -fresh or dried herbs (I love basil)
    -s n' p
    -squirt of dijon as emulsifier
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the Marzetti Apple Cider Vinaigrette for 60 cals per 2 tbsp.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    For store bought, I like fat free Italian, sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, fat free French, creamy Italian, Caesar, and green goddess.
    When making my own:
    Honey mustard dressing - plain yellow mustard, raw honey, safflower oil, apple cider vinegar, water
    Avocado lime - mashed avocado, lime juice, diluted with water
    Cilantro lime - yellow mustard, raw honey, lime juice
    Endless possibilities with making your own dressings.
  • staticsplit
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I like using houmous, though it's not exactly low cal. Filling, though!

Olive oil & balsamic, but light on the oil.

Just lemon juice and black pepper.

Little bit of sesame oil goes a long way as it's so flavourful, with rice wine vinegar.

Cottage cheese and hot sauce.

Yoghurt and Skyr with a bit of vinegar, dried chives, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper. Sort of like ranch.

Satay sauce with peanut butter or tahini, soy sauce, lemon or lime juice, water, cayenne pepper.

Please do explain how hummus is filling? Come on......... proper hummus rivals peanutbutter in the calorie department. Is that also filling?

Hummus and peanut butter are regular staples for me. The fats help keep me satisfied. As my satay dressing is cut with soy, lemon juice etc it tends to be a bit lower in calories than when I just use hummus as a dressing.
  • staticsplit
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Chickpeas are.

(I don't actually like hummus, always go for baba ganoush and don't consider it especially filling, but some might!)

Eat 10 oranges or drink one cup of juice. Which one will be filling? Same thing applies here.

You seem strangely antagonistic about hummus. No one is forcing anyone to eat it. And personally ten oranges would leave me temporarily full but not necessarily satisfied. Not everyone is a volume eater.
  • cherrybomb526
    cherrybomb526 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad “dressing” is fresh squeezed lime juice with Trader Joe’s chili lime seasoning sprinkled all over! But I love very tart salads!
  • speekee
    speekee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is the Skinny Girl available in grocery stores?
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Chickpeas are.

Eat 10 oranges or drink one cup of juice. Which one will be filling? Same thing applies here.

Different things are filling for different people. I think it's really rare to find juice more filling than the equivalent fruit, obv, but things like fat or mixed macros can be more significant than macros, and individual foods can just be different for different people.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas are.

You seem strangely antagonistic about hummus. No one is forcing anyone to eat it. And personally ten oranges would leave me temporarily full but not necessarily satisfied. Not everyone is a volume eater.

All...that...fiber...!
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    speekee wrote: »
    Is the Skinny Girl available in grocery stores?

Yes. Walmart carries it.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I use different salsas frequently as dressing. Usually they only have about 10 calories per 2 tablespoons. It's a good option at restaurants that don't offer a low Cal options - most have salsa. Another restaurant option is non- butter based wing sauces. I dilute it with lemon juice, water or wine - think Thai Chili, maple chipotle, honey mustard, etc...
  • becarrah
    becarrah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I enjoy The Ginger People Ginger Peanut Sauce as a salad dressing. 25 calories for two tablespoons. I like to add a couple of drops of sesame oil. Also Rachael Ray Balsamic Glaze. 20 calories per tablespoon. Both full of flavor for much fewer calories than traditional salad dressings.
  • cheyeneinthesprings
    cheyeneinthesprings Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So I like chickpeas but I don’t like hummus. Is that weird?